Christian living and paying taxes...help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homeby5

Oct 30, 2022
Key Largo
✟17,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys,
I'm a seasoned believer but am having a hard time with the theology of paying taxes in each and every situation.
My example is that I live in an area where there is a shortage of housing and high rent. Housing is strictly regulated and because of the housing shortages, people illegally rent out all kinds of attachments to their house.
Anyway...I built a home with an attached apartment because my parents were elderly and they needed full term care and wanted to live with me. Because of strict building codes I installed an illegal kitchen in the attached apartment. They lived with me for about 5 years. My Father passed and my Mother went into a full time facility.
Ok...now I rent the apartment out to a young girl. She pays me cash. If I claim it as rental income then it can possibly open a door of a LOT of problems. If the county finds out then I may have to tear out my kitchen for the tenant. Also...my daughter lives across the street and she may one day need to live there. I don't want to go down the road of claiming income, writing off deductions, etc... because of the problems listed above. Also...the extra income from the cash may cause insurance issues because I had a stroke in 2009 and am on SSDI.
My problem is that I am trying to justify not reporting the cash I get from her renting part of my home. I know the verses in Romans and the Gospels about paying the Gov't what is required. I have read theological opinions on the subject. But in this day and age, is that "rule" applicable to our tax codes, especially given the complexity? Is it a sin if someone doesn't pay all the tax for every bit of income in each and every situation? If we get down to it...then every time someone works for $50 for a side gig, then are we supposed to report it as income?
Now...I am a logical Bible believing Christian and part of me says yes...I should pay every cent of the taxes. But another part of me says that Paul and Christ was referring to Christians obeying the orders of the Roman State and not causing an uprising while expecting a new Jewish (or Christian) kingdom. In other words...it was not to cause treason. Also...
Anyway...what do you guys think? I know that deep down I am looking for justification but please give me some theological reasoning?
Thanks guys and thanks for having me here :)

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys,
I'm a seasoned believer but am having a hard time with the theology of paying taxes in each and every situation.
My example is that I live in an area where there is a shortage of housing and high rent. Housing is strictly regulated and because of the housing shortages, people illegally rent out all kinds of attachments to their house.
Anyway...I built a home with an attached apartment because my parents were elderly and they needed full term care and wanted to live with me. Because of strict building codes I installed an illegal kitchen in the attached apartment. They lived with me for about 5 years. My Father passed and my Mother went into a full time facility.
Ok...now I rent the apartment out to a young girl. She pays me cash. If I claim it as rental income then it can possibly open a door of a LOT of problems. If the county finds out then I may have to tear out my kitchen for the tenant. Also...my daughter lives across the street and she may one day need to live there. I don't want to go down the road of claiming income, writing off deductions, etc... because of the problems listed above. Also...the extra income from the cash may cause insurance issues because I had a stroke in 2009 and am on SSDI.
My problem is that I am trying to justify not reporting the cash I get from her renting part of my home. I know the verses in Romans and the Gospels about paying the Gov't what is required. I have read theological opinions on the subject. But in this day and age, is that "rule" applicable to our tax codes, especially given the complexity? Is it a sin if someone doesn't pay all the tax for every bit of income in each and every situation? If we get down to it...then every time someone works for $50 for a side gig, then are we supposed to report it as income?
Now...I am a logical Bible believing Christian and part of me says yes...I should pay every cent of the taxes. But another part of me says that Paul and Christ was referring to Christians obeying the orders of the Roman State and not causing an uprising while expecting a new Jewish (or Christian) kingdom. In other words...it was not to cause treason. Also...
Anyway...what do you guys think? I know that deep down I am looking for justification but please give me some theological reasoning?
There is another scripture, that is a commandment of God that says thou shalt not bear false witness. Exodus 20:16

Personally I think we should always follow the instructions of the Bible and God has a way of taking care of us if we place our trust in Him. Sometimes it’s not always easy, but the heavenly reward is far greater than this temporary worldly reward. I would pray on it and perhaps talk to an accountant to see if there is some tax advantage you might not be aware of, but regardless I would be honest.

God bless!

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Mary and Joseph were told by the angel to return 'another way' to avoid the authorities and keep Jesus safe.
Curious what violation of the law are you insinuating this to be? Being guided by an Angel from one who is trying to kill Christ is quite different than not being truthful on your taxes.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys,
Welcome to CF. Your first problem is renting an illegal unit. This space is not insured. If there( God forbid) is a fire, your insurance company will not pay out. Second, your tenant can sue you for damages, plus, renting an unsafe unit.
Any unit not permitted is deemed unsafe.
So you have to walk this completely back. Tear out all the appliances and plumbing and submit your request to the city to add these things.
Anyway, I'm in the business and lecture all my clients( not that you are) who want to go above the law. My apologies if this is TMI.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF. Your first problem is renting an illegal unit. This space is not insured. If there( God forbid) is a fire, your insurance company will not pay out. Second, your tenant can sue you for damages, plus, renting an unsafe unit.
Any unit not permitted is deemed unsafe.
So you have to walk this completely back. Tear out all the appliances and plumbing and submit your request to the city to add these things.
Anyway, I'm in the business and lecture all my clients( not that you are) who want to go above the law. My apologies if this is TMI.
Blessings.
Good points!

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys,
Give to the government what is the government’s and to God what is God’s.

Someone told me if you use an unlicensed contractor to do sub-standard work like a faulty roofing job, the insurance company will void your claim.

I met a property manager when I was on a condo board of directors. He told me he used an unlicensed contractor at a different condo complex and was sued by the homeowners when the repairs failed.

I knew an apartment manager. She told me some of the apartments were over occupied, but she could not do anything about it. I did not report it to the county either. It is difficult to prove.

Upvote 0

Homeby5

Oct 30, 2022
Key Largo
✟17,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good points!
There is another scripture, that is a commandment of God that says thou shalt not bear false witness. Exodus 20:16

Personally I think we should always follow the instructions of the Bible and God has a way of taking care of us if we place our trust in Him. Sometimes it’s not always easy, but the heavenly reward is far greater than this temporary worldly reward. I would pray on it and perhaps talk to an accountant to see if there is some tax advantage you might not be aware of, but regardless I would be honest.

God bless!
What do you mean "false witness". I haven't lied to the tenant or anyone else. I simply added some appliances after the final inspection.
I guess I was hoping to have a in depth discussion on applying a convoluted tax law that we live in with the Roman system that the Jewish Christians were told to obey. How does any Christian follow our laws to the "T" today? Do any do it yourselfers repair a roof on weekends? Change out a water heater without a city inspection? Or if someone buys you a dinner, do you claim the value on your taxes as a gift? What about rolling a stop sign? Speeding 5mph over? I could go on and on. Is there a line where it is not a sin to obey minor laws?
I built the apartment legally but added appliances because my parents needed a place to live. They couldn't afford to live on their own or afford assisted living. I simply did what I had to do. Now I rent it out because of the cost of building the place hurt my finances. I need the extra income. But again...I am not looking for justification of my specific issue. If I am sinning, I am sinning and am in prayer about it because I firmly believe I shouldn't sin and continuing in unrepentant sin would make me question my salvation. So, I came here looking for a theological discussion on how other Christians deal with Pauls commands to obey the laws when it's darn near impossible in todays world?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean "false witness". I haven't lied to the tenant or anyone else. I simply added some appliances after the final inspection.
I guess I was hoping to have a in depth discussion on applying a convoluted tax law that we live in with the Roman system that the Jewish Christians were told to obey. How does any Christian follow our laws to the "T" today? Do any do it yourselfers repair a roof on weekends? Change out a water heater without a city inspection? Or if someone buys you a dinner, do you claim the value on your taxes as a gift? What about rolling a stop sign? Speeding 5mph over? I could go on and on. Is there a line where it is not a sin to obey minor laws?
I built the apartment legally but added appliances because my parents needed a place to live. They couldn't afford to live on their own or afford assisted living. I simply did what I had to do. Now I rent it out because of the cost of building the place hurt my finances. I need the extra income. But again...I am not looking for justification of my specific issue. If I am sinning, I am sinning and am in prayer about it because I firmly believe I shouldn't sin and continuing in unrepentant sin would make me question my salvation. So, I came here looking for a theological discussion on how other Christians deal with Pauls commands to obey the laws when it's darn near impossible in todays world?
I was referring to your taxes, you said you didn't claim the income you're receiving. You asked for advice and my advice was to be honest. While the scripture quotes being corporative with government agencies on taxes, which still is very relevant today- I mean who doesn't pay taxes, there is an important commandment that says to not bear false witness Exodus 20, which means we need to be truthful. If we want to live according to God's will, I personally would be truthful on the income you're receiving, this is my advice. God has a way of taking care of those who do His will, so my advice is to trust God and do what He asks of us and believe He will have a way of taking care of you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Repentance means " to change ones mind". Hope this helps.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys,
Ok since your not concered with an illegal unit let me give you this scenario. Our Father does not want us to be dishonest when it comes to government taxes. He knows if we hide cash eventually we will get caught by the IRS. They are not stupid. I dont know what you are doing with the cash whether it's under a mattress or your actually making deposits ( this will get you flagged) , you should know there is a " trgger" amount when banks , vendors and yourself has to file paper work to report the cash. If you dont do this ,you will get audited. God does not want that for you. Read under Landlords.
Understand how to report large cash transactions | Internal Revenue Service.

https://money.usnews.com/banking/ar...sh-does-your-bank-report-it-to-the-government

Report of Cash Payments Over 10000 Received in a Trade or Business Motor Vehicle Dealership QAs | Internal Revenue Service
My Theological two cents.
Blessings.
Edit: Failure to file is a felony.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟226,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theologically speaking, if you are hiding something from the government, that is false witness. It doesn't matter how complicated the tax laws are, you are intentionally deceiving the government so that you can keep the money. It's really as simple as that.

I see other difficulties as well. You mentioned your daughter. I assume that the house will go to her when you pass. She will be the one who has to deal with the ramifications of this illegal unit. As someone who had to clean up the mess my parents left behind, I urge you not to do this.

Maria Billingsley made some very important points. We have laws that the Bible is clear that we are to follow. The fact that you are asking the question shows that you know that what you are doing is wrong, but you appear to be looking for ways to justify it (though you say you're not). I hope that you will think clearly about this matter and do the right thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Enilorac

Jun 26, 2021
Denver
✟35,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. You are bearing false witness, that is lying about your income. SSDI is VERY strict on income limits and if you are not declaring the rental income and they find out, they can and will strip you of your benefits and put a lien on your property until you pay it back in full. Then there's the issue of the IRS. Not reporting income is a BIG deal to them. Lastly, being a liar is not compatible with one who claims to love Jesus. Remember Annaias and Sapphira? They lied and died.

Upvote 0

Homeby5

Oct 30, 2022
Key Largo
✟17,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was referring to your taxes, you said you didn't claim the income you're receiving. You asked for advice and my advice was to be honest. While the scripture quotes being corporative with government agencies on taxes, which still is very relevant today- I mean who doesn't pay taxes, there is an important commandment that says to not bear false witness Exodus 20, which means we need to be truthful. If we want to live according to God's will, I personally would be truthful on the income you're receiving, this is my advice. God has a way of taking care of those who do His will, so my advice is to trust God and do what He asks of us and believe He will have a way of taking care of you.
Thanks for your advice. And while I don't disagree, I was hoping for a little deeper discussion.
As far a False Witness...A false witness is one who stands up and swears before others that something untrue is true, especially with the intention of hurting someone else or ruining his reputation. It's pretty clear with the entire quote “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor”.

Upvote 0

Homeby5

Oct 30, 2022
Key Largo
✟17,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, I guess you guys believe in strict literality when reading scripture in every situation and the context of the society or era doesn't come into play?
I believe Pauls intention was that he was telling the Jewish Christians in Rome to not look to overthrow the Gov't and obey the laws. IOW...be a good citizen and testimony. He had just finished addressing that Christ was the true King but we live under God structured authority. So yes...we try to become good citizens but in our modern era but is it a sin to not obey EVERY law today? Or does EVERY example Paul writes still apply?
Are women allowed to wear jewelry or braid hair(I Tim 2:9-10)? Or is the point that women should simply be modest to be a good testimony in their era? Since we are told to obey the laws, do you repent of your sin from rolling a stop sign? Or is the intention to be a good citizen? Is having an apartment to take care of parents a sin because of some far fetched ordinance or is it honoring my Father and Mother?

• Useful
Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟478,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your advice. And while I don't disagree, I was hoping for a little deeper discussion.
As far a False Witness...A false witness is one who stands up and swears before others that something untrue is true, especially with the intention of hurting someone else or ruining his reputation. It's pretty clear with the entire quote “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor”.

For your reference:
bear false witness
To lie about or misrepresent the truth about some event, person, or thing. In common usage, it usually refers to perjury(telling a lie while under oath in a court of law) or to the Ninth Commandment in the Bible, from which the phrase is taken: "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."

False witness simply means to lie, which is a violation of God’s eternal moral code found in Exodus 20.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Homeby5

Oct 30, 2022
Key Largo
✟17,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For your reference:
bear false witness
To lie about or misrepresent the truth about some event, person, or thing. In common usage, it usually refers to perjury(telling a lie while under oath in a court of law) or to the Ninth Commandment in the Bible, from which the phrase is taken: "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."

False witness simply means to lie, which is a violation of God’s eternal moral code found in Exodus 20.

God bless!
Ok...but doesn't context matter? Let me give an example:
I had a stroke in 2009. The pain was so bad the installed an internal spinal pump that infuses medicine. They also give me opiates. Now...my Mother is a full blown addict. Horror stories for decades that everyone who deals with addictive family can relate too. I "lied" to her and told her I no longer have pills because she would do anything to get them when she lived in the apartment. This means breaking into my home, safe, etc.. Would this be "bearing false witness"? Was it a sin? Or was the motive pure and the "lie" actually helping my Mother?
Sooo...as I asked before...if it is a sin to not obey our laws in every situation, where do you draw the line? Rolling a stop sign? Speeding 1 mph over? Jaywalking? Not paying taxes when someone gives you $100 to help you in need? Can women braid their hair? Can they wear jewelry? What about a woman cutting her hair short? Or do we look at Paul's intent for the broader meaning of how a Christian should live in the society they exist?
I pay taxes and try to be honest as possible. But in some situations, is it Ok for me to make a personal decision to avoid certain taxes due to other circumstances? I'm not saying I won't pay the rental income but I'm trying to decide what God would say if I could ask Him directly in this situation. As someone said before...is this a Romans 14 issue?

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.