Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm looking for a church, and a friend recommended a local C&MA. We are planning on visiting this Sunday. I've read their stuff on the web, and so far, things look pretty good.

I'm wondering: is there anyone here who has some personal experience with this type of church? I'd like to know more. Thanks.

Speculative

Senior Veteran
May 29, 2007
Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LOL--with one visit to a C&MA church, it appears I'm the resident expert :D

I must say, my experience was overwhelmingly positive. I'll be putting more in my blog about it, but I can say that anyone who is looking for a church would do well to check into a C&MA congregation if there's one near you.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
LOL--with one visit to a C&MA church, it appears I'm the resident expert :D

I was about to answer the OP the other day, but I decided against it for one reason--nothing special to impart.

The C&MA began as a missionary organization (what a surprise, huh?) and became another Protestant denomination. It still is dedicated to missionary efforts but, then again, so are many other denominations which were not formed for that purpose alone and which do not have the word Missionary in their names. It is, from all I know, a mid-sized and typical Protestant church not differentiated in any important way from many other evangelical, non-liturgical Protestant churches.

Upvote 0

Speculative

Senior Veteran
May 29, 2007
Seattle
✟19,750.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
CM&A is a good group. They are evangelical and Biblically focused.
So, this last Sunday they showcased their AWANA clubs. It turns out that this particular church has a close relationship with the local PCA church as well. A lot of them send their kids to the C&MA for AWANAs--even the pastor's kids. I also heard that the C&MA pastor, the PCA pastor, and the pastor of a Nazarene church meet together. Apparently it's the AWANA program that's the catalyst for all this cooperation, but it was good to see all of these folks at church last Sunday. The place was overflowing.

I figured as a Calvinist, you might find that interesting :)

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, this last Sunday they showcased their AWANA clubs. It turns out that this particular church has a close relationship with the local PCA church as well. A lot of them send their kids to the C&MA for AWANAs--even the pastor's kids. I also heard that the C&MA pastor, the PCA pastor, and the pastor of a Nazarene church meet together. Apparently it's the AWANA program that's the catalyst for all this cooperation, but it was good to see all of these folks at church last Sunday. The place was overflowing.

I figured as a Calvinist, you might find that interesting :)

AWANA is heavy on Scripture memory and is excellent. Not surprised to see some PCAs jumping in.

Sounds cool

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know about the church, but the folks I have worked the past four years for are CMA (Canada) and they are top-notch. Very sound doctrine and they walk out there faith in business and in care of me and the employees they have entrusted to my management.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,801.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's a good, missionary minded, Bible teaching, dispensational, premillennial, 3 to 5 point Arminian denomination (the full range is allowed). If that is reasonably aligned with your understanding of Scripture it may be a good place to worship.

Personally, I believe the Free Presbyterians have the most biblical denomination.

Upvote 0

msortwell

Mar 9, 2004
Gibson, Wisconsin
✟184,801.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sort, what do you mean by dispensational, premillenial, and 3-5 point Armenian? I don't understand what those terms mean.

"Dispensational" - This relates to what they understand the Bible to teach regarding God's means of redeeming and restoring men to Himself, how it worked in the past, how it works today, and what will happen in the future. Key elements emphasize the differences between how God deals with men at different times in redemptive history, and the restoration of national Israel as God's chosen people.

Premillennial - This refers to their belief that there will be a 1000 year earthly reign of Christ and that He will return prior to that reign. Many (most?) holding this view believe it will include the restoration of the Temple and Sacrificial System,

Reference to Arminian - This is an understanding of the process of God saving men. Like the "other camp" - Calvinism, the Arminian view aknowledges that there is a necessary work of the Holy Spirit in the process of bringing men toward a saving knowledge of Christ. The difference between the "3 and 5 points" referenced relates to whether or not the church believes that the truly saved can be lost. The C&MA allows for either position to be held by its people - some within the church believe in eternal security of the believer (which is more consistent with that "other camp"). Other C&MA folks hold that it is possible for the truly redeemed (saved) person to ultimately reject Christ, to their final destruction.

These are extremely superficial descriptions of relatively complex but significant doctrinal issues with which a person should be aware when choosing a church. Since I am neither dispensational nor Arminian I was constrained to identify these teachings of the C&MA. They are within what I consider to be the realm of orthodoxy and brothers in Christ, but we have significant disagreements.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums