Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps its because I live in a warm place, but I notice skimpy outfits, skimpy fashions are popular. i want to design modest clothing for Christian women, like nice dresses to wear to church. Dresses with high enough necklines and long enough hemlines. Thick enough cloth. I have ideas for floral prints, butterfly and bird designs.

Problem is I can't sew, but i would like to learn how. i am good at drawing. i have started drawing paper dolls. I am working at drawing the human figure and the way cloth moves drapes and folds around people. I like historical costume, but many fashions from the past have been ridiculous, uncomfortable, and show too much of the bosom.

In the Bible the wearing of fancy expensive clothes is forbidden, I think the Lord is forbidding anything too elaborate and making the poor feel bad by flaunting your wealth. Usually it was prostitutes who wore a lot of make-up and jewelry, so most modest pure women dressed plainly. Queens, princesses, noble ladies did dress up, usually for special occasions. Brides were beautifully adorned. they wore jewelry like pearls, crystals, sapphires, a lot of beautiful jewels and gold, and clean, fine bright white linen.

I want to design wedding dresses, evening gowns, prom dresses, casual wear, T-shirts with Christian mesasges, Bible verses. historical costumes. I want my garments to be modest.

Jesus said that not even Solomon was clothed like the lilies of the field. He was referring to wild flowers. I like flowers and like to draw and paint them. Queen Esther went to see her husband King Xerxes dressed in her royal garments looking like a queen. It was not just her outer beauty but her inner beauty that attracted the King of Persia.

When a woman lets her inner sweetness kindness and love shine through she will always look good. If a woman is nasty, mean and evil, she may be beautiful on the outside but she will never understand true beauty. The Lord created the universe and the Earth beautiful. Fashion was created by women and men, mostly women.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cute Peonies

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You have two choices…

Go to school. You’ll learn to sew and some pattern making skills. If you major in the latter you’ll understand construction.

Work with a company that will translate your designs to patterns and arrange production.

You’ll have to determine the price and profit margin. And most of all demand. Modest fashion exists and has a market. The bulk of your clientele may not be Christian. It depends on the cost.

American consumers have grown accustomed to cheap clothes. If you sewed you’d have a better idea what it really costs. You can’t compete with Old Navy prices. You’ll have to use a different tactic.

Most clothing isn’t manufactured here. Small production runs are possible. But you’ll pay a lot more doing it here than elsewhere.

Do your homework. Schools are expensive. Gowns require more time and workmanship. You need to learn the market to understand what they’re buying. Christian women spend a lot of time in pants. Not dresses.

As for drape, dress forms aren’t human. It won’t move or fall the same on the average woman. They’re bigger and have imperfections drawings lack. You have to account for the stomach, hips, bust, arms and thighs. Some have a long or short torso. Most women aren’t hourglasses.

Learning to sew is a good starting point. It will fill in your knowledge gaps. You need to determine if you’ll design and leave the rest to others. Beading and intricate designs will drive up your costs.

You need capital to launch a label or a partner with deep pockets. Incubators are an option but they take a portion of your company. Prayerfully consider the proper steps.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps its because I live in a warm place, but I notice skimpy outfits, skimpy fashions are popular. i want to design modest clothing for Christian women, like nice dresses to wear to church. Dresses with high enough necklines and long enough hemlines. Thick enough cloth. I have ideas for floral prints, butterfly and bird designs.

Problem is I can't sew, but i would like to learn how. i am good at drawing. i have started drawing paper dolls. I am working at drawing the human figure and the way cloth moves drapes and folds around people. I like historical costume, but many fashions from the past have been ridiculous, uncomfortable, and show too much of the bosom.

In the Bible the wearing of fancy expensive clothes is forbidden, I think the Lord is forbidding anything too elaborate and making the poor feel bad by flaunting your wealth. Usually it was prostitutes who wore a lot of make-up and jewelry, so most modest pure women dressed plainly. Queens, princesses, noble ladies did dress up, usually for special occasions. Brides were beautifully adorned. they wore jewelry like pearls, crystals, sapphires, a lot of beautiful jewels and gold, and clean, fine bright white linen.

I want to design wedding dresses, evening gowns, prom dresses, casual wear, T-shirts with Christian mesasges, Bible verses. historical costumes. I want my garments to be modest.

Jesus said that not even Solomon was clothed like the lilies of the field. He was referring to wild flowers. I like flowers and like to draw and paint them. Queen Esther went to see her husband King Xerxes dressed in her royal garments looking like a queen. It was not just her outer beauty but her inner beauty that attracted the King of Persia.

When a woman lets her inner sweetness kindness and love shine through she will always look good. If a woman is nasty, mean and evil, she may be beautiful on the outside but she will never understand true beauty. The Lord created the universe and the Earth beautiful. Fashion was created by women and men, mostly women.

Start with simple clothes and work up.

Upvote 0

Cute Peonies

I love flowers irl
Jun 21, 2021
Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Oh finally a topic about Christian Modest Fashion!

It's a great initiative to learn sewing. And you're right on so many points especially the skimpy part. Nowadays you can't scroll social media without seeing half naked woman which is really disturbing.

In the Bible the wearing of fancy expensive clothes is forbidden, I think the Lord is forbidding anything too elaborate and making the poor feel bad by flaunting your wealth.

Interesting perspective! I've never thought of it this way.

Jesus said that not even Solomon was clothed like the lilies of the field. He was referring to wild flowers. I like flowers and like to draw and paint them.

I love flowers too haha But not the artistic part like drawing.

I love checking the stages from seeds to flowering. Watering them, watching them grow and taking pictures along the way. Seeing the beauty of nature makes me realize the importance of timing and how powerful God is.

The Lord created the universe and the Earth beautiful. Fashion was created by women and men, mostly women.

Exactly! Using Modest Fashion to express yourself can be really beneficial for Christian women because you're honouring God and it shows that you respect yourself.

All of this talk makes me want to update my wardrobe soooo bad.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Check out independent pattern makers (outside of the big four). That may be a viable option worth pursuing. You can sell patterns for the clothes you have in mind for every day use and apply the resources towards elaborate creations.

Be advised, most people who sew don’t draft patterns. I do both and I’m in school. I took sewing lessons in person. My instructor is a believer as was most of my class. She worked in the industry as a pattern maker. I adjusted mine from the start.

While you can take classes online, adjustments will be difficult as will measuring yourself without assistance. We began with a skirt, dress, then a blouse. Most of my classmates were creating capsules. She put me in the advanced class. It did wonders for my confidence and skills.

I began taking pattern making classes last year. Each section has its own instruction. For example, a shirt requires a moulage (base), sleeve, collar, and pocket if applicable. Each skill builds upon the other.

A finished sloper is customized for one person. Applying the same towards mass produced items is different. You’d use industry standards for sizing. If you look on the back of a pattern you’ll see them.

Most need to size up when purchasing them. The size on your label rarely matches the one on the package. It’s a vanity number. For instance, if you wear a size 8 off the rack but your pattern size is 12 the latter is your real size. All clothing is produced with that in mind. They just fiddle with the label.

You’ll need to learn to grade to scale the pattern up (larger) or down (smaller) or have someone do it for you. There’s a growing market for independent patterns. It’s less expensive than other options.

The majority of sewers are beginners or intermediate. Advanced skills include tailoring, pattern making, and couture. Most historical creators fall in this group.

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟167,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

First things first you need to learn to sew. Especially before you start designing clothes.
Learn to sew a skirt, then a top.
Then a dress.
From there you can learn more advanced techniques.
For clothing design The Sewist is a great option.

You don’t need to know how to “draw”. More like sketch.

I have a lot more resources but I need to get ready for church I’ll be back with them later today.

Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh finally a topic about Christian Modest Fashion!

It's a great initiative to learn sewing. And you're right on so many points especially the skimpy part. Nowadays you can't scroll social media without seeing half naked woman which is really disturbing.

Interesting perspective! I've never thought of it this way.

I love flowers too haha But not the artistic part like drawing.

I love checking the stages from seeds to flowering. Watering them, watching them grow and taking pictures along the way. Seeing the beauty of nature makes me realize the importance of timing and how powerful God is.

Exactly! Using Modest Fashion to express yourself can be really beneficial for Christian women because you're honouring God and it shows that you respect yourself.

All of this talk makes me want to update my wardrobe soooo bad.

I like gardening too. I draw and paint flowers, and like clothes with floral prints. My mom and I decorate the house with artificial flowers. I want to draw a birthday card for her with pretty bright colored flowers. I like butterflies that pollinate flowers. Birds can be good pollinators too, like humming birds. I am getting more into growing flowers in a garden. My Mom got some new plants, beautiful roses, hibiscus and plumbago, bleeding heart and calla lily. I discovered hibiscus is the scientific name for 'Rose of Sharon' They grow well in Florida. With Florida's hot humid climate it is difficult to grow roses, there are special breeds, gardening secrets, plant them in shade, I must look up info.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cute Peonies
Upvote 0

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Check out independent pattern makers (outside of the big four). That may be a viable option worth pursuing. You can sell patterns for the clothes you have in mind for every day use and apply the resources towards elaborate creations.

Be advised, most people who sew don’t draft patterns. I do both and I’m in school. I took sewing lessons in person. My instructor is a believer as was most of my class. She worked in the industry as a pattern maker. I adjusted mine from the start.

While you can take classes online, adjustments will be difficult as will measuring yourself without assistance. We began with a skirt, dress, then a blouse. Most of my classmates were creating capsules. She put me in the advanced class. It did wonders for my confidence and skills.

I began taking pattern making classes last year. Each section has its own instruction. For example, a shirt requires a moulage (base), sleeve, collar, and pocket if applicable. Each skill builds upon the other.

A finished sloper is customized for one person. Applying the same towards mass produced items is different. You’d use industry standards for sizing. If you look on the back of a pattern you’ll see them.

Most need to size up when purchasing them. The size on your label rarely matches the one on the package. It’s a vanity number. For instance, if you wear a size 8 off the rack but your pattern size is 12 the latter is your real size. All clothing is produced with that in mind. They just fiddle with the label.

You’ll need to learn to grade to scale the pattern up (larger) or down (smaller) or have someone do it for you. There’s a growing market for independent patterns. It’s less expensive than other options.

The majority of sewers are beginners or intermediate. Advanced skills include tailoring, pattern making, and couture. Most historical creators fall in this group.

Thanks for the advice. I am ashamed to admit I am on the larger size. I am struggling to loose weight. Sweets, carbs, baked goods are my weakness. I like food too much, like chocolate, cake, pie, cheesecake, fresh bread, ice cream, cheese, pasta, pancakes, bacon, Italian and Chinese food. I also like seafood, fried fish shrimp and clam chowder. I am trying to eat healthier food and get more exercise. I want to be thinner and look better, I know I need to eat more fresh vegetables and fruit. They are expensive, hard to find good produce, it costs a lot, and some times the veggies, fruit are bad. I wish my body looked better. Oh well, God still loves me anyway. If god still loves me, I love myself, and accept myself. I am glad I am not fatter than I am. There are people way fatter than me, I feel sorry for them, pray for them.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟945,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am ashamed to admit I am on the larger size.

There’s growing demand for plus-size fashion and I doubt that’ll change. I encourage you to be vigilant about your health. The industry is extremely body conscious.

Seek the Lord’s input on what He desires from you. He’ll show you the way.

Upvote 0