Logan City
✟757,156.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
At any time I think our motives and emotions are mixed. At one level, I'm glad I wasn't there, either as a possible victim or spectator. At another, as an Australian I'm offended by this stupid man's evil actions, and the deadly and widespread fall out they will have, even though every other Australian had absolutely nothing to do with it. There's a furtive wish he'd been of some other nationality.

A couple of days ago I read that Erdogan, to score a few political points, seemed to want to threaten Australians and New Zealanders, despite the fact the mass murderer acted alone.

When next day I read Nigerian Christians were massacred by Nigerian Moslems, my sympathy waned a bit. When 9/11 took place, I was at first incredulous and appalled, and then irritated by the endless reruns on the news.

At one point just after the Second Gulf War the camera focused on two Iraqi women washing clothes in the (I presume) Tigris River and I was cheered by their laughter and light heartedness to each other. Then I saw them look at the camera and their expressions changed to what seemed wary anger, and I thought of the destruction they'd seen and had done nothing to cause.

When Pol Pot was in Cambodia, I felt for the people, and actually felt pleased when the Vietnamese went in and stopped him, despite their own persecution of Christians, when nobody else had the guts to do anything about him.

And most of all, having lived for a reasonable number of years, I realise there's nothing new under the sun, and these things will go on, and on, and on, until the final day of reckoning, and then, and only then, will they stop.

We blow with the wind when it comes to our emotions. People were dying all the time that Christ was literally walking the earth. He healed and raised a few, but He would not even have been told about most of them. Yet the only time He was recorded as shedding tears was when was about to raise Lazarus, a friend, from the dead. "Jesus wept" (John 11:33).

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
but suddenly does when you add "They were the same ethnicity/nationality/religion as you".

That is blatantly not true and a huge false misrepresentation. I am American and do care when Americans get hurt, do not know anyone in New Zealand so no I do not care about them. I am sorry for their loss but that is as far as it goes and I will not fall all over trying to say I like muslims just because of what happpened

Upvote 0

Haramis

Dancing on Rainbows
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2012
✟57,966.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Haramis said:
but suddenly does when you add "They were the same ethnicity/nationality/religion as you".
That is blatantly not true and a huge false misrepresentation. I am American and do care when Americans get hurt, do not know anyone in New Zealand so no I do not care about them.
It's literally and directly what you yourself said

Tutorman said:
,I felt great sadness over Las Vegas (1)

I felt sadness when I found the young turks, muslims, committed genocide against my ancestors (2)

I can never see muslims as wonderful after what they did on 9/11

When people feel just as bad when Christians get killed like the Nigerian Christians than I will feel a bit more bad for others (3)
You have sympathy for people who match your:
1. Nationality - check (Most of the Vegas victims were neither devout Christians nor Greek)
2. Ethnicity - check (ancestors were not American)
3. Religion - check (Nigerian Christians who are neither American nor your ethnicity)

And the theme I see running thorough this is the concept of blood liable. Young Turks+9/11+Nigeria.

So is it really because you're not from New Zealand, or specifically because you feel Muslims incur shared guilt for atrocities?

Upvote 0

david shelby

Mar 14, 2019
USA
✟2,210.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
  • Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2019
Massachusetts
✟1,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have been sitting here and not feeling anything directly. I feel bad for the people left behind but I don't feel nothing for what happened. Does that make me bad?

I don't feel pity for the victims, either. The reason why I don't feel sorry for them is because I'm very biased against multiculturalism and Islamic immigration into Western countries. I agree with the Dalai Lama when he said that European nations belong to Europeans. That also includes Western nations outside of Europe such as New Zealand. You can read about the Dalai Lama's comments on multiculturalism and refugees in Europe here: Dalai Lama says ‘Europe belongs to the Europeans’ and suggests refugees return to native countries It's funny, because liberals went into conniptions when the Buddhist pope stated what should be plainly obvious to anyone who doesn't want their nation's culture and demographics to change into something completely different and alien.

Upvote 0