St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The main tenet of the Christian faith is the Jesus is God, any church that does not recognize that is a sect. This is not my opinion, that is how it is.
You could have fooled me. Just from what Christians on CF tell me, the only important tenet of the Christian faith is that the Book of Genesis is literal history.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In that regard, all Christian churches are subgroups, or ‘sects’, of the original Rome-based religion. The Eastern Church is therefore a sect of the original, as are all of the Protestant churches. I see it simply as descriptive, rather than any slur...

Of course the churches Paul started preceded the Church of Rome. And the Church in Jerusalem was important befor Constantine.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Electing Trump will not make make abortion illegal. So, I'll shift gears, here. I have a serious question.

Obama was a supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood. Do we know about Biden's relationship with political Islamists?
Political Islam is here to stay in the Mid East. The real question is finding a way to encourage as much democracy and toleration as possible.

I was unable to find anything specific about Biden's attitude towards the Muslim Brotherhood other than propaganda. The serious articles on his foreign policy suggest that he will be more interested in promoting democracy and toleration in the Mid-East than Trump is. But I think the political situation is sufficiently different from the period you reference that it's hard to predict his attitude towards that specific group. Obama's luke-warm support for the Brotherhood was an attempt to find the the least bad actor. That's still likely to be the approach, but there's no reason to think that the Muslim Brotherhood will be part of it now.

Here's a review of general possibilities in the mid-East

What a Biden presidency might mean for the Middle East

I've looked at a fair amount about Biden's policies. You should not assume that they will be identical to Obama's. Here's a broader discussion of foreign policy: The Quiet Reformation of Biden’s Foreign Policy

The same is true of domestic policy. He's a lot more focused on rebuilding American industry than Obama was, and traditional welfare is likely to play a smaller role in the way he deals with domestic problems. I don't think he's going to be the weak guy that Trump is trying to claim, but I also think his policies may be hard to characterize in traditional Republican / Democratic terms. He's looking a lot better than I thought based on the Democratic debates. I don't see Biden himself as particularly a thinker, but there are plenty of smart people doing planning, and I think he's likely to take many of their recommendations.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You could have fooled me. Just from what Christians on CF tell me, the only important tenet of the Christian faith is that the Book of Genesis is literal history.
Not that so much as inerrancy, of which that's one implication. For many Christians, it's important to know the truth, and truth is by definition unchangeable. That means they want an oracle. For centuries it was Tradition. That became embodied in the Pope. For Protestants it's Scripture.

The idea that our knowledge of truth changes over time seems to me to be largely a result of the Enlightenment, though there are a few signs of it in the Reformation. That would imply that there is no oracle and that Christian ideas will change over time. But only a minority of Christians accept this: mainline churches and many Catholics (though the Catholic party line is ambivalent, and in many ways is still pre-Enlightenment). Those groups are not prominent in CF. I can only think of a hand-full of regular Christian posters here that represent it.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Electing Trump will not make make abortion illegal.

No, but do we really want somebody like that in office? Well not him personally,.. but those kind of ideas are just going to make things worse. I mean sure our country has bigger problems at the moment but still.

I didn't say it shouldn't be discussed and your analogy is way off.

How so? In one case a woman (or a man and a woman) doesn't want her (their) baby anymore, and in one case somebody doesn't want their child or family member anymore. I don't see that much of a difference.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
No, ‘I’ wouldn’t have existed. A group of cells would have existed for a short time. The concept of an ‘I’ would not, did not, occur until I was born.

So then explain how a baby kicks its mother inside the womb? You don't call that alive?

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How about the Pope and really there are many Catholics and Protestants.

Since he gets to interpret the doctrine, I would suggest the Pope is something of an exception? So, of the others, name one...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How so? In one case a woman (or a man and a woman) doesn't want her (their) baby anymore, and in one case somebody doesn't want their child or family member anymore. I don't see that much of a difference.

The difference is boldly autonomy.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I got special needs. Care to explain what that means?
At the simplest, a person gets to chose what becomes of their body. Others do not get to demand use of it even if doing so will result in their deaths, ie I cannot be forced to give away my kidney or blood. Applying that to the abortion issue a woman gets to chose if she will allow a fetus to grow within her. The same does not apply to independent family members one does not want around as they are not making use of ones body.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
At the simplest, a person gets to chose what becomes of their body. Others do not get to demand use of it even if doing so will result in their deaths, ie I cannot be forced to give away my kidney or blood. Applying that to the abortion issue a woman gets to chose if she will allow a fetus to grow within her. The same does not apply to independent family members one does not want around as they are not making use of ones body.

Okay,.. that part makes sense,.. but how fair is it to the child who doesn't get a choice of whether or not they want to live or die?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Okay,.. that part makes sense,.. but how fair is it to the child who doesn't get a choice of whether or not they want to live or die?
The fetus if making use of the woman body hence its right are second to hers.

Also, biology is not fair. Get over it.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You're still not really making any sense. If there's a live baby inside a woman then it's going to have an identity.
Not really. Not every collection of cells has a personal identity. Arms don't. Samples taken for medical diagnosis don't. From a Biblical point of view, I claim that the definition is the image of God. By any reasonable definition that requires a functioning cortex. That happens around 2/3 of the way into pregnancy. Some have argued for the "breath of life," which happens at birth. But others have argued that the blood is life, which would be earlier, though certainly not conception. But those are metaphors. The image of God seems like the most sensible definition.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
The fetus if making use of the woman body hence its right are second to hers.

Also, biology is not fair. Get over it.

Alright now you're making me mad but I think it's best that we end this discussion right here,.. but thankfully not everybody in the world is as cruel and heartless to say something like you just did.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Alright now you're making me mad but I think it's best that we end this discussion right here

If someone as mild as that angers you discussion forums may not be a healthy thing for you.

but thankfully not everybody in the world is as cruel and heartless to say something like you just did.

Heartless? Do tell, when did you donate your spare kidney?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.