-
✟678,708.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Recently, I finished reading Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev’s book “Christ the Conqueror of Hell.” This fascinating study focuses on Christ’s descent into Hades and quotes abundantly from Orthodox writers and liturgical texts. My question is not about whether all, most, or some people in Hades came to believe in Christ’s redemption and to be saved. The texts leave this question open.

The quoted texts, in general, describe the event as a resurrection and an emptying of the graves. I know that the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed says, “We look forward to the resurrection of the dead.” The general resurrection is yet in the future.

My question is about the sense in which Adam and Eve and other people were resurrected and the graves were emptied. Clearly, the resurrection of the body has not happened and the bodies of the saints remain in the graves.

Could it be the the case that Orthodox writers believed that the soul, which dwelled with the body in the grave, was resurrected?*

In 2Co 5, St Paul says, "We are confident, then, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord." And he also says, "Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is dismantled, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands." These 2 statements seem to indicate some sort of an immediate resurrection after death.

*In this sense, the soul talked about is not Plato’s rational soul, which is akin of the spirit in NT writings, but rather the OT nefesh soul.

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟555,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps the answer is found in the last book of the Bible.

Revelation 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Could it be that the first resurrection took place when Christ entered Hades and emptied it out, restoring all that the devil had stolen? He broke into the abode of the "strong man," bound him, and plundered his house (Hades). Those who "have part" in the first resurrection - - could this be referring to believers who were awaiting in Hades the coming of the Messiah? By their baptism they have part in Christ's resurrection and thus, are part of the "first resurrection."

If resurrection means a restoration unto life, then this is perhaps a plausible explanation. Then, the Second Resurrection would be that of the body, uniting it to the soul when the end comes and, according to St. Paul, Christ hands over the kingdom to God and God becomes "all in all."

22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. (Full stop. It appears this is not the end of the world. Look at the next verse.) 24 Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. 25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For he “has put everything under his feet.” Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. 28 When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

Perhaps . . . just pondering this all out loud.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,708.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Could it be that the first resurrection took place when Christ entered Hades and emptied it out, restoring all that the devil had stolen? He broke into the abode of the "strong man," bound him, and plundered his house (Hades). Those who "have part" in the first resurrection - - could this be referring to believers who were awaiting in Hades the coming of the Messiah? By their baptism they have part in Christ's resurrection and thus, are part of the "first resurrection." If resurrection means a restoration unto life, then this is perhaps a plausible explanation.
This is exactly what the liturgical texts he quoted say. So, you believe the 1st resurrection is that of the soul? This also implies that the souls of the NT saints are resurrected immediately at the time of baptism, right?

Then, the Second Resurrection would be that of the body, uniting it to the soul when the end comes and, according to St. Paul, Christ hands over the kingdom to God and God becomes "all in all."
This is my thinking, also.

Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟555,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is exactly what the liturgical texts he quoted say. So, you believe the 1st resurrection is that of the soul? This also implies that the souls of the NT saints are resurrected immediately at the time of baptism, right?

I hadn't thought about that, but it makes total sense in light of being baptized into Christ. If one is baptized into He who is Life, then we must be partakers of that Life also.

Have to think this one through a bit.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

East Anglican

Nov 15, 2003
Suffolk, England
Visit site
✟9,088.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
UK-Conservative
I hadn't thought about that, but it makes total sense in light of being baptized into Christ. If one is baptized into He who is Life, then we must be partakers of that Life also.

Have to think this one through a bit.
That's my interpretation of Romans 6 so when Jesus talked of being born of water and the Spirit, it sounds like he was talking about baptism ans chrismation.

Please excuse my old handle. I am no longer in that congregation of confusion.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's my interpretation of Romans 6 so when Jesus talked of being born of water and the Spirit, it sounds like he was talking about baptism ans chrismation.

yep, Christ could also be talking about just baptism as well (both are true).

Upvote 0