Aug 20, 2010
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

I need some advice.

The lady next door to me has a cat that in my yard a lot. The cat is limping and looks like his leg is injured and he is possibly hurting. I have been here for months and the issue still persists.

I have thought about approaching her to let her know there is a vet hospital on my way to work and I have no problem taking the cat in. However, I have refrained as that may be weird to approach a neighbor I don't know like that.

The ex-boyfriend of the neighbor who has the cat decided to put the cat in a cat carrier to take it to the vet. The husband of a couple that lives on the other side of me decided to go with (they feel bad for the cat too).

When they came back, the lady called the police about them taking her cat. I wanted to talk to the police afterward to let them know what has been going on. The police left and came back later to talk to me. In between that time, the lady started talking to me. I think I started telling her that I was concerned about the cat because he looks injured and like he needs to go to the vet. During our conversation that escallated I got abrasive with her, and told her something like that if I were to call animal control she could get slapped with a 5,000 fine for leaving her animal out in that situation. I said to her a couple of times "I just want you to know."

When I spoke to the police officer I believe I told him though it may not have been right for them to take the neighbor's cat (to the vet) without asking, I understand why they did it. After I spoke with the police officer he took my info to give to animal control. They called me and I told them the situation. I told them that I didn't want the lady to get a fine or be imprisoned, and I don't want him to be put down. I just want him to go to the vet.

I think God is not pleased with the abrasive way I handled my neighbor, and that I may have ruined any possible chance to witness to them. Do you have any advice on how to remedy or salvage any possible relationship?

Now the woman is probably going to think I called animal control on purpose when the police officer said he was handing my info to them, (which will probably make her perception of me worse).

I also don't want them to put down the cat. I probably shouldn't have gotten in the middle of it.

Help please?

LilLamb219

The Lamb is gone
Site Supporter
Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
✟83,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Love isn't always as gentle as people want to believe. I wasn't there to know how harsh you were with her, but letting her know that you could have called Animal Control wasn't a bad thing...in fact you PROBABLY SHOULD have called Animal Control before the animal got so bad. She's a poor pet owner!!!

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2010
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

To her defense, she said to me "how do you know I haven't taken him to the vet and it's arthritis?" However when you look at his leg though it clearly looks like it has been injured, it doesn't look like arthritis, but then again I'm not a vet.

How should I get on good standing with the neighbor with the cat? I know God cares about animals, but he also cares about people too. I don't want to ruin any potential to witness to someone and bring them to Christ over an animal. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Upvote 0

jehoiakim

Servant
Jun 24, 2011
New Jersey
✟17,202.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
maybe start by apologizing for your abrasive behavior and apologize for not coming to her first and see whatever it goes from their, just be prepared by lots of praying for a firestorm, hopefully that doesn't happen and she sees that in reality you were just concerned

Upvote 0

BFine

Seed Planter
Jul 19, 2011
My room
✟11,098.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Sincerely apologize to her for your abrasiveness to her and for allowing
the situation to escalate.

In future meetings-- be polite towards her.

Building trust takes time especially after getting started off on the proverbial
wrong foot.
Patience and prayer.
Don't push or press her to forgive or accept you as a friend.

Upvote 0

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Sincerely apologize to her for your abrasiveness to her and for allowing
the situation to escalate.

In future meetings-- be polite towards her.

Building trust takes time especially after getting started off on the proverbial
wrong foot.
Patience and prayer.
Don't push or press her to forgive or accept you as a friend.

This.

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Next time, try to refrain from getting involved in so much. I think this would have been easier if you'd approached the cat lady initially than what happened eventually.
I also feel you should apologise as well. There are many things in real life that are not fair. We can't take everything on ourselves to fix. Some things shouldnt really be our business.
Many people get into trouble for 'trying to help' or thinking they are 'just trying to help'

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it might have been better to have got to know the lady first, and if good relations were established, then perhaps you could have said something like 'what a lovely cat, what's it's name - what's up with it's leg?' And then taken it from there. She may have confided in you and perhaps you could've helped her and the cat in a more positive way. AND maintained a good relationship.
But of course, it is difficult often to know the best thing to do..very easy not to get it right. perhaps it wouldn't have worked out well whatever course of action you took.

Upvote 0