✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

I think this faith group is needed because a Christian centrist currently cannot rightly or fully express the "potential range" of their peripheral beliefs in other theologically constrictive forums.

For a working definition and discussion on what a Christian Centrist is: Defining a Christian Centrist

For a poll to identify as a Christian Centrist and raise support: Do you identify as a Christian Centrist?

Perhaps, if CF is willing to make some rules concessions, a Christian Centrist faith group could be a really popular and interesting forum. This is due to the wide range of theological beliefs accepted by centrists and their willingness to peacefully hear out other's points of view.

For example, it is a fact that many Christians (especially centrists) believe that abortion, premarital sex, homosexuality, and marijuana use are acceptable and not sinful within "context and reason". I know a friend that supports some forms of abortion when the mother's life is at high risk. Currently, he would not be allowed to express this view anywhere on CF. However, they use the Bible to support their claims and desire to honor God.

I think it would be both fair and prudent to allow a sincere faith group to have such open conversations within the proper arena. Maybe the admins could turn off the "featured" thread function in this forum so no topics get leaked to the homepage.

Reactions: let it be

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
For example, it is a fact that many Christians (especially centrists) believe that abortion, premarital sex, homosexuality, and marijuana use are acceptable and not sinful within "context and reason".
That sounds closer to far left liberalism to me.

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That sounds closer to far left liberalism to me.

It might be, but that's the beauty of centrism. It can embrace any and all positions regardless of ideology. No centrist is exactly alike. Some would disagree with my friend, some would agree.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Slightly offtopic but what is interesting to me is the difference between how people view themselves and how they come across. We can think to ourselves "oh actually I am very broad -minded" but certain topics will reveal our true mind-set.
I do like to think of myself as broad-minded and willing to consider all points of view. But I'm almost certainly a liberal. Once you admit there might be an exception to abortion, that's it. You're going to Hell! :)

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Latitudinarians

I found an interesting article on this: What is latitudinarianism?

Sounds very close to the definition of a Christian centrist. However, I would add, even though I agree that we should downplay strict conformity to [peripheral] doctrine, church structure, and liturgy - this does not mean a centrist can't have strong personal convictions for some of those things.

• Agree
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Theologically Donald G. Bloesch is a good example of evangelical centrist, irenic and erudite, able move from one theologian to another with ease but grounded in Scripture, and sensitive to the condition of the church, and what the Holy Spirit is doing in our day. Being centrist certainly doesn't mean embracing all views regardless of ideological consistency - that's better described as being all over the map, or postmodern. Centrists like Bloesch are not latitudianian. Moderates may be more or less latitudinarian.

Upvote 0