New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Ive noticed that i keep seeing the term “be in prayer and fasting” all over the place and it really stands out to me as of lately. I was just curious as to when a Christian should be fasting, what that fasting should entail and if you could point me to any clarifying scriptures. I have never done a spiritual fast before, but, because I keep seeing it everywhere i feel that the Lord wants me to take a deeper look. Thank you all in advance. ( and if i posted this in the wrong area feel free to move it to where its more appropriate, thank you!)

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ive noticed that i keep seeing the term “be in prayer and fasting” all over the place and it really stands out to me as of lately. I was just curious as to when a Christian should be fasting, what that fasting should entail and if you could point me to any clarifying scriptures. I have never done a spiritual fast before, but, because I keep seeing it everywhere i feel that the Lord wants me to take a deeper look. Thank you all in advance. ( and if i posted this in the wrong area feel free to move it to where its more appropriate, thank you!)
Orthodox fast on Wednesday and Friday.
Orthodox Fasting - Questions & Answers

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Let's see, you will need to wear a very coarse, rough woven fabric called sackcloth. Hmm, you will need to throw a bunch of dust and ashes on your head. You would also need to sacrifice breakfast, lunch, and dinner and those "secret snacks" you hide under your mattress before you sleep. And...you need to sleep outside on the cold ground weeping and wailing aloud. Since you aren't suppose to do it before others to be seen by them, you might have to relocate to somewhere completely in solitude, maybe the wilderness. Some of those men fasted for 40 days straight, which would be a little over a month and a week.

I hope it goes well for you, I failed on the first day.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Jesus did say "when you fast ...." and not "if you fast ...." so the presumption is that we would fast.

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Isaiah 58:5-7 King James Version (KJV)

5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the Lord?

6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?

7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-12_1-29-31.png
    upload_2019-8-12_1-29-31.png
    659.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A fast is connected with a deep mournful spirit in confessing sin:
  • Leviticus 16
  • Matthew 6:16-18
There's no longer a Day of Atonement so that the only public fast is done away with. Whatever there is a fasting that remains is a personal, private, spontaneous, and voluntary fast.

The Bible never prescribes the time for a fast. The time depends on the person, depends on the circumstance, depends on the situation, and depends the need.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Ive noticed that i keep seeing the term “be in prayer and fasting” all over the place and it really stands out to me as of lately.

I have never done a spiritual fast before, but, because I keep seeing it everywhere

I have looked it up and these are the results, these are the only two places in the New Testament where this is used and both are about the same event.

"Prayer and Fasting" New Testament.

Mat. 17:21
Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Mar. 9:29
And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

I inverted it and came up with this.

1Co. 7:5
Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

The old Testament does not have any results for either.

My question is, where are you seeing this all over?

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Go to BibleGateway (BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.) and enter "fasted" in the search field. Depending on the version of the Bible you're using, you will get quite a few hits - in both the Old and New Testament.
Look at them closely, describe for yourself the situation, the circumstances (i.e. the context) and see if that helps you understand how, when and why fasting was practised. If you read the whole stories (or chapters) surrounding the references, you may also get an idea of God's response to these specific instances.

An additional thought: often deeply felt prayer (meditational, worshipful, confessional...etc.) has direct and profound impact on the person praying. That is, apart from "answers" to prayer, the act of sincere prayer influences the person praying. Consider the physical, emotional, psychological and spiritual impact that fasting might have on the person "praying and fasting" or "fasting and praying." I would then encourage you to share your findings...:)

Upvote 0

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Before performing exorcisms you should fast.

• Winner
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zachm531

Apr 25, 2019
New York
✟44,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have looked it up and these are the results, these are the only two places in the New Testament where this is used and both are about the same event.

"Prayer and Fasting" New Testament.

Mat. 17:21
Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.

Mar. 9:29
And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.

I inverted it and came up with this.

1Co. 7:5
Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.

The old Testament does not have any results for either.

My question is, where are you seeing this all over?
Didnt have to be those exact terms but here ya go: BIBLE VERSES ABOUT FASTING AND PRAYER

Upvote 0