Christian Heavy Metal or Death Metal is not Christian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We live in a fallen world and have become desensitized to most evils. This includes forms of music, comedy, movies, to name a few. When you truly come to know the Lord your soul changes and you don't find many of those things interesting any longer because you have a different awareness. I use to listen to heavy metal music, (and Gangster Rap) was a huge horror flick fan and my favorite time of year was Halloween. Was I a bad person? Well, not to the fallen world, but did any of those things please God? Of course not. Then, once I came to know God (Jesus) I changed inside. I no longer had interest in that type of stuff because I am aware they cannot be pleasing to the one I worship. It's not really complicated.

I've tried listening to the Christian versions of "MetalCore" music and although I can't understand most of the words, the instrumentation itself still sounds aggressive and demonic to me.

When I work out I like something a little heavier though to keep me motivated and to aid in my energy level, but I'm careful to what I choose and who am I to say even some of that is pleasing to God? I've read and listened (Audiobooks) of people who've died and have claimed to have gone to Heaven. In one account, the man says the music was unbelievable and it was a mixture of old and modern sounds, some of which he's never heard before, blended in with singing and constant praising. How amazing that will be. He came back to his human body before he entered the gates but he said the thing he missed most was the music.

After it's all said and done, I believe God knows our hearts so I don't get too caught up in the details of things because my intent is to please Him and you'll know when you are, or aren't.

• Useful
Reactions: Angel_Stewart
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I used to listen to Christian rock like DC Talk and what not but I always felt they did it more the fame. Not to mention they charge alot for tickets, shirts....etc. And sometimes christian music just feels weird when they try to switch to new genres. I get they are trying to attract new generations of people who listen to new stuff, but sometimes the genre just doesn't work well with christian music. Such as the topic here of death metal.

I mean technically speaking when rock and roll came out christians said it was the devils music. ANd Elvis.... those evil hip movements he had lol. Actually christians have been calling any new type of music evil. Its usually something we do because we just don't understand the younger folks taste in music. However with death metal or rap, I just think it doesn't sound right for christian music.

The concept here is the tone of music that one is playing. Does the tone of music that pushes a certain emotion that the Bible condemns? This is why I believe Christian Heavy Metal and Christian Death Metal is condemned in the Bible. It pushes anger by it's own tone or beat (Despite the lyrics).

Again, the Bible condemns anger and wrath for the believer. See Ephesians 4:31 and Colossians 3:8.

You said:
Well technically speaking owning the internet is evil. The vast amount of money made on the internet is from inappropriate content. You may not look at inappropriate content but sites or emails and what not you use deal with inappropriate content in one way or another. Yahoo, Google...etc allow inappropriate content to be searched on them. So using them supports inappropriate content (among other evil things). Buying a computer means you bought something that was made by kids who are likely starving, sick and abused in countries like China. Theres a reason so many workers jump off of buildings at these places.

Actually most everything we own is made overseas by poor people. And we support them by buying it. So we support evil. Even the clothes on our back are supporting evil. The ISP (internet provider) you use supports evil because they allow people to even go to inappropriate content sites/gore sites instead of blocking people from them. DVDs, bluerays...etc only exist because of the inappropriate content industry. Most people do not realize that. inappropriate content industry tends to determine what new format of media gets used. DVDs were even better then VHS so the industry starting using them and hence DVDs became a popular thing. Same with blurays.

I take it you are Once Saved Alway Saved. Why try to be good when so many things are evil, right? Nowhere does Jesus say that they are to stop using the coin of Ceasar because Ceasar does evil things. Jesus realized that one is not supporting Ceasar's evil empire by paying Ceasar his due taxes.

The internet is alot like being in the world but yet not of the world. You can be in a sinful world, but that does not mean you are a part of it.

Paul says,

"That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;" (Philippians 2:15).

You said:
Heck this site has evil people on it who pick apart christians. You may not seek out those topics but you still use the site. My point of all this being is we can't pick and choose what we say is evil while at the same time using things that are made by/support evil. But sadly we don't really have a choice. So we can either live in a cave naked and garden so we have food or we can live how we do now.

Yes, we should pick and choose what we should focus on. We should pick and choose which correct music to listen to. Listening to truly God honoring music is what God wants us to do. God does not want us to listen to Christian Heavy Metal because it is angry and aggressive sounding (Which runs contrary to Scripture).

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me put it to you another way. Dangerous drugs (like cocaine) can make a person feel good. So they may say that drugs are good because they make their mood feel good. But that does not mean that there is not another bad effect that is hurting them in some way that they do not realize. Dangerous drugs like cocaine are highly addictive and often, they cannot tell that they have a problem when they are in use of this drug. I believe this to be the same with our idols. I used to love super hero movies and TV. It was my little indulgence outside of God's Word and in living the faith. But I faultered in watching these things. Meaning, I had sinned. So I then realized it was these worldly movies that I kept putting in my head that filled my mind with junk. It is the world system. But after putting away these shows, I then began to see these things for what they really were. I began to see just how bad and evil they really were.

It is good that you can examine yourself and find things that arent of God and remove them....the problems comes in when you try to make it a law for everyone else as well. What applies to one doesnt always apply to all. I can pick up an instrument and learn to play it well in days....it is just in me. Now should I make it a law that everyone else has to be able to do this as well? Should i look down on others who cant or say they just arent trying hard enough or just dont want to? NO. I realize that some people can do this and others cant.

The same goes for what leads people to sin. apparently hero movies are enough to make you take your eyes off God......I would say that this is definitely not the norm. So I would agree that it is wrong for you to continue... But I wouldn't tell others that they had to as well because of your case.

I would imagine the same would go for music.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We live in a fallen world and have become desensitized to most evils. This includes forms of music, comedy, movies, to name a few. When you truly come to know the Lord your soul changes and you don't find many of those things interesting any longer because you have a different awareness.

Yes, exactly.

You said:
I use to listen to heavy metal music,

Yes, me, too.

You said:
(and Gangster Rap)

Only a little.

You said:
was a huge horror flick fan

Me, too.

You said:
and my favorite time of year was Halloween.

Mine was Christmas. But all things become new in Christ.

You said:
Was I a bad person? Well, not to the fallen world, but did any of those things please God? Of course not. Then, once I came to know God (Jesus) I changed inside. I no longer had interest in that type of stuff because I am aware they cannot be pleasing to the one I worship. It's not really complicated.

I agree.

You said:
I've tried listening to the Christian versions of "MetalCore" music and although I can't understand most of the words, the instrumentation itself still sounds aggressive and demonic to me.

Me, too. I agree.

You said:
When I work out I like something a little heavier though to keep me motivated and to aid in my energy level, but I'm careful to what I choose and who am I to say even some of that is pleasing to God?

This is where we disagree. Wordly sounding music should not be a part of even our exercise. If this kind of music no longer pleases us anymore, then we should stay away from it.

You said:
I've read and listened (Audiobooks) of people who've died and have claimed to have gone to Heaven. In one account, the man says the music was unbelievable and it was a mixture of old and modern sounds, some of which he's never heard before, blended in with singing and constant praising. How amazing that will be. He came back to his human body before he entered the gates but he said the thing he missed most was the music.

I believe all accounts of Heaven and Hell are false.
When one sits down and carefully examines these stories in the light of Scripture, there are tons of contradictions to God's Word that arises. One being that if these visions are of God, should we add these divine revelations as extra books within our Bibles because they are of God? Surely not.

You said:
After it's all said and done, I believe God knows our hearts so I don't get too caught up in the details of things because my intent is to please Him and you'll know when you are, or aren't.

The problem is that the music is angry in it's beat or sound. The Bible is very clear that we are to put away anger and wrath (Ephesians 4:31, Colossians 3:8). Listening to music that elicits emotions that we are to put away is a violation of what God commands of us. It is that simple. For we are to pray, do good, and to love our enemies. Anger has no place within that concept.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I'd say first your doing what alot of people do and saying what you didn't like was bad for you and hence it must be bad in general for all people and no one should listen to it.

I was with you until you went on about drums that get your moving and what not. If that is the case we should pretty much not listen to anything since most music plays with your emotions. I mean I think death metal and heavy metal are of course "raging" in general, however without lyrics how can it be bad?Its just music then.

For example I like dubstep. Heres a song I like. Its safe to view, theres no actual video, no images, no lyrics. Just music. Would you say this is evil and dangerous?

I do not think it is. When I listen to it I feel calmed and sometimes I feel better after. I never feel rage or anger or anything like that. Actually to be fair 98% of my 2,500 songs have no lyrics. They are mainly songs from movies or games. Alot of them make me think of God or standing before Him. Heres another song I listen to thats just calm music. Is this bad? BTW the picture is just something the youtuber added, the song doesn't have any pictures associated with it. Its just by a company that does music for various media formats:
I listened to the videos.. My head started nodding.......and foot tapping......Must be satanic.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is good that you can examine yourself and find things that arent of God and remove them....the problems comes in when you try to make it a law for everyone else as well. What applies to one doesnt always apply to all. I can pick up an instrument and learn to play it well in days....it is just in me. Now should I make it a law that everyone else has to be able to do this as well? Should i look down on others who cant or say they just arent trying hard enough or just dont want to? NO. I realize that some people can do this and others cant.

The same goes for what leads people to sin. apparently hero movies are enough to make you take your eyes off God......I would say that this is definitely not the norm. So I would agree that it is wrong for you to continue... But I wouldn't tell others that they had to as well because of your case.

I would imagine the same would go for music.

Well, I am not making up my own rules here. I am showing folks how Christian Heavy Metal is wrong according to the Bible. I did not write the Bible. The New Testament is my guide and law that I am giving to others here. Colossians 3:8 and Ephesians 4:31 says we are to put away anger. Yet, listening to a type of music whereby it's tone is angry and aggressive is contrary to that command given to us in Scripture.

As for superhero films:
Most times I did not have a problem balancing my superhero movie and TV watching within my Christian life. The problem I kept running into was 1 John 2:15-17. Every time I came accross this verse, it bothered me. It was only when I one day sinned as a result of watching this type of entertainment that I had put them away. Then after putting them away, I could see them for what they were. For example: I grew up reading Daredevil comics. So when the series came out on Netflix, I got excited and even enjoyed it. But what I came to realize later after I put away this kind of entertainment, I came to understand that this guy was dressing up as the devil. He literally is in the appeance of the devil. Crazy. But I could not see it before.

The Bible says, "Abstain from all appearance of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:22).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I listened to the videos.. My head started nodding.......and foot tapping......Must be satanic.

We should do all things through Christ which strengthens us. All music should be God honoring that we listen to. There should be no... "Me music." It should be music about him that we listen to because live for him and not ourselves.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I did. I got rid of my Heavy Metal out of my life.
I got rid of worldly films, comics, music, etc.

Here is the problem.....You believe that you can get rid of what is inside by cleaning or removing the outside. But this is the temporary solution. It only make things appear clean on the outside, when the inside is what needs to be cleaned. Once you clean inside, the out will become clean as well. If you can still watch those movies and listen to DM and get negative feelings inside....this would mean that the inside still needs work.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lots of things are called: "Christian," these days; but most are far from being acceptable to God. So-called Christian death metal isn't Christian, but compromise. There is no place for it in heaven. Those who support this genre of music need a reality check: something is wrong with their relationship with God, something they are likely unaware of.

By the way, I am speaking from experience. I used to listen to death metal before I became a Christian. Most of my friends did, too. It had a negative effect on all of us.

Just because you put Christian lyrics to something, it doesn't make it Christian.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are correct that 1 Corinthians 8 is taking about food, but you are incorrect that it is not talking about a "behavior". The behavior that is being examined is "eating of food offered to idols". You can't refrain from something that is not a behavior. Paul says he is willing to refrain from eating this food, but only to preserve the conscience of the weaker brother.

This passage absolutely dismantles your whole argument.

No, the food is not behavioral. Music is behavioral. The food only becomes a problem when behavior is added into the mix (i.e. what somebody else does to the food and the conscience of the individual who sees you eat it). Food in itself is not a behavior. Music is behavioral in and of itself because it elicits certain emotions so they are not the same thing.

1 Corinthians 10 says you are not to eat of food sacrificed to idols if the evil person who just sacrificed it gives it to you to eat.

"But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake" (1 Corinthians 10:28).

20 "I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.
21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils." (1 Corinthians 10:20-21).

Again, the Bible says we are to put away anger and wrath (Ephesians 4:31, Colossians 3:8), and yet listening to a tone of music that encourages these things is okay? I am sorry, but I believe Scripture and not you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is the problem.....You believe that you can get rid of what is inside by cleaning or removing the outside. But this is the temporary solution. It only make things appear clean on the outside, when the inside is what needs to be cleaned. Once you clean inside, the out will become clean as well. If you can still watch those movies and listen to DM and get negative feelings inside....this would mean that the inside still needs work.

What you listen to or what you say can defile you. If you speak bad words, they can defile you according to Jesus. We are told in Scripture to avoid evil communications for a reason. If you put garbage in you, you are going to get garbage back out. A person can lust with their eyes at a woman and they can be in danger of hell fire. A person can fill their life with evil and dark things and say that it does not effect them, but they would be lying. You reap what you sow.

Making the inside of the cup clean is talking about repentance towards Jesus whereby all things become new for you spiritually. It is about picking up your cross, and denying yourself and following Jesus.

If one is still hanging on to the things of this world, they are not cleaning the inside of the cup. They are not allowing the Lord to completely transform them into a new creation whereby all things become new.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand how Christians can believe what they don't agree with becomes automatically what the Lord doesn't agree with either so when ever I hear someone say things like "That music makes me feel "X", so you shouldn't listen to it and here's a bunch of Scriptures taken out of context to show why God agrees with me about this!" I'm not surprised. I also understand the tendency of those same Christians to take the next logical (to their minds) step of believing "And everyone who doesn't agree with me is probably not a Christian anyway!" so I'm not even sort of surprised that it's come up more then once in this thread so let's just get this out there: A) God doesn't care what kind of music you listen to. and B) no matter how much you're convinced of how right you are about things, it's not up to you to decide who is or isn't a Christian. I know it's hard for us to believe, but that is actually true: God doesn't need our approval for who is or isn't a Christian. If it was true? Those decaff drinkers would be in a WORLD of hurt come judgement day. :sorry:
tulc(is still posting in the third person between the parentheses but is grateful for all the concern people seem to have about it) :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What you listen to or what you say can defile you. If you speak bad words, they can defile you according to Jesus. We are told in Scripture to avoid evil communications for a reason. If you put garbage in you, you are going to get garbage back out. A person can lust with their eyes at a woman and they can be in danger of hell fire. A person can fill their life with evil and dark things and say that it does not effect them, but they would be lying. You reap what you sow.

Making the inside of the cup clean is talking about repentance towards Jesus whereby all things become new for you spiritually. It is about picking up your cross, and denying yourself and following Jesus.

If one is still hanging on to the things of this world, they are not cleaning the inside of the cup. They are not allowing the Lord to completely transform them into a new creation whereby all things become new.

It is not what goes in a man that defiles him..it is what comes out. Evil communication and saying "bad words" are not one in the same.

I disagree with most of your interpretations of the bible....but I am fine with you believing what you believe.

I believe that the bible is a spiritual book and have to be spiritually discerned. Most of your interpretations are natural.....which is fine....first comes natural then the spiritual.

In the flesh no man can please God. And God is looking for those who will worship Him in spirit and in truth. I hope one day, you can look pass the world and what your ears hear and eyes see and body wears.... and consider the heart.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I understand how Christian can believe what they don't agree with becomes automatically what the Lord doesn't agree with either so when ever I hear someone say things like "That music makes me feel "X", so you shouldn't listen to it and here's a bunch of Scriptures taken out of context to show why God agrees with me about this!" I'm not surprised. I also understand the tendency of those same Christians to take the next logical (to their minds) step of believing "And everyone who doesn't agree with me is probably not a Christian anyway!" so I'm not even sort of surprised that it's come up more then once in this thread so let's just get this out there: A) God doesn't care what kind of music you listen to. and B) no matter how much you're convinced of how right you are about things, it's not up to you to decide who is or isn't a Christian. I know it's hard for us to believe, but that is actually true: God doesn't need our approval for who is or isn't a Christian. If it was true? Those decaff drinkers would be in a WORLD of hurt come judgement day.
tulc(is still posting in the third person between the parentheses but is grateful for all the concern people seem to have about it)

You don't get it. I used to like these kinds of music, but after coming to Christ, they no longer appealed to me anymore. There was a change in my life because of Jesus.

As for your statement about your suggestion on you thinking who is Christian and who is not:
Nowhere did I say anything about how someone here personally is not a Christian by listening to this kind of music. This is you saying that and not me. I strive to focus my attack on the sin in general rather than any specific person. I am saying the music is not Christian and it is not of God. Therein lies the difference of what I actually said.

Also, Ephesians 4:31 says,
"Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour [i.e. loud crying], and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice."

Clamour:
Genesis 1:1 (KJV)
(See Revelation 14:8 for similar Greek word meaning, "a loud cry.").

Colossians 3:8 says,
"But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth."

Listening to music that has a tone of anger and wrath is contrary to these verses in Scripture above.

Jesus says, "...Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you" (Matthew 5:44).

As for your reference to coffee:
Again, 1 Corinthians 8 is not a defense to listen to any kind of music you want. Would you listen to inappropriate content music with the sound of people making sex in the background? Surely not.

1 Corinthians 8 is talking about FOOD that is a THING that gives nourishment for your body.
All by itself food is not behavioral.
Music is behavioral because it is something that is filled with some kind of emotion so as to make you feel something emotionally.
Sad music can make you feel sad.
Happy music can make you feel happy, etc.
We learn in 1 Corinthians 10 that we are to refuse meat sacrificed to idols if the evil person who sacrificed the meat to an idol is offering it to you. You are to say no for conscience sake. You do not want to let this evil person know that you are in approval of the evil that he is doing. But if you are starving and nobody sees you eat such a food sacrificed to idols, it is sanctified by the Word of God and prayer.
I mean, even if you wanted 1 Corinthians 8 to be applied to music, nobody here should be defending it so as not to offend us weaker brothers (if indeed that is what you think). You should quitely listen to that angry and demonic sounding music behind closed doors with no Christian being aware that you are doing such a thing. But we both know you are not tricking anyone here. We both know that this music is wrong and evil. It is not a matter of debate. The sound of screaming demons or monsters by humans is not a thing of God.

Upvote 0

Idromos247

Standing4Jesus247
May 26, 2017
Michigan
✟16,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Music without words has an emotional component to it. When you watch a movie from Hollywood, they use a certain kind of music for certain scenes to elicit an emotional response from you. For example: A sad scene in a movie will often use sad music to get you to feel sad. A romance movie will primarily use softer loving music to get you to feel romantic feelings. A romance movie does not use Death Metal music in it's love scenes. Death Metal (which is under the umbrella of Heavy Metal) and general Heavy Metal music that sounds like 80's and 90's rock (which uses screams of agression and heavy beats to gets people to want to head bang or jump in a mosh pit and or punch each other) is based on agression, anger, and pride. Generally Death Metal is used in films where something violent is happening. Violence. So Death Metal is to get you to feel something (even without the words or the lyrics) to be violent. So calling it Christian does not really mean anything. Using Christian lyrics does not mean anything if the beat is based upon the darker side of man's emotions that are ungodly.

Scripture is clear that we are to cast off anger and wrath. Ephesians 4:26 mentions a temporary anger towards our own personal sin so as to overcome it. Ephesians 4:26 is not an anger to be seated in our heart because a few verses below it says we are to put away anger and wrath from our lives. Jesus said to love our enemies, to pray for them, and to do good towards them. We are to forgive. How can one forgive if they are also holding hatred in one's heart?

But what about Jesus? Did not Jesus get angry? Yes, but Jesus is God. We are not God. Only God can control having a perfect righteous anger. For the Scriptures say God is angry at the wicked every day. But only God can do that. For if a person is angry all the time is considered to have an anger problem. So why does Death Metal sound angry in it's beat all the time? Is anger one of the fruits of the Spirit within a believer?

What about when God commanded God's people (Israel) to destroy certain nations? Well this was the time during the Old Testament. God is no longer commanding His people to attack other nations. Back in the Old Testament times, God needed to show that He is a rewarder to those who seek Him and He is a punisher to those who do evil. The Lord our God is a God of justice. But when Jesus came, He showed us a better and more perfect way. Jesus showed us the love of God. Without that love we could not be saved. This love is the foundation of the Christian faith. If we as believers are to act aggressive in the tone of music we play (even without lyrics or words), we are sending forth a communication that plays on man's darker emotions that God does not want us to indulge in (Such as: Anger, hate, despair, and the fear that comes from this world).

My friends. My fellow Christians. I encourage you to pick up your cross, and deny yourselves and follow Jesus. Put away the things of this world that you find familar and build yourself up with things that are good. Anger and aggression (that comes from Heavy Metal and Death Metal music) is the kind of thing that will fill your life with anger, aggression, and possibly even violence. God does not want us to be angry at our enemies. God wants us to love them. It is the way of Christ. The more perfect way under the New Covenant. I pray, that you seek the Scriptures on these things for yourself. Give up this Christian Heavy Metal and Christian Death Metal for at least 1-2 years and then come back to it and see if it is something that is of God or not. For sometimes we cannot see how bad something is unless we give it up.

Anyways, I hope you understand where I am coming from.
I love you all in Christ Jesus;
And may you please be well.

Sincerely,

~ Jason.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your judgments are going to be based on your view of biblical and personal tastes (no matter what you claim). It is easy to look at something that you do not understand, point fingers, and chalk it off as being evil. Some Christian "Death metal" has lyrics that praise God as much as any hymn you would sing in church.

Becoming the Archetype - End of an age

Christians should be aggressive about sharing the good news, standing for God, and Fighting the good fight/finishing the race. And some of these songs are almost sound tracks for that battle. We should violently battle against our sinful nature. I've heard all your arguments and think that this (along with many other topics) is just a way to create division in the church instead of helping those who do not know God. 1 Corinthians 8:4 fits this topic very well. This genre yes has been used to worship satan/glorify evil, but god is king and Satan owns nothing..... not even metal music. Read the lyrics to this song "Amen" by Deuteronomium

"I am who I am
I am who is and who was
and I am who is to come,
I am the Almighty

I am - before Abraham was
I am - whom they sought to kill
I am - the Son of Man lifted up
I am - the Resurrection - I am the Life

I am the same today
I am the same yesterday
and forever and ever
I am the Lord

I am - the Resurrection - I am the Life"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is not what goes in a man that defiles him..it is what comes out. Evil communication and saying "bad words" are not one in the same.

I disagree with most of your interpretations of the bible....but I am fine with you believing what you believe.

I believe that the bible is a spiritual book and have to be spiritually discerned. Most of your interpretations are natural.....which is fine....first comes natural then the spiritual.

In the flesh no man can please God. And God is looking for those who will worship Him in spirit and in truth. I hope one day, you can look pass the world and what your ears hear and eyes see and body wears.... and consider the heart.

Actually, your interpretation is more of the natural man perspective here because it is set out to enjoy or fulfill the lusts of the flesh and not the things of God. 1 John 2:15-17 says,

15 "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."

Again, Colossians 3:8 and Ephesians 4:31 says we are to PUT AWAY anger and wrath. Yet, it is okay you listen to a tone of music that is promotes the emotion of anger (Which the Bible tells us to put away).

See, you want the Bible to be all about SELF, but Jesus says,
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." (Matthew 16:24).

I really do not see how denying yourself would include holding onto an obviously worldly music that is not distinguishable from it's worldly counterpart.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We should do all things through Christ which strengthens us. All music should be God honoring that we listen to. There should be no... "Me music." It should be music about him that we listen to because live for him and not ourselves.

Ok, so I should quit singing happy Birthday to my kids on their birthdays?

And No more row row row your boat or John Jacob Jingleheimerschmit?

• Haha
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Idromos247

Standing4Jesus247
May 26, 2017
Michigan
✟16,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 8 is talking about FOOD that is a THING that gives nourishment for your body.
All by itself food is not behavioral.

I Love how you use lots of scripture that is talking about how we walk around communicating, presenting ourselves to the world Ephesians 4:31, Colossians 3:8 and apply it to your point about what 'music tones' are evil???? (diabolus in musica anyone?) But then you get all literal on 1 Cor8. Show me something that proves your point about music specifically. I challenge you.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. God created light and darkness, bright sunny day, and wet rainy days.

Absolutely disgusting music. You need to come out of this type of music and leave it alone for a while and then come back to it in a few years. Try listening to just praise and worship music only like Hillsong and or Joshua Aaron.

Joshua Aaron - Salvation is His name:

Hillsong - Jesus I need you:

Joshua Aaron - Immanuel:

All I want is you - Animated Music Video:

John the Baptist - Joh Thurlow

You said:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your judgments are going to be based on your view of biblical and personal tastes (no matter what you claim). It is easy to look at something that you do not understand, point fingers, and chalk it off as being evil. Some Christian "Death metal" has lyrics that praise God as much as any hymn you would sing in church.

Becoming the Archetype - End of an age.

Christians should be aggressive about sharing the good news, standing for God, and Fighting the good fight/finishing the race. And some of these songs are almost sound tracks for that battle. We should violently battle against our sinful nature.

Ephesians 4:26 says be angry and sin not. Yes, this verse is true, but it is a temporary anger to lead you to walk uprightly with the Lord. It is not teaching an endless sin and get clean wash cycle your whole life. Christians are supposed to overcome sin. For Paul says sin shall not have dominion over you. In fact, if you were to skip down a few verses, it says in Ephesians 4:31 that we are to put away anger and wrath. So this is telling us that the anger in Ephesians 4:26 is only temporary to get you to stop sinning. Anger is not to have a seat within your heart. Jesus said we are to love our enemies, and to do good towards them. Jesus says we are to forgive others.

You said:
I've heard all the arguments and think that this (along with many other topics) is just a way to create division in the church instead of helping those who do not know God. 1 Corinthians 8:4 fits this topic very well. This genre yes has been used to worship satan/glorify evil, but god is king and Satan owns nothing..... not even metal music. Read the lyrics to this song "Amen" by Deuteronomium

"I am who I am
I am who is and who was
and I am who is to come,
I am the Almighty

I am - the Resurrection - I am the Life

I am the same today
I am the same yesterday
and forever and ever
I am the Lord

I am - the Resurrection - I am the Life"

I think Christian Heavy Metal is about people still wanting to hold onto loving the things of this world (1 John 2:15-17). We are told in Romans 12:2 not to imitate the world and that is EXACTLY what we see Christian and Heavy and Death Metal do. They imitate their worldly counterparts in dress and tone.

As for 1 Corinthians 8:4:
We are forbidden in Exodus 20 to make idols and to bow down to them.
Paul is not saying we should be in league with idols. Scripture says, "keep yourselves from idols" (1 John 5:21). What Paul is saying in 1 Corinthians 8 is that the food being sacrificed to an idol does not technically change what the food actually is. The food is still food. Idols do not change what the food actually is. This is not the same as music. Food is a thing and it is not behavioral. Music is behavioral because it is imbued with emotion of some kind. Happy music makes you feel happy and sad music can make you feel sad, etc.

We can eat food sacrificed to idols ONLY if certain people are not around to see us eat it.
We are not to eat food sacrificed to idols if the evil person who sacrifced the food to an idol were to offer you some (See 1 Corinthians 10). We are not to eat food sacrificed to idols around brothers who may think the food is spiritually evil in some way. But the food is not behavioral like music. Food does not play songs to me that make me happy or sad. You are trying to make 1 Corinthians 8 as being the same as music but it is not talking about music or a thing that is emotional in any way. Food is not an emotional thing. It is nourishment for your body.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, your interpretation is more of the natural man perspective here because it is set out to enjoy or fulfill the lusts of the flesh and not the things of God. 1 John 2:15-17 says,

15 "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever."

Again, Colossians 3:8 and Ephesians 4:31 says we are to PUT AWAY anger and wrath. Yet, it is okay you listen to a tone of music that is promotes the emotion of anger (Which the Bible tells us to put away).

See, you want the Bible to be all about SELF, but Jesus says,
"If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." (Matthew 16:24).

I really do not see how denying yourself would include holding onto an obviously worldly music that is not distinguishable from it's worldly counterpart.

I did not interpret anything. Nor did i discuss any of my views on music or anything else you find "worldly"

I dont want the bible to be anything, the bible just IS. It is you who are interpreting it base on your own personal likes and dislikes and calling your views, the word of God. It isnt. You have a view and then find scriptures that you believe match it and then preach your own doctrine.

If anyone disagrees, you try to put them in categories of doctrines and gospel you feel are universally false to discredit them. you are not unique....your behavior is common...and I see nothing wrong with it. I only ask that if you respond to me you only use information I have given and not imply what I believe or doctrines i support.....unless silencing others is the only way for your interpretations to sound like truth.

A tomb is still a tomb no matter how spotless the outside it. It doesnt matter what you listen to if you have hatred and angry in your heart. It is not enough to remove music and angry people from the outside. This does nothing for inside. And God views the contents of the heart....not the contents of your itunes playlist.

And again, I said nothing about the holiness of DM.. Suggesting that I support it or disagree with it would only be an attempt to discredit my words.....with would not be the method of one who has the truth.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.