Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Please don't take this the wrong way,.. I really don't want to start a fight,.. but how is there such things as Christian Democrats and or Liberals? (This might sound stupid but not sure if that's the same thing. XD)

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please don't take this the wrong way,.. I really don't want to start a fight,.. but how is there such things as Christian Democrats and or Liberals? (This might sound stupid but not sure if that's the same thing. XD)

Technically there can't be a Christian Democrat as Christians believe that God alone is Lord not that everyone ought to get a vote. Same thing goes with Christian Republican as, again, God alone is Lord and everyone doesn't get to choose a representative to rule over them instead. A Christian can be liberal or conservatives as there is nothing contradictory about being a Christian and being either of those.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a Christian semi-crat (a.k.a. Republicrat). Does that count?

I believe
  • in Fetal Rights,
  • that capitalism [earning a wage] is the ideal (when it works), &
  • that not all poverty is the consequence of personal responsibility (and that government has a minimal responsibility in that arena).
My ideal on the last point is that provision should be low enough to survive, but not be comfortable (if they can do better).

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well...if someone is a Christian and they are also a Democrat or a liberal, right there you have a Democrat who's a Christian or you have a liberal who's a Christian. Pretty easy really. :wave:
tulc(who's a Christian a Democrat and apparently a liberal) ;)

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well...if someone is a Christian and they are also a Democrat or a liberal, right there you have a Democrat who's a Christian or you have a liberal who's a Christian. Pretty easy really. :wave:
tulc(who's a Christian a Democrat and apparently a liberal) ;)

I believe you have properly identified your tendencies. The only really totally negative thing about tulc being the insatiable desire for that disgusting beverage.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Jesus was a rebel from what I have read. The real question is how there's such a thing as Christian Republicans or Conservatives, the former given the proclivities of the current president and the latter because, from what I have read and been told, Christians are supposed to stand against the world and be apart from it, not prop up it's worst capitalistic excesses.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe you have properly identified your tendencies. The only really totally negative thing about tulc being the insatiable desire for that disgusting beverage.
...if by "disgusting beverage" you mean that ambrosia our Lord has given to the people of Earth to demonstrate how much He loves us and has not abandoned us that is called coffee. Or to paraphrase a song I think sums up my feelings about coffee:
"Say it loud and there's music playing, say it soft and it's almost like praying!". :pray:
tulc(roasted 168 lbs of coffee Monday for his coffee shop here in Chicago) :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think she meant more along the lines of the democratic/liberal political platforms and the organizations associated with them.
...which none of that actually changes anything I posted. :wave:
tulc(is grateful for TenthAveN helping to clarify the OP) :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think the question can run both ways. Can a Christian have any allegiance higher the Jesus Christ? If our citizenship is in heaven (Philippians 3.20), then aligning one's self (unreservedly) with any political party of any temporal kingdom might seem inappropriate. So, first things first. Nonetheless, people of good conscience can disagree when it comes to important matters, and the same is true for Christians. I trust that there are both Christian Democrats and Christian Republicans of good conscience that have thought matters through and are making the best decision they can according to their best understanding. I just don't think there are very many of them. ;)

Upvote 0

cappycappy

Mar 30, 2020
Dallas
✟20,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I vote for the Democrats because as a whole i believe their platform is closer to my Christian values then that of the Republican party.

Same here.
I don't see much Christian about the current Republican party. Or the current president.

• Winner
Reactions: Triumvirate
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
First the term "Christian Democrat" actually refers to set of parties in Europe, but I know what you mean.

Most of the Christians I know don't understand how there can be Christian Republicans, with the Republican party as it is now. That wasn't the case 20 years ago. From my point of view Democrats come closer to carrying out the ideals of Jesus and the prophets. The things that attract people to Republicans are not based on Jesus' teachings. However there are issues with both parties.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it starts with what is a Christian? Are you born again of the Spirit of God through faith in Jesus Christ or are you a member of a so-called Christian denomination or raised in a Christian culture? For me, as a former Democrat, I could no longer reconcile being a Christian with a Party that has been rooted in racism from its inception and whose current manifestation is for the murder of unborn children, normalizing sexual sins like homosexuality, is anti-biblical marriage, overturns capital punishment, and, to a lesser degree, promotes government dependence, racial and economic division, open borders (lawlessness), and has a general ideology of godlessness and the marginalization of Christians. This isn't to say being a Republican is the ultimate answer, but I don't believe the Holy Spirit is confirming the things the Democrat Party party promotes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I think she meant more along the lines of the democratic/liberal political platforms and the organizations associated with them.

Yeah, that's what I meant,.. and I have special needs so what's the difference (if there is any) between Liberal/Democrat and Republican/Conservative?

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I think it starts with what is a Christian? Are you born again of the Spirit of God through faith in Jesus Christ or are you a member of a so-called Christian denomination or raised in a Christian culture? For me, as a former Democrat, I could no longer reconcile being a Christian with a Party that has been rooted in racism from its inception and whose current manifestation is for the murder of unborn children, normalizing sexual sins like homosexuality, is anti-biblical marriage, overturns capital punishment, and, to a lesser degree, promotes government dependence, racial and economic division, open borders (lawlessness), and has a general ideology of godlessness and the marginalization of Christians. This isn't to say being a Republican is the ultimate answer, but I don't believe the Holy Spirit is confirming the things the Democrat Party party promotes.

Exactly my point, so how can anybody call themselves Christian and supports all of these things? Although a lot of conservative Christians (not me) don't support capital punishment.

• Agree
Reactions: Running2win
Upvote 0

GraceBro

Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exactly my point, so how can anybody call themselves Christian and supports all of these things? Although a lot of conservative Christians (not me) don't support capital punishment.
Honestly, I think it comes down to a combination of people possibly not being true Christians, as I mentioned before, or don't know what the faith teaches on these issues. I know many people that don't know why they believe as they do. They support things simply because it's always been like that for them, and everybody in their circles thinks the same. They have never been challenged or motivated to search things out for themselves. My experience was similar. I called myself a Christian, went to church, etc. But, I didn't know Jesus Christ as my savior. I think there are many people like that. Heck, we have forums on this very platform for Mormons, and they aren't Christians, but you couldn't tell them that. Yet, many of them are conservative/Republican.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Honestly, I think it comes down to a combination of people possibly not being true Christians, as I mentioned before, or don't know what the faith teaches on these issues. I know many people that don't know why they believe as they do. They support things simply because it's always been like that for them, and everybody in their circles thinks the same. They have never been challenged or motivated to search things out for themselves. My experience was similar. I called myself a Christian, went to church, etc. But, I didn't know Jesus Christ as my savior. I think there are many people like that. Heck, we have forums on this very platform for Mormons, and they aren't Christians, but you couldn't tell them that. Yet, many of them are conservative/Republican.

I agree with everything else you said but how are Mormons not Christians? I don't really know the Mormon faith,.. but they believe in Jesus and that He died and rose again don't they?

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with everything else you said but how are Mormons not Christians? I don't really know the Mormon faith,.. but they believe in Jesus and that He died and rose again don't they?
It all goes back to what I mentioned before; "What does it mean to be a Christian?" The Bible talks extensively about false Christ's, different gospels, and warnings about angels saying misleading things. Look at our profile boxes to the side there. What do you see? Protestant, Methodist (no offense), Baptist, and so on. You don't find these terms in the Bible. These are identities we have latched onto based on different interpretations of the Bible and held onto based on continued usage and cultural acceptance. We cannot all be correct, but we can all be incorrect. We have to keep testing the spirits to see if they are from God. Trust the Holy Spirit to lead us into all truth as He promised.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.