North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing you have read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom and The Diary Of Anne Frank?
Here are a couple that will also stir your heart and cause you to examine your own discipleship: If I Perish by Esther Ahn Kim

I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God by Bilquis Sheikh

I saw the movie Sophie Scholl - The Final Days DVD about two siblings and their resistance to the Nazis in The White Rose, but haven't read any of the books yet.

I'm sure you can find more to interest you at Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_22?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=christian+biographies+and+memoirs&sprefix=+Christian+Biographies

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If yuo want to try a work a bit more difficult and rather different from the usual Chriatian biography try 'Dietrich Bonhoeffer' by Eberhard Bethge. This is long, over 800 pages and almost a source document. Bethge has a lot of inside insight, he was one of Bonhoeffers students and eventually married Dietrichs niece. Unlike many popular works Bethge keeps an even hand, he does not waste tiem vilifying the Nazis or seeing vast conspiricies (well at least not against Deitrich). This makes some lines all the more striking. (We see the contents of a note from Dietrich's brother Klaus from when he is on trial saying he does not tear death, but can not stand the faces of the court, that they are pure evil). There are alos scenes from Dietrich's life where the popular works conjure up images of images of hobnailed boots, where instead Bethge has the Nazis in question waiting politely for him to finish his sermon (Bethge's account is very close to those of prisoners who were at the school house where this occured).

It is not an easy read. It is not a simple naritive and takes as much care in the 'boring' parts as it does for the 'action scenes'.

For me, an educated man who already knows Nazis are generally not very nice, one things that is striking is that every instance where Bethge recounts Bonhoeffer managing to get a positive responce serves not so much to blunt that knowledge, but to rather show the kind of man Bonhoeffer was.

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

I'm guessing you have read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom and The Diary Of Anne Frank?
Here are a couple that will also stir your heart and cause you to examine your own discipleship: If I Perish by Esther Ahn Kim

I Dared to Call Him Father: The Miraculous Story of a Muslim Woman's Encounter with God by Bilquis Sheikh

I saw the movie Sophie Scholl - The Final Days DVD about two siblings and their resistance to the Nazis in The White Rose, but haven't read any of the books yet.

I'm sure you can find more to interest you at Amazon.com
Amazon.com: christian biographies and memoirs: Books

oh thank you :) I so appreciate it! And I actually haven't read The Hiding Place

If yuo want to try a work a bit more difficult and rather different from the usual Chriatian biography try 'Dietrich Bonhoeffer' by Eberhard Bethge. This is long, over 800 pages and almost a source document. Bethge has a lot of inside insight, he was one of Bonhoeffers students and eventually married Dietrichs niece. Unlike many popular works Bethge keeps an even hand, he does not waste tiem vilifying the Nazis or seeing vast conspiricies (well at least not against Deitrich). This makes some lines all the more striking. (We see the contents of a note from Dietrich's brother Klaus from when he is on trial saying he does not tear death, but can not stand the faces of the court, that they are pure evil). There are alos scenes from Dietrich's life where the popular works conjure up images of images of hobnailed boots, where instead Bethge has the Nazis in question waiting politely for him to finish his sermon (Bethge's account is very close to those of prisoners who were at the school house where this occured).

It is not an easy read. It is not a simple naritive and takes as much care in the 'boring' parts as it does for the 'action scenes'.

For me, an educated man who already knows Nazis are generally not very nice, one things that is striking is that every instance where Bethge recounts Bonhoeffer managing to get a positive responce serves not so much to blunt that knowledge, but to rather show the kind of man Bonhoeffer was.

^_^ I can be up for a challenge....

I'll look that one up too :) Thanks much!

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Cross and the Switchblade - by David Wilkerson
Run Baby Run - by Nicky Cruz
Surprised by Joy - by CS Lewis
The True Story of my Life - Hans Christian Anderson

those are all autobiographies though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ariellamb

My Father is the Gardener
Nov 21, 2009
A stranger & a pilgrim sojourning near Cambridge
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Susana Wesley is so good that i bought 5 copies to give away. Only about $7 each.
Its about John & Charles's mother who had 19 children herself and was the youngest of 25. Very very readable and helps in understanding Gods dealings with us even in severe trials.

Upvote 0

CrimsonRiver

Feb 7, 2010
✟7,822.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I like to read Christian biographies as well. Some of my two favorites are "A Chance to Die" by Elisabeth Elliot (biography of Amy Charmichael) and "The Heavenly Man" by Brother Yun. I also like Hudson Taylor, Jonathan Edwards, George Whitefield, and George Muller. I like reading about missionaries a lot.

Reactions: Ariellamb
Upvote 0