Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
There are so many wonderful Christian books to read and enjoy! What are you enjoying reading?
Anything by Watchman Nee. Recently I've reread "The Cry of the Human Heart" by Juan Carlos Ortiz. It's a life changer for those who receive its message.

Upvote 0

Mayflower1

Hello my Name is "Child of the One True King"
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2005
Heaven of course!
✟117,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I havent got into many books other then the Bible and books for my kids.

But Max Luxado just writes some wonderful devotionals for both adults and kids. Punchinello is very moving and applies to adults also.

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Magnanimity

Dec 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Currently reading the Divine Names by Pseudo-Dionysius. I have rarely come across such depth and profundity in Christian writing. It feels like a transcendent experience, just in the reading of it. Wonderful stuff.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Anything by Watchman Nee. Recently I've reread "The Cry of the Human Heart" by Juan Carlos Ortiz. It's a life changer for those who receive its message.
Thanks 'Aussie Pete'. I read 'Normal Christian Life' and Normal Christian Worker' and 'Sit,Walk and Stand',by Watchman Nee. Will look out for 'The Cry of the Human Heart', by Juan Carlos Ortiz

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I havent got into many books other then the Bible and books for my kids.

But Max Luxado just writes some wonderful devotionals for both adults and kids. Punchinello is very moving and applies to adults also.

Thankyou 'Mayflower. Will check this out for our grandchildren. Looks interesting!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Currently reading the Divine Names by Pseudo-Dionysius. I have rarely come across such depth and profundity in Christian writing. It feels like a transcendent experience, just in the reading of it. Wonderful stuff.
Is this a Christian or pagan work?

• Haha
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Four Laws of Love by Jimmy Evans. An excellent book for married couples and those desiring to marry.

He has a 4 series sermon you can listen to.

Yours in His Service,

~bella
Sounds helpful! Thank you,'bella

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Magnanimity

Dec 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Is this a Christian or pagan work?

Ah, definitely Christian! But, I understand that many are not familiar with this author. Although I had seen various Christian authors quote from Pseudo-Dionysius over the years (e.g., Aquinas) I had not until fairly recently attempted to read any of this primary source. But, I am so glad that I did! The writings of Pseudo-Dionysius came highly recommended from a Christian polymath that I very much admire and also read from--David Bentley Hart.

I am an absolute sucker for spiritual writings that stretch my mind& heart to the utter brink of what they're capable of. And for me, Pseudo-Dionysius is one such author. He (or she?) is called "pseudo" because little is known of this author who took up a pseudonym to write under (see Acts 17:34 for the biblical reference to "Dionysius the Areopagite"). Psuedo-Dionysius is from 5th or 6th century, according to recent scholarship. Apparently, this author has had wide influence on all of Christendom - Orthodox, Catholic, Anglican and the Reformers.

Here is a little taste of the writing that a person can find from this author's works,

"Let us therefore look as far upward as the light of sacred scripture will allow, and, in our reverent awe of what is divine, let us be drawn together toward the divine splendor. For, if we may trust the superlative wisdom and truth of scripture, the things of God are revealed to each mind in proportion to its capacities; and the divine goodness is such that, out of concern for our salvation, it deals out the immeasurable and infinite in limited measures. Just as the senses can neither grasp nor perceive the things of the mind, just as the representation and shape cannot take in the simple and the shapeless, just as the corporal form cannot lay hold of the intangible and incorporeal, by the same standard of truth beings are surpassed by the infinity beyond being, intelligences by that oneness which is beyond intelligence. Indeed the inscrutable One is out of the reach of every rational process. Nor can any words come up to the inexpressible Good, this One, this Source of all unity, this supra-existent Being. Mind beyond mind, word beyond speech, it is gathered up by no discourse, by no intuition, by no name. It is and it is as no other being is. Cause of all existence, and therefore itself transcending existence, it alone could give an authoritative account of what it really is." The Divine Names (Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 1987), pp 49-50.​

• Informative
Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Ah, definitely Christian! But, I understand that many are not familiar with this author. Although I had seen various Christian authors quote from Pseudo-Dionysius over the years (e.g., Aquinas) I had not until fairly recently attempted to read any of this primary source. But, I am so glad that I did! The writings of Pseudo-Dionysius came highly recommended from a Christian polymath that I very much admire and also read from--David Bentley Hart.

I am an absolute sucker for spiritual writings that stretch my mind& heart to the utter brink of what they're capable of. And for me, Pseudo-Dionysius is one such author. He (or she?) is called "pseudo" because little is known of this author who took up a pseudonym to write under (see Acts 17:34 for the biblical reference to "Dionysius the Areopagite"). Psuedo-Dionysius is from 5th or 6th century, according to recent scholarship. Apparently, this author has had wide influence on all of Christendom - Orthodox, Catholic, Anglican and the Reformers.

Here is a little taste of the writing that a person can find from this author's works,

"Let us therefore look as far upward as the light of sacred scripture will allow, and, in our reverent awe of what is divine, let us be drawn together toward the divine splendor. For, if we may trust the superlative wisdom and truth of scripture, the things of God are revealed to each mind in proportion to its capacities; and the divine goodness is such that, out of concern for our salvation, it deals out the immeasurable and infinite in limited measures. Just as the senses can neither grasp nor perceive the things of the mind, just as the representation and shape cannot take in the simple and the shapeless, just as the corporal form cannot lay hold of the intangible and incorporeal, by the same standard of truth beings are surpassed by the infinity beyond being, intelligences by that oneness which is beyond intelligence. Indeed the inscrutable One is out of the reach of every rational process. Nor can any words come up to the inexpressible Good, this One, this Source of all unity, this supra-existent Being. Mind beyond mind, word beyond speech, it is gathered up by no discourse, by no intuition, by no name. It is and it is as no other being is. Cause of all existence, and therefore itself transcending existence, it alone could give an authoritative account of what it really is." The Divine Names (Mahwah, NJ: Paulist Press, 1987), pp 49-50.​
Thank you

Reactions: Magnanimity
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sounds helpful! Thank you,'bella

My pleasure. The Lord led me to his ministry years ago. His marriage teachings are no nonsense and relatable. Especially for men. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Read 'Surprised by Joy' by CS Lewis. Will look up John Owen
John Owen was one of those who could put a whole thought on page without a word processor, if you know what I mean. His isn't easy reading --it takes time and sometimes reading two or three times just to follow his meaning-- but it is well worth it. It isn't really hard, but deep and good for the soul. VERY satisfying. If you obtain just one of his, get 'The Mortification of Sin". or "The Death of Death, in the Death of Christ".

C.S. Lewis has so many worth reading I feel like a mosquito in a nudist camp trying to tell you what to read next, of his. They are all powerful, and thoughtful, but maybe his space trilogy is the most entertaining for an adult. It (the space trilogy) does not lack theological content, however --far from it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,760.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agree with Bella. Jimmy Evans ministry including Marriage Today would benefit almost anyone.

Reading "God's Prescription Book" again by Dr Avery Jackson, a neurosurgeon and a Christian. He elaborates on how applying Scriptures impacts us. An example is from the chapter on laughter - Says our bodies can't tell the difference between an authentic laugh or when we make ourselves laugh. But no matter "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine..." (Pro 17:22). Helps our immune system. (youtube can aid). Laughter, joy, and exercise affect the same receptors that pain does. So we may think God isnt doing anything yet Him and His Word are impacting us in numerous ways.

Still amazed at how God created us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have a nice selection of books, mostly Anglo Catholic ones, but I do like to dip into other authors from time to time. I'm one of those people who finds it difficult to read an entire text from beginning to end. It's probably the reason why most of my efforts at self-assembling furniture have turned out to be a disaster!

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have a nice selection of books, mostly Anglo Catholic ones, but I do like to dip into other authors from time to time. I'm one of those people who finds it difficult to read an entire text from beginning to end. It's probably the reason why most of my efforts at self-assembling furniture have turned out to be a disaster!
Thinking about it, I tend to just take a chapter or even a paragraph from a book and think and pray about it, and then move on to the next bit, I am reading Tozer at the moment. The reprints are larger type which is easier for me. I tend to follow ideas from book to book,
'Born after Midnight' by Tozer is very good.

Upvote 0