Top secret
✟8,153.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a single Christian guy in my 20s. Long story short, for most of my life I've struggled with sexual sin. It's not really an addiction anymore, although it has been - I'd describe it more as a bad habit I've never been able (or I suppose willing) to shake. On average I'll go weeks without a major stumble, but then I'll inevitably end up falling straight back into lust and self-gratification.

The truth is that while the sexual sin side of things is a big problem, I know that there are bigger underlying issues at play which need to be addressed first. I've had to face up to the fact that I've never really trusted God or sought Him with all my heart, despite always thinking of myself as a 'Christian' - and one of the big consequences of this is I've developed a lot of fear and insecurity, which has robbed me of peace and joy, and been a big burden to carry. And when that's the case, something like sexual sin can much more easily gain a foothold.

So after many years of struggle and often failure, I've gained at least some understanding about what the problems are and how I can address them. I've come to the conclusion - for example - that I want and need to be accountable (i.e. have someone else present) when I browse the net, that I need to turn screens off at a certain time every night, etc etc. To put God first and grow in my faith I also want to spend time in the Word in the morning and at night, and commit to spending more time seeking God than I do consuming visual media (something I've usually run to to distract myself from my problems). These are just examples of the practical steps that I want to take to make God the centre of my life again, and shut sexual (and other) sin out for good.

But obviously I need to be accountable to someone about whether I'm actually taking these steps each day. And I've never really had that accountability. I go to a small church and there are few if any Christian men around that I feel I could reach out to in person.

If there are any Christian guys around my age who want an accountability partner, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks for reading :)

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My experience is that online is a pretty terrible place to find an accountability partner. You need to retain Internet access to contact him and vice versa, either of you may easily ignore the other, the means of communication strips away important elements of communication which are tied to a very personal and sensitive area of your life. Also, no matter where you get your accountability partner, make sure he is patient and can handle your questions in a wise and compassionate way, and has better means of evaluating you than, "did you tick these boxes without any variation?"

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0