Barnsley, UK
✟16,378.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Here's the coat of arms of Slovakia, which is where some of my family are from. The double cross is clearly Byzantine (I believe due to their being evangelised by Sts. Cyril and Methodius) which always struck me as odd for a mostly RC country.

James

Attachments

• sk).gif
    sk).gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0
P

Pravoslavnii

A piece of history.

When someone mentions the name of Dracula they think of a vampire. His name actually means 'The son of a Dragon'. He also was nicknamed 'Vlad the Impaler', for a good reason.

What many don't know that he contributed to the death of many ottoman turks. Wallachia actually served as a shield for Russia against muslim invaders. He was one of the many brave Romanian christian warriors against islamic kaliphate.

Prince Vlad, or as he was called even in his own time, Dracula (which means "Son of the Dragon") tops the list of Romania's many, many Christian crusaders who, in the transition years between the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, fought to keep the Muslim-faithed Ottoman Turks out of their country.
Odd that a name known for stirring nightmares actually belonged to a crusader of a religious cause!
Still, Dracula was not a saint. He ruled his military kingdom of Wallachia – southern Romania – with a heavy and blood-soaked fist. To not only the Turks but also to many of his own countrymen he was Vlad The Impaler, Vlad Die Tepes (pronounced Tee-pish). Determined not to be overtaken by the intrigue of an intriguing political underhandedness, in a world in which princes fell daily to smiling, hypocritical "allies," paranoia among the aristocracy was, and probably needed to be, utmost in a sovereign's disposition. Dracula built a defense around him that dared not open kindness nor trust to anyone. During his tenure, he killed by the droves, impaling on a forest of spikes around his castle thousands of subjects who he saw as either traitors, would-be traitors or enemies to the security of Romania and the Roman Catholic Church. Sometimes, he slew merely to show other possible insurgents and criminals just what their fate would be if they became troublesome.
1b.jpg
Vlad Dracula
(AP)A pamphlet published in Nuremburg, Germany, immediately following his death in 1476, tells of his burning beggars after allowing them free food at his court. "He felt they were eating the people's food for nothing, and could not repay it," the broadside explains. And there are countless of other tales of Dracula's wickedness written down ages ago, many of which will be related in this article.
But, Vlad Dracula was more than just a medieval despot. Biographers Radu R. Florescu and Raymond T. McNally call him "a man of many faces". He was a politician; a voivode (warrior); an erudite and well-learned gentleman when the occasion-to-be fit; and, as has been indicated, he was a mass murderer. He spoke several languages – Romanian, Turkish, Latin and German – and steeped himself in the use of broadsword and crossbow. He was an equestrian, riding at the head of his attacking army like a Berskerker. At three separate times, Dracula governed Wallachia, one of three Hungarian principalities that later merged with the others – Transylvania (to the north) and Moldavia (to the east) – to become the country of Romania. Because Wallachia, his province, sat directly above the open Danube River Plain, which separated the Ottoman Empire from free Romania, his was the frontal defense against the non- Christian Turks. Despite his cruelties and severe punishments, and because of his seething hatred for anything Turkish, he is considered today a national hero by the populace. Because he died in warfare against the foe, even fought against a brother whom he considered a sell-out to the enemy, he is often upheld as a martyr. Statues stand in his honor, and his birthplace at Sighisoara and resting-place at Snagov are considered almost canonical.
"Though many Westerners are baffled that a man whose political and military career was as steeped in blood as was that of Vlad Dracula," writes Elizabeth Miller for Journal of the Dark magazine, "the fact remains that for many Romanians he is an icon of heroism...It is this duality that is part of his appeal."
The adventurous life led by Dracula put him in contact with the era's most fascinating people, among them "White Knight" Jonas Hunyadi, Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus and the ambitious Sultan Mehmed of Turkey. In his lifetime, Dracula witnessed the rising use of gunpowder as a means of destruction, the Holy Crusades, the fall of Constantinople and the nouveau philosophy of art, alchemy and culture that became known as the Renaissance.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_killers/history/vlad/index_1.html

ro).gif

Description of the coat of arms

Coat of arms adopted 24 September 1992.

The following is copied from the Romanian government's page about the Romanian coat of arms:
Romania's coat of arms has as a central element the golden eagle with cross. Traditionally, this eagle appears in the arms of the Arges county, the town of Pitesti and the town of Curtea de Arges. It stands for the "nest of the Basarabs," the nucleus around which Wallachia, was organised, the province that determined the historical fate of the whole Romania. The eagle, being the symbol of Latinity and a heraldic bird of the first order, symbolises courage, determination, the soaring toward great heights, power, grandeur. It is to be found also in Transylvania's coat of arms. The shield on which it is placed is azure, symbolising the sky. The eagle holds in its talons the insignia of sovereignty: a sceptre and a sabre, the latter reminding of Moldavia's ruler, Stephen the Great (1456-1504), also called "Christ's athlete" whereas the sceptre reminds of Michael the Brave (1593-1601), the first unifier of the Romanian Countries. On the bird's chest there is a quartered escutcheon with the symbols of the historical Romanian provinces (Wallachia, Moldavia, Transylvania, Banat and Crisana) as well as two dolphins reminding of the country's Black Sea Coast. In the first quarter there is again Wallachia's coat of arms on azure: an eagle or holding in its beak a golden Orthodox cross, accompanied by a golden sun on the right and a golden new moon on the left. In the second quarter there is Moldavia's traditional coat of arms, gules: an auroch head sable with a mullet of or between its horns, a cinquefoil rose on the dexter and a waning crescent on the sinister, both argent. The third quarter features the traditional coat of arms of Banat and Oltenia, gules: over waves, a golden bridge with two arched openings (symbolising Roman emperor Trajan's bridge over the Danube), wherefrom comes a golden lion holding a broadsword in its right forepaw. The fourth quarter shows the coat of arms of Transylvania with Maramures and Crisana: a shield parted by a narrow fesse, gules; in the chief, on azure, there is an eagle sable with golden beak coming out of the fesse, accompanied by a golden sun on the dexter and a crescent argent on the sinister; on the base, on or, there are seven crenellated towers, placed four and three. Also represented are the lands adjacent to the Black Sea, on azure: two dolphins affronts, head down.

Upvote 0

Ioan cel Nou

Jul 15, 2005
Barnsley, UK
✟16,378.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Pravoslavnii said:
When someone mentions the name of Dracula they think of a vampire. His name actually means 'The son of a Dragon'. He also was nicknamed 'Vlad the Impaler', for a good reason.
This is, I'm afraid, western misunderstanding and not historical fact. Firstly Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler) and Vlad Dracul are two distinct voievods of Tara Romaneasca (Wallachia), the former being the grandson of the latter. The second problem with your information is that drac means devil, not dragon. The word for dragon in Romanian is balaur so for Vlad Tepes to be known as 'the son of the dragon' he would have had to have been title Vlad Balaurului or possibly Balaurescu as that's roughly what the -escu ending on Romanian surnames means. Vlad Dracul, however, means Vlad the Devil and was granted to the voievod as a nickname due to his fighting ferociously against the Turkish invaders. Dracula, however, has no meaning in Romanian and is a grammatical impossibility as it would be roughly like saying the he/she devil.
Your information on the Romanian coat of arms, however, is correct.

James

Upvote 0
P

Pravoslavnii

jmbejdl said:
This is, I'm afraid, western misunderstanding and not historical fact. Firstly Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler) and Vlad Dracul are two distinct voievods of Tara Romaneasca (Wallachia), the former being the grandson of the latter.

Vlad III (1431-1476) was nicknamed as Vlad Dracula and Vlad the impaler. I didn't claim he was nicknamed Vlad Dracul, but Dracula. :)

Vlad III, bijgenaamd Vlad Ţepeş of Vlad Dracula (november/december 1431 - december 1476), was vorst van Walachije in 1448, van 1456 tot 1462 en in 1476. Hij is de historische figuur waaraan Bram Stoker hoogstwaarschijnlijk de naam van de romanfiguur Dracula ontleende.

Vlad III, nicknamed Vlad Tepes or Vlad Dracula was a ruler of Walachia in 1448, from 1458 until 1462 and in 1476. He was a histrocial figure to which Bram Stoker dedicated the name of his novel Dracula.

Here is my source:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_Tepes

The second problem with your information is that drac means devil, not dragon. The word for dragon in Romanian is balaur so for Vlad Tepes to be known as 'the son of the dragon' he would have had to have been title Vlad Balaurului or possibly Balaurescu as that's roughly what the -escu ending on Romanian surnames means. Vlad Dracul, however, means Vlad the Devil and was granted to the voievod as a nickname due to his fighting ferociously against the Turkish invaders. Dracula, however, has no meaning in Romanian and is a grammatical impossibility as it would be roughly like saying the he/she devil.
Your information on the Romanian coat of arms, however, is correct.

James

Vlad III werd in 1431 geboren in Sighişoara als derde zoon (zijn broers waren Mircea en Radu) van Vlad II van Walachije, een ridder van de orde van de draak, een heilige Romeinse orde onder leiding van keizer Sigismund. Zij vochten tegen de Turken.

Het symbool van deze orde was een draak, het symbool van de duivel. Draak is in het Roemeens "dracul", de vader van Vlad was "dracul" en vlad zelf "dracula", wat zoon van "dracul" betekent ofwel de zoon van de draak. Later werd Vlad's naam in verband gebracht met de duivel. "Drac" is in het Roemeens duivel.

Vlad III was born in 1431 in Sighisoara as the third son of Vlad II of Walachia, a knight of the order of the dragon, a Holy Roman order under the leadership of emperor Sigismund. The battled against the turks.

The symbol of this order was a dragon. the symbol of the devil. Dragon is in the Romainian dracul, the father of Vlad was dracul and Vlad himself was Dracula what the son of the dragon means. Later Vlad's name was connected to the devil. "Drac' is in Romanian devil.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_Tepes

I have to blame it on the inaccuracy of my source if you have a better source. :) But you are probably right..

Upvote 0

Ioan cel Nou

Jul 15, 2005
Barnsley, UK
✟16,378.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Pravoslavnii said:
I have to blame it on the inaccuracy of my source if you have a better source. :) But you are probably right..

Believe me, I'm not blaming you. You're far from the first person I've seen quoting such sources unaware that they are incorrect. I can only tell you that I learnt the history of Vlad Tepes and his cousin Sf. Stefan cel Mare in Romania from Romanians and what they say tallies up with the language whereas the western sources do not. I'm pretty fluent in Romanian and drac does not mean dragon. You see it used quite commonly in every day speach, such as the phrase 'Du-te dracului', 'Go to the devil'. Dracula is also, as I pointed out, a grammatical impossibility in Romanian as the -ul ending is the masculine definite article and -a the feminine definite article. Dracului would be possible as that is the genitive/dative form but even that would not translate to son of the dragon. The vast majority of the supposed historical sources available in the west are based on Hungarian and Saxon propaganda against Vlad Tepes (not that he didn't warrant such attacks) and I'm not surprised that they get the etymology wrong given the similarity between drac and various Germanic words for dragon. Balaur, however, is quite distinctly different.

James

Upvote 0
P

Pravoslavnii

jmbejdl said:
Believe me, I'm not blaming you. You're far from the first person I've seen quoting such sources unaware that they are incorrect. I can only tell you that I learnt the history of Vlad Tepes and his cousin Sf. Stefan cel Mare in Romania from Romanians and what they say tallies up with the language whereas the western sources do not. I'm pretty fluent in Romanian and drac does not mean dragon. You see it used quite commonly in every day speach, such as the phrase 'Du-te dracului', 'Go to the devil'. Dracula is also, as I pointed out, a grammatical impossibility in Romanian as the -ul ending is the masculine definite article and -a the feminine definite article. Dracului would be possible as that is the genitive/dative form but even that would not translate to son of the dragon. The vast majority of the supposed historical sources available in the west are based on Hungarian and Saxon propaganda against Vlad Tepes (not that he didn't warrant such attacks) and I'm not surprised that they get the etymology wrong given the similarity between drac and various Germanic words for dragon. Balaur, however, is quite distinctly different.

James

Thanks for the clarification. Romanians are not the only ones who suffer from historical bigotry so I understand how you feel. Now I think of it, Romanian and Latin are pretty similar and -a can only be used when describing a woman. (I've learnt some latin school but forgot most of it, this just sprung up in my memory)

Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
P

Pravoslavnii

More about the Belarussian coat of arms:

Belarus_Coat_of_Arms%2C_1991.png

The Pahonia (Belarusian: Паго́ня, translated as Chase) is a historical symbol of Belarus. The official coat of arms of Belarus depicted the Pahonia from 1991 to 1995.

The heraldic shield features a red field with an armored knight on a white (silver) horse holding a silver sword in his right hand above his head. A silver shield hangs on the left shoulder of the charging knight, and a Cross of Lorraine-like double gold (yellow) cross appears on the shield.

At first the charging knight showed the figure of the ruler of the country, but with time it came to be understood and interpreted as that of a riding knight chasing an intruder out of his native country. Such an understanding became especially popular in the 19th century and in the first half of 20th century. The explanation has a sound historical foundation. We know that at the Battle of Grunwald (1410), where the united Polish-Lithuanian-Belarusian army crushed the army of the Teutonic Knights (thus putting an end to the Knights' eastward expansion) thirty Belarusian and Lithuanian regiments out of a total of forty fought under banners flying the sign of the Pahonia.
With minor stylistic changes, the Pahonia coat of arms remained the state symbol of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania until 1795, when the Russian Empire annexed Belarus. The Pahonia then became incorporated into the imperial state emblem.

During Soviet times the emblem remained forbidden and used only by Belarusian emigrant communities in the USA, Canada etc. During the Second World War the Belarusian Central Rada - a puppet Nazi régime in Belarus - used the Pahonia symbol, but this gained little popular support amongst Belarusians. In late 1980s, during a new wave of Belarusian national rebirth, the Belarusian Popular Front adopted the Pahonia as its coat of arms, despite the fact that its public display constituted a criminal offense. In 1990, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Pahonia became the coat of arms of the independent Republic of Belarus.
In 1995, following a controversial referrendum, Alexander Lukashenko scrapped the Pahonia's status as the official coat of arms and replaced it with a modified Soviet one. Since then the Pahonia has served as one of the symbols of the anti-Lukashenko opposition in Belarus.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=11iffoo7b5aw4?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Pahonia&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc04b&linktext=Pahonia

250px-Belarus_coa.png

The National Emblem of Belarus in its current form was adopted in a referendum in 1995 that observers said did not meet minimum democratic standards. It is similar to the emblem used by Belarus when it was part of the Soviet Union but with some modifications.
The biggest difference from the emblem of the Soviet days and the current one is that the hammer and sickle found on the Soviet era emblem has been replaced by an outline of Belarus. The other difference is that the banner contains the name of the nation, translated as "Republic of Belarus" rather than containing the legend of "Byelorussian SSR".

http://www.answers.com/topic/coat-of-arms-of-belarus

Upvote 0
P

Pravoslavnii

How could I forget the coat of arms of the first nation that accepted Christianity as it's state religion:

Coa_Armenia.jpg

The Coat of Arms of Armenia consists of an eagle and a lion supporting a shield. The coat of arms combines new and old symbols. The eagle and lion are ancient Armenian symbols dating from the first Armenian kingdoms that existed prior to Christ.
The shield itself consists of many components. In the center is a depiction of Mount Ararat, where Noah's ark supposedly came to rest after the great flood. Surrounding Mount Ararat are symbols of old Armenian dynasties. In the lower left is the emblem of the Artaxiad Dynasty that ruled in the 1st century BC. In the upper left is the emblem for the Bagratid dynasty that ruled during the Middle Ages, between 7th and 11th centuries. That dynasty was destroyed by the Byzantine Empire's encroachment and by Seljuk invasions in the 11th century AD. In the upper right is the emblem of the first dynasty to reign over a Christian Armenia, the Arsacid Dynasty of Armenia. This dynasty ruled from the 1st century AD to 428 AD. In the lower right is the emblem of the Rubenid dynasty. This dynasty reigned in Lesser Armenia (also known as Cilicia), a nation that expanded and prospered during the 12th and 13th centuries, although the Mamelukes and Turks would eventually destroy it.
Subsequently, foreign powers ruled Armenia until 1918, after which the nation enjoyed a brief period of independence. This coat of arms originates from that period, and the sword at the bottom symbolizes the end of outside rule and a desire to defend Armenia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_Arms_of_Armenia

Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ελευθερια η Θανατος

Greek Coat of Arms..adopted 1975

eekcoatofarms.gif

Old Greek Flag..for land use..1822-1978

alternategreekflag.gif

New Greek flag for land and sea...1978-present

greekflag.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.