Christ takes away the first (sacrifice and offering) in the midst of the 70th week

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is Christ who takes away the first (sacrifice and offering) at his death, resurrection, and ascension in order to establish the 2nd.

Daniel 9:27 In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering

Hebrews 10:8-10 First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them”—though they were offered in accordance with the law. Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He takes away the first to establish the second. And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

The Hebrew words for sacrifice and offering in Daniel 9 are different than what is found in other passages about the sacrifice being taken away (Daniel 8 and 12).

The Hebrew word for sacrifice in Daniel 8 and 12, is actually literally translated as "the daily". the Hebrew word for sacrifice is not in the passage.

Daniel 8:11 it took away the daily [sacrifice] from the Lord, and his sanctuary was thrown down
Daniel 12:11 From the time that the daily [sacrifice] is abolished and the abomination that causes desolation is set up, there will be 1,290 days

While Antiochus and his army stopped "the daily" during the time of the Seleucids and the zealots/Titus/Roman armies stopped "the daily" during the jewish-roman war, It is Christ who took away the "sacrifice and offering" for all who believe by his death and resurrection.

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,822.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is Christ who takes away the first (sacrifice and offering) at his death, resurrection, and ascension in order to establish the 2nd.
The sacrifices and offerings continued until 70 AD, when the Temple was destroyed.
Your idea that Christ fulfills Daniel 9:27 and 2 Thessalonians 2:4 is quite impossible.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The sacrifices and offerings continued until 70 AD, when the Temple was destroyed.
Your idea that Christ fulfills Daniel 9:27 and 2 Thessalonians 2:4 is quite impossible.

With the completion of His Son's perfect Sacrifice at Calvary, God was utterly uninterested in what was happening in the temple before He destroyed it in 70 AD.

Since Christ's Offering has not caused the cessation of sacrifice and oblation for you, you must still be performing your own sacrificial rituals.

How are you enjoying that?

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,822.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
With the completion of His Son's perfect Sacrifice at Calvary, God was utterly uninterested in what was happening in the temple before He destroyed it in 70 AD.

Since Christ's Offering has not caused the cessation of sacrifice and oblation for you, you must still be performing your own sacrificial rituals.

How are you enjoying that?
As I am an Israelite; an Overcomer for God, in exile, I am not required to make sacrifices now. Hosea 9:4
But I look forward to the time that we Christians will rebuild the Temple and live in peace in all of the holy Land, as Ezekiel 40 to 48 describes.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I look forward to the time that we Christians will rebuild the Temple and live in peace in all of the holy Land, as Ezekiel 40 to 48 describes.

The woman at the well agrees with you.
You must have missed the part where Christ corrected her.

Joh 4:20 Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship."
Joh 4:21 Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father.
Joh 4:22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.
Joh 4:23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.
Joh 4:24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

1Pe 2:4 Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious,
1Pe 2:5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
1Pe 2:6 Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture, "BEHOLD, I LAY IN ZION A CHIEF CORNERSTONE, ELECT, PRECIOUS, AND HE WHO BELIEVES ON HIM WILL BY NO MEANS BE PUT TO SHAME."
1Pe 2:7 Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient, "THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED HAS BECOME THE CHIEF CORNERSTONE,"
1Pe 2:8 and "A STONE OF STUMBLING AND A ROCK OF OFFENSE." They stumble, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed.
1Pe 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
1Pe 2:10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Joh 4:20 Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship."
Joh 4:21 Jesus said to her, "Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father.
Joh 4:22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews.
Joh 4:23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him.
Joh 4:24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

I don't agree with the building of a brick and mortar temple post the 2nd coming, yet in context, in the above passage you supplied, those things are only meaning in the here and now and not also after Christ has returned.

What does it mean to you in the here and now, in regards to the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth? Describe what that looks like. Then envision Christ physically returning. What does one then do with verse 23 and 24 post the 2nd coming?

• Agree
Reactions: keras
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Correct, the daily sacrifice continued until the Jewish roman war. But did these mean anything after God sacrificed his own son?

Hebrews 10:1 For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near

Hebrews was written before the temple was destroyed, before the daily sacrifice ceased, and yet the author of hebrews still states the following:

Hebrews 10:18 Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.

Did you read that? Even though daily offerings were still happening in temple, the author of hebrews clearly states there is no longer any offering for sin.

strawman argument. Never said Christ fulfilled 2 thessalonians 2:4, nor do I believe he does.

Upvote 0

shilohsfoal

Jacks or better to open
Jan 3, 2011
✟73,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

shilohsfoal

Jacks or better to open
Jan 3, 2011
✟73,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Correct, the daily sacrifice continued until the Jewish roman war. But did these mean anything after God sacrificed his own son?

Hebrews 10:1 For since the law has but a shadow of the good things to come instead of the true form of these realities, it can never, by the same sacrifices that are continually offered every year, make perfect those who draw near

Hebrews was written before the temple was destroyed, before the daily sacrifice ceased, and yet the author of hebrews still states the following:

Hebrews 10:18 Where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer any offering for sin.

Did you read that? Even though daily offerings were still happening in temple, the author of hebrews clearly states there is no longer any offering for sin.

strawman argument. Never said Christ fulfilled 2 thessalonians 2:4, nor do I believe he does.

If the sacrifices of sheep ever ment anything then the phariseees would have been holy.
The sacrifice inthe texts has nothing to do with sheep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0

shilohsfoal

Jacks or better to open
Jan 3, 2011
✟73,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Christ abolished the sacrifice, at Calvary by His Own Sacrifice, two millennia ago.

Ever since, "whosoever will" can know and understand it.

So you saying christ is the millitary that places the abomination that causes desolation?

Daniel 11:31 KJV: And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.

If not,then Christ has not abolished the daily saricifice.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

shilohsfoal

Jacks or better to open
Jan 3, 2011
✟73,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't agree with the building of a brick and mortar temple post the 2nd coming, yet in context, in the above passage you supplied, those things are only meaning in the here and now and not also after Christ has returned.

What does it mean to you in the here and now, in regards to the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth? Describe what that looks like. Then envision Christ physically returning. What does one then do with verse 23 and 24 post the 2nd coming?

Gal 4:24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar—
Gal 4:25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children—
Gal 4:26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.

2Th 1:7 and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels,
2Th 1:8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Th 1:9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,
2Th 1:10 when He comes, in that Day, to be glorified in His saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed.

2Ti 4:1 I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom:

Heb 12:22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels,
Heb 12:23 to the general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect,
Heb 12:24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.

2Pe 3:5 For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of water and in the water,
2Pe 3:6 by which the world that then existed perished, being flooded with water.
2Pe 3:7 But the heavens and the earth which are now preserved by the same word, are reserved for fire until the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.
2Pe 3:11 Therefore, since all these things will be dissolved, what manner of persons ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness,
2Pe 3:12 looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be dissolved, being on fire, and the elements will melt with fervent heat?
2Pe 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

Rev_3:12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.

Rev 11:15 Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!"

Rev 11:18 The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come, And the time of the dead, that they should be judged, And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints, And those who fear Your name, small and great, And should destroy those who destroy the earth."

Rev_21:2 Then I, John, saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,822.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
But they refer to the same event. Daniel 9:27 and Matthew 24:15 are all about the leader of the One World Govt, desecrating the Temple. It is then that he is revealed as the Anti-Christ.
The woman at the well agrees with you.
You must have missed the part where Christ corrected her.
No, I didn't miss it; that sort of comment is for 1st graders. Please desist from that type of reply, it actually reflects badly onto you.
What you seem to have missed, is Jesus saying...and now is.
Meaning that since His Advent, His followers won't worship Him in a Temple or Jerusalem. And this is how it has been for nearly 2000 years. But NOT forever!
Soon, the great world changer of the Sixth Seal disaster will happen and the Temple will be built by people who come from far away... Zechariah 6:15
Christ abolished the sacrifice, at Calvary by His Own Sacrifice, two millennia ago.
Correct. But that does not mean that God will never require sacrifices and offerings made in His Temple, again.
In fact, we know from Ezekiel 40 to 48, Isaiah 56:6-7, that He will accept them. That there must be sacrifices and offerings again, is made plain by Daniel 9:27 and 2 Thessalonians 2:4, where the AC causes them to cease.

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Correct. But that does not mean that God will never require sacrifices and offerings made in His Temple, again.
In fact, we know from Ezekiel 40 to 48, Isaiah 56:6-7, that He will accept them. That there must be sacrifices and offerings again, is made plain by Daniel 9:27 and 2 Thessalonians 2:4, where the AC causes them to cease.

The writer of Hebrews disagrees.

Hebrews 7
27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.

Hebrews 10
10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dan 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

Heb_9:26 He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.

Heb_9:28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

Heb_10:6 IN BURNT OFFERINGS AND SACRIFICES FOR SIN YOU HAD NO PLEASURE.

Heb_10:8 Previously saying, "SACRIFICE AND OFFERING, BURNT OFFERINGS, AND OFFERINGS FOR SIN YOU DID NOT DESIRE, NOR HAD PLEASURE IN THEM" (which are offered according to the law),

Heb 10:16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Heb 10:17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
Heb 10:18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

If you have to ignore what the New Testament says and go back to the Old Testament to make your doctrine work, you cannot be correct.

Anyone who denies the fulfillment of the New Covenant promised in Jeremiah 31:31-34, which is found fulfilled in Hebrews 8:6-13, and Hebrews 10:16-18, and Hebrews 12:22-24, will remain in error.
(1 John 2:27)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the sacrifices of sheep ever ment anything then the phariseees would have been holy.

The law was only a shadow
Hebrews 10:1 The Law is only a shadow of the good things to come, not the realities themselves. It can never, by the same sacrifices offered year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship

But still, before the New covenant, Israel was required to follow ALL of the law, and that included the sacrifices.
Deuteronomy 30:16 For I am commanding you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways, and to keep His commandments, statutes, and ordinances, so that you may live and increase, and the LORD your God may bless you in the land you are entering to possess.

The sacrifice inthe texts has nothing to do with sheep.

The sacrifice and offering in Daniel 9 have nothing to do with sacrifice and offering?

Upvote 0