Nov 27, 2016
Williston ND
✟16,416.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Single
Dear Guys:

I'm a new person on this board, and I still haven't figured out where is the best forum to go for what, so please be patient with me?

I've seen some recent Faith based films at Church recently, and I've had some concerns. But I'm having some trouble articulating my thoughts and there are some who feel that any criticism of a Christian work is an attack on Christianity

I may be wrong on a great many things.

Do any of you feel that the acting in some of the films is "off?" And I'm not sure what I mean by that. Do any of you have that concern?

Recently I saw the faith based movie that dealt with Christianity versus Evolution. I don't remember the title, but it starred Harry Anderson from Night Court. The conclusion was disappointing. Most of the movie was heading towards the confrontation between the Christian father and Anderson's Evolutionist character at the college lecture, but at the last moment the film sidestepped the whole issue by abandoning the debate and focusing on a last minute additional former Professor (who supposedly had been fired by Anderson's Prof) offering forgiveness.

I wasn't sure if this was a genuine cop out to what what the film had been building too?

There are times I feel some Christian viewers always expect the Christian character to win every argument, to always be strong, and never to let other Christians down. And I don't know about that. I've always that Christ preached from a suffering savior approach. Christians fail at times. We don't always know what to say or what to do, but we have a Savior who lifts us up.

But I don't see that communicated in some of these films.

More later. I'd be interested in what some of you think.

--JThree

Shane2336

Slave of Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2016
AZ (Most of the time)
✟33,669.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Sadly, there aren't many actors who want to star in Christian films. Along with that, it's hard to find a director or producer that wants their name stamped on a Christian film. It's sad, but that's the state of things in Hollywood.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Guys:

I'm a new person on this board, and I still haven't figured out where is the best forum to go for what, so please be patient with me?

I've seen some recent Faith based films at Church recently, and I've had some concerns. But I'm having some trouble articulating my thoughts and there are some who feel that any criticism of a Christian work is an attack on Christianity

I may be wrong on a great many things.

Do any of you feel that the acting in some of the films is "off?" And I'm not sure what I mean by that. Do any of you have that concern?

Recently I saw the faith based movie that dealt with Christianity versus Evolution. I don't remember the title, but it starred Harry Anderson from Night Court. The conclusion was disappointing. Most of the movie was heading towards the confrontation between the Christian father and Anderson's Evolutionist character at the college lecture, but at the last moment the film sidestepped the whole issue by abandoning the debate and focusing on a last minute additional former Professor (who supposedly had been fired by Anderson's Prof) offering forgiveness.

I wasn't sure if this was a genuine cop out to what what the film had been building too?

There are times I feel some Christian viewers always expect the Christian character to win every argument, to always be strong, and never to let other Christians down. And I don't know about that. I've always that Christ preached from a suffering savior approach. Christians fail at times. We don't always know what to say or what to do, but we have a Savior who lifts us up.

But I don't see that communicated in some of these films.

More later. I'd be interested in what some of you think.

--JThree

Welcome to CF; J;
The thing you have to remember; any film made by anyone connected to the Hollywood industry; is; by default; sold out to the profit motive and so are trying to "entertain" the audience; and any Christian themes that may be present are overrode by trying to entertain.
Some of the best Christian based movies come from places that we might not expect; I watched one the other day that was made in Russia; of all places; but it had a great story about redemption and forgiveness.

It's called "The Island" and is a 2006 Russian biographical film about a 20th century Eastern Orthodox monk. Pyotr Mamonov, who plays the lead character, formerly a rock musician in the USSR, converted to Eastern Orthodoxy in the 1990s and lives now in an isolated village.

Upvote 0

Jesus' Girl

❤️❤️❤️
Dec 27, 2016
✟26,747.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A lot of the films seem to be B films (think they are called that) where the acting seems like a school production..seen one recently and forced myself through it and it got better. But acting in these films could be better

• Agree
Reactions: tripleseven
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A lot of the films seem to be B films (think they are called that) where the acting seems like a school production..seen one recently and forced myself through it and it got better. But acting in these films could be better

I agree, and a lot of them are too melodramatic for my tastes honestly.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Christian rock music was pretty lame when it first started as well. It was just a matter of time before the quality improved. Unfortunately, as soon as it got good it fell prey to all the problems of pop music and most of it is now just as vapid.

I prefer to speak of Christians who are artists rather than "Christian art", which is usually just a euphemism for enforcing some arbitrary moral standard. The problem with many Christian movies is that they don't really understand how to weave Christian themes into good storytelling, and so it just becomes a lame conversion story. True Christian film (i.e. films made by Christians) IMHO, is much more than that.

Upvote 0

AMOG

Jul 29, 2007
✟17,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Christians and Marxists have a similar problem when writing film's. they typicly prioritize the message of the film over and above the quality of storytelling in the film. they are message heavy and the film suffers because of it. tell a compelling story and weave the message in subtly and you are far better off. add to this, the fact that most Christian writers don't correctly arc their protagonist and you have a perfect recipe for a preachy film. ie message heavy and a protagonist that doesn't change because the were correct to begin with equals no audience interest.

• Agree
Reactions: Resha Caner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums