Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
I cross-posted this to Semper Reformanda...but I figured the GT folks would find it interesting, too...

I read this today in the Christian Science Monitor...pretty fascinating article about a church in my (adopted) hometown...

The lede is basically:

America's Christian faith is experiencing a comeback of Calvinism and its God-first immersion in Scripture...In America's Christian faith, a surprising comeback of rock-ribbed Calvinism is challenging the Jesus-is-your-buddy gospel of modern evangelism.

Christian faith: Calvinism is back / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Does EO still consder Calvinism heretical, or least some of its views?

I cross-posted this to Semper Reformanda...but I figured the GT folks would find it interesting, too...

I read this today in the Christian Science Monitor...pretty fascinating article about a church in my (adopted) hometown...

The lede is basically:

America's Christian faith is experiencing a comeback of Calvinism and its God-first immersion in Scripture...In America's Christian faith, a surprising comeback of rock-ribbed Calvinism is challenging the Jesus-is-your-buddy gospel of modern evangelism.

Christian faith: Calvinism is back / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, other than a list of specifics which might useful for some. Actually, a concise list of departures from orthodoxy would be useful.

I was actually surprised that you provided the article without editorial comment. A calvinist Baptist must be a strange site to behold. :)

I had heard the comments by Metropolitan Jonah regarding Calvinism and there didn't seem to be an confusion.

I once heard a subdeacon comment that John Calvin has made more people atheists than Charles Darwin.

Does that answer your question? :p

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yet,,it hinges on universalism.The funny thing is though,in Rom 9,when Paul raised a question that the universaly doomed person might ask..

Rom9;19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?”

His answer really reafirmed what the questioner was asking?:D

20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use?

Upvote 0

bibleblevr

Jan 27, 2009
Lynchburg VA
✟8,745.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The lede is basically:

Hurray!:clap: Don't worry Armenians, we are on the job, you will all be rehabilitated into good Calvinists soon enough. ^_^;)

By the way, In my home church, we calibrate John Calvin's birthday, with cake and a party and everything! ( I go to a Presbyterian church)

Upvote 0

Historicus

Follower of Jesus Christ
Apr 20, 2005
Ohio
✟55,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hurray!
clap.gif
Don't worry Armenians, we are on the job, you will all be rehabilitated into good Calvinists soon enough.
kawaii.gif
wink.gif

Good for you... but we're still right. ;) :p ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

The lede is basically:

I pray it's true. I would like to see the Barna group do some research to verify this.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Calvinism has been making huge in-roads among Evangelicals for quite a few decades now.

I'm immune. I got my first innoculation in 1978 and again in 1986. In fact, I am so immune, my blood can be used as an antidote for the willing, though admittedly not irresistably.

Do I fret over this? As a correction of Jesus-is-my-pal-ism I welcome it. One extreme thesis creates fertile ground for the opposite extreme, but the pendulum will swing back, I believe, hopefully, not so far.

I firmly reject all five points of Calvin's soteriological TULIP.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If guns cause violence keyboards cause typos. Only the naive believe objects are capable of conscious acts.
In NYC, they apparently believe soda pop forces kids to become obese.

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟28,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
In NYC, they apparently believe soda pop forces kids to become obese.

Oh, you didn't know that? Bottles of Coca-Cola open themselves and drain down the throats of unsuspecting, and often unwilling, children. I've seen it happen myself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JamesAH

Aug 21, 2008
✟2,966.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, you didn't know that? Bottles of Coca-Cola open themselves and drain down the throats of unsuspecting, and often unwilling, children. I've seen it happen myself.

I have too and I have also seen Big Macs being forced down an entire town in Iowa :eek:

Upvote 0

SeraphimSarov

Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...
Feb 16, 2007
Nowhere
✟28,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I have too and I have also seen Big Macs being forced down an entire town in Iowa :eek:

That's nothing. I was in Wisconsin awhile ago, and an army of Baconators forced themselves upon the entire city of Milwaukee. I barely escaped the horrific onslaught of fried beef, fried pork and "bread."

Upvote 0