✟379,526.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Friends.

A few years back I was speaking to a workmate who was part of an ethnic community.

He mentioned that his fellow countrymen decided that they were paying far too much for car insurance. So 400 of them agreed to cancel their insurance in the following year and to simply put the money they would normally spend on a premium - into a bank account.

When someone had an accident they paid all costs from the joint account.

Soon they were way ahead financially - partly because they were being careful driving - knowing it was their own money that was at stake !!!

Now we know that when the church was born, the love of Jesus was so strong among believers that they shared resources. Sadly this is almost unheard of today.

Yet such sharing has enormous potential to demonstrate that Christianity has love at its heart.

So I am opening this thread to gather suggestions as to how we can help each other and in so doing show that our faith is different. But more than that - can we keep this thread open to feed back how we got on implementing the ideas that arise.

You know the economic oppression that we see around us depends on folks not sharing, and our isolation and individualism feeds that.

So there is an open door to establish 'Christian economics' and again become the attractive community that reflects His love and bears testimony to His Glory.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So I am opening this thread to gather suggestions as to how we can help each other and in so doing show that our faith is different. But more than that - can we keep this thread open to feed back how we got on implementing the ideas that arise.

I think I would be leery of doing that with car insurance. Depending on where you live you could get into legal problems with what those folks did. I spent most of my life living in California that has strict proof of insurance laws.

Probably the closest thing I've done that is sort of on topic is to use money that would normally be budgeted for tithe or offering money to a church and use it to help a fellow believer, especially a personal friend who was having tough times especially from issues like unemployment. e.g. saving them from having utilities turned off, being evicted, buying groceries etc.

I tend to do that when I am "in between churches" or if I'm going to a church, especially some of the Charismatic Churches where the ministers were living high on the hog etc. That kind of was a tradition / practice that started with my friends, where we would help each other out etc.

Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am hesitant to do that without a reputable management system in place.
  1. I have met wolves in sheep's clothing before.
  2. "Tares" are a lot harder to spot.
Paul wrote that [civil] disputes between Christians should be settled by church leadership [1 Corinthians 6:1-6]. A Christian team managing said fund could function in that capacity.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,526.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I would be leery of doing that with car insurance. Depending on where you live you could get into legal problems with what those folks did. I spent most of my life living in California that has strict proof of insurance laws.

Probably the closest thing I've done that is sort of on topic is to use money that would normally be budgeted for tithe or offering money to a church and use it to help a fellow believer, especially a personal friend who was having tough times especially from issues like unemployment. e.g. saving them from having utilities turned off, being evicted, buying groceries etc.

I tend to do that when I am "in between churches" or if I'm going to a church, especially some of the Charismatic Churches where the ministers were living high on the hog etc. That kind of was a tradition / practice that started with my friends, where we would help each other out etc.

Food co-op's could be a possibility...

Sadly the modern way is to be independent and rather isolated which is the opposite to how relationships should be in the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,526.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For one, I would start a 'Prayer Board' where people can share their needs and others can respond in any way they are moved to help.

Good thought...

These days we cant be sure that the elders have knowledge of needs like in the early church.

That could trigger off all sorts of loving support.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This kind of thread reminds me of the Amish. The Amish have always been able to prosper constantly (even during depressions, recessions etc.) in spite of not having tech most of the time, due to being able to live on the cheap by doing almost everything their selves, and harnessing community when it came to those major building projects.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For a while I was admin of a Buy Nothing group; it's not specifically a Christian thing but works on principles that align well with Christianity, and could easily be adapted for a local Christian community and their neighbours.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This kind of thread reminds me of the Amish. The Amish have always been able to prosper constantly (even during depressions, recessions etc.) in spite of not having tech most of the time, due to being able to live on the cheap by doing almost everything their selves, and harnessing community when it came to those major building projects.

There are cultural and religious reasons for their behavior. Including an absence of debt due to college enrollment and a strict ordnung which governs their actions. I explored Amish sects years ago. There are a few books written by converts who joined the community as adults.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,526.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a while I was admin of a Buy Nothing group; it's not specifically a Christian thing but works on principles that align well with Christianity, and could easily be adapted for a local Christian community and their neighbours.

Good one !!! - the car insurance scheme was a group of 400 Buddhists...

We can do this better as evidence of Jesus Love.

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You have a great topic and are right that we barely touch the surface on what we could be doing as a community. I would like to see more houses modeled after L'Abri, where people could travel and be introduced and discuss Christian ideas. L'Abri - Wikipedia The EU is far more along in quite a few areas. I have seen Christian first aid clinics, Christian hostels, Christian rehab centers, more Christian coffee bars, etc. The states does seem to have far more Christian schools though that certainly could be expanded. US also has a few states with faith based jail programs.

We also could do better at defining Christianity in the area of economics. For instance, one of the first things we learn in econ is "Society's economic wants are unlimited and insatiable while economic resources are limited and scarce." Christian's need to be content with what we have, yet also recognize that God's resources are not really limited. Too often I hear Christians talk as though resources are a zero-sum game, that if one uses something up then someone else will not have enough. That is not how God works, because he is a multiplier. Secular economics does not really understand the concept sowing and reaping or individuals would give far more to others. I guess what I am trying to say is not only can we do better with reaching out in community, but we can also do better at teaching how Christianity differs and is even healthier than than secular economics.

• Winner
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are cultural and religious reasons for their behavior. Including an absence of debt due to college enrollment and a strict ordnung which governs their actions. I explored Amish sects years ago. There are a few books written by converts who joined the community as adults.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Yeah they come up every now and again. Strangely, I was on some "Postmodern" Christian boards where they come up as examples for "building an intentional community".

It was interesting to visit Lancaster country back in 2012, and now, I live 30-45 minute drive from their territory... (being in a suburban area of Philly and Allentown.)

A few months back a good friend here, a PA native, took me to Shady Maple. Which is kind of like a paradise of Amish embracing the mass tourism and consumerism of their local neighbors, especially the smorgasbord.

Farm Market, Smorgasbord, Banquets & Catering - - Shady Maple

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Amish depend on the generosity and availability of non-Amish friends in order to meet many of their needs, however. The general concept has merit, but the idea that they are self-sufficient because they are frugal and cooperative is something of a myth.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Amish depend on the generosity and availability of non-Amish friends in order to meet many of their needs, however. The general concept has merit, but the idea that they are self-sufficient because they are frugal and cooperative is something of a myth.

That's a good point. They sort of got the Chick Fil A thing going... They got this reputation for quality, honesty etc. and people want to buy from them.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like we're speaking of different things, Pavel. It wasn't the need for customers on the part of the Amish that I was referring to but, instead, the need of Amish people for the services that non-Amish people provide but the Amish do not.

If the self-sufficiency of the community is the objective, and the Amish are thought by outsiders to provide a model that other Christians might emulate, the truth is that the Amish are unable to achieve it themselves even considering their hard work, anti-materialism, and so on.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like we're speaking of different things, Pavel. It wasn't the need for customers on the part of the Amish that I was referring to but, instead, the need of Amish people for the services that non-Amish people provide but the Amish do not.

They need medical services from outsiders. And sometimes need the Law to arrest criminals etc. is their something more like welfare, or Christian Charities etc. that I'm not aware of?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They need medical services from outsiders. And sometimes need the Law to arrest criminals etc. is their something more like welfare, or Christian Charities etc. that I'm not aware of?
All sorts of things that we never give much thought to. Transportation, for instance. There are certain obligations that cannot be handled with a buggy ride. Taxes must be paid on their income, and tax accountants are not people who quit school after the eighth grade, so that requires the services of an outside accountant. There really is more that would make any Christian wanting to detach from the world for spiritual reasons think twice about using the Amish as the example to be followed.

• Agree
Upvote 0