✟28,136.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Christ is born!

Besides one of the stickies, I doubt I am remembered by many. Times have gotten harder and harder. Throughout my times only one thing has remained constant, my trials to follow Christ. So with this lonely Christmas upon me, I hope you will have me back here in TAW and I pray through some fellowship, I can find a way through the trails of 2017.

Hoankan

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Glorify Him!

And welcome back! It's a quiet evening, which is appropriate I think. I'm just taking a break - Christmas Eve and I'm finally getting a tree up. I'm told that's the old tradition though. :)

I pray you have a blessed evening. And look forward to seeing you around soon!

God be with you. :)

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The punishment for leaving is stiff: you have to watch 3 Hillary Clinton speeches, listen to Primus for 2 straight hours, and crawl on your knees for 48 hours. After that you're back in good standing at TAW.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The punishment for leaving is stiff: you have to watch 3 Hillary Clinton speeches, listen to Primus for 2 straight hours, and crawl on your knees for 48 hours. After that you're back in good standing at TAW.

Mercy! And I thought we Fundies were rough!

Actually I dropped in to welcome you back, @Hoankan. Merry Christmas!

All good things
Emmy

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,922.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey, Hoankan!
My memory stretches back a ways! I don't have Japanese fonts, but watashi wa sensei desu, so wakarimasu a (very) little Nihon-go. At one time, I had nearly learned the harakana and katakana, but I've gone and forgotten it all.
From one lonely expat to another, Merry Christmas!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey, Hoankan!
My memory stretches back a ways! I don't have Japanese fonts, but watashi wa sensei desu, so wakarimasu a (very) little Nihon-go. At one time, I had nearly learned the harakana and katakana, but I've gone and forgotten it all.
From one lonely expat to another, Merry Christmas!

You sound a lot like me. I used to read Japanese, and speak enough to limp by in some very general conversations. I fear I've forgotten a lot. I'm still hoping to get Greek stuffed in there to a degree to be at least useful during the Liturgy and reading the Septuagint. :)

Upvote 0

Hoankan

TAW Samurai
Feb 14, 2007
Gifu, Japan
✟28,136.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

4 moves in 11 months. Two job losses and a drop to 1/4 of my prior income. Tax, insurance, pension issues as well as nearly being deported and lots of time at different government agencies and lawyers due to one black contract. That sounds like a cake walk to me. Now trying to eat three meals a day (I can barely stomach two on a good day) or go a week without nightmares, that'd be a real challenge. I know what you said was in good jest, I just want to convey up front how dark things are for me when I ask to be allowed back.

Thank you everyone for the welcome backs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to hear it, Hoankan. What on Earth happened to you to get you nearly deported, appetite-challenged, moving so much, and having tax and pension issues? Throw in a dead dog, divorce, and having an LAX flight canceled and I think you've pretty much covered every major stressful scenario out there!?

I'm not sure I've "met" you before? I need to be clued in here. Sorry to hear an Orthodox ninja is in such bad shape. Hopefully you'll have those shurikens sharpened up and ready to throw again soon!

4 moves in 11 months. Two job losses and a drop to 1/4 of my prior income. Tax, insurance, pension issues as well as nearly being deported and lots of time at different government agencies and lawyers due to one black contract. That sounds like a cake walk to me. Now trying to eat three meals a day (I can barely stomach two on a good day) or go a week without nightmares, that'd be a real challenge. I know what you said was in good jest, I just want to convey up front how dark things are for me when I ask to be allowed back.

Thank you everyone for the welcome backs.

Upvote 0

Hoankan

TAW Samurai
Feb 14, 2007
Gifu, Japan
✟28,136.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to hear it, Hoankan. What on Earth happened to you to get you nearly deported, appetite-challenged, moving so much, and having tax and pension issues? Throw in a dead dog, divorce, and having an LAX flight canceled and I think you've pretty much covered every major stressful scenario out there!?

I'm not sure I've "met" you before? I need to be clued in here. Sorry to hear an Orthodox ninja is in such bad shape. Hopefully you'll have those shurikens sharpened up and ready to throw again soon!

A little over two and a half years ago, I switched jobs to one full time elementary school. My prior job had burned me out something terrible. Had to make a move for my new job. After a month and a half, I discovered that the first place had some structural issues and construction was needed. So another move. This time things seemed fine but about five or six weeks later I wound up in the ER, my lungs on fire. Sick Building Syndrome. 2 weeks living in a car while I found a new place to live and another move. The SBS was the tip of the iceberg on that. Had to throw out a lot of my possessions as toxic black mold was found.

At work, things seemed to be fine until a month after my move, I got called into a meeting. The powers that be had decided that they didn't like my teaching style and I was being demoted from lead to assistant. That didn't go over well with me as I knew the curriculum the teacher complaining wanted to impose wasn't a good one as I had worked with two version's earlier. It also went over like a lead weighted balloon with the parents who saw their students go from loving English to complaining about it. So the school, having lost face, returned me back to being in charge but in January of last year handed me my walking papers along with a bunch of phony reasons.

I scrambled to find a new job and a dispatch company offered me a position at a Catholic girls high school. First year with the dispatch company then regular employment with the school This entailed another move to an entirely new area and a loss of deposit money from my prior place.

Come January, the dispatch company informed me I was being fired and the school didn't want me. More than a little confused, I talked to the school and they were interested and planning on bringing me on board as a regular teacher. We started negotiations and the dispatch company interjected itself and told them they can't negotiate with me. Something was foul about this and I poked around. At the time all I could come up with was that the contract wasn't correct and the dispatch company was violating the law. I tried to tell the school but they believed the company over me. Out of a job again.

Now the dispatch company's contract is about as black as they get. On the surface, it looks like a perfectly normal labor contract. But they took some huge and illegal liberties. To me, the school and immigration, they said I was a full time employee (this is required for my visa). To the tax office they said I was a company and to the pension and health insurance they said I was a part time employee working 18 hours (based on the number of teaching hours, not hours I worked). Thus I was grossly over taxed and denied benefits. Also Japanese law has a unique quirk. A triangle contract (what this company did) is illegal and as the school was my direct boss (the only time the dispatch company bossed me was to fire me), the school is my employer and thus my firing was illegal as was the negotiation interference.

After doing my research, I presented my information to several different parts of the government. The Labor Ministry couldn't do anything but give the dispatch company recommendations to fix things. The tax agency took my evidence of tax fraud and basically said we don't care, just pay us the money you owe (technically I should be getting $300 to $500 back due to over taxation, not paying an additional $1,800). Immigration was furious that I couldn't list my last employer clearly so I had to overstay my visa and reset it.

I have since subsisted on a part time teaching position at one school and odd jobs. This pays the bills but doesn't do much more than that (and no pay in August forcing me to sell my stuff). The only reason I got these jobs was desperation for part time teachers. In Japan if you don't make it through three years, you are considered damaged goods and pretty much rejected out of hand. So my ability to get another job is pretty much gone. I have a lawyer who is going to take the school and dispatch company to court. But that is next year and with outstanding taxes I face deportation again and if my current school gets wind of this action, they may drop me.

So that's the short short version.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,922.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wish I could say it sounds shocking. But it's pretty much a universal mechanism of exploitation of immigrants. I think I escaped the Russian version of it by being married to a Russian and going for permanent residency (which is so permanent I have to report in every year and renew every five years). I've been told that actually deporting me might take some effort, what with my wife and kids all being citizens, and me the chief provider for my family. How true that is, I don't know, and don't want to find out.

Today a lot of things are going to go down. I have a good basis for hope, but a lot of hurdles this Tuesday.

Lord, have mercy!
I hate that double-dealing. If I were king, temp service agencies (which you are calling dispatch service) would be outlawed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lord have mercy it sounds like you've been through the MILL!!!

Have you considered coming home to the States? Here in California there is a MASSIVE teacher shortage of staggering proportions. It's insane!! Sounds like Japan isn't meant to be. Why not come home, bro!!?

I'm a sixth grade teacher....19 years. I totally get politics. Every principal I've worked for with the exception of two have been shady, dishonest, political, manipulative goons. It's always adversarial. I just keep trucking and playing chess against them....

A little over two and a half years ago, I switched jobs to one full time elementary school. My prior job had burned me out something terrible. Had to make a move for my new job. After a month and a half, I discovered that the first place had some structural issues and construction was needed. So another move. This time things seemed fine but about five or six weeks later I wound up in the ER, my lungs on fire. Sick Building Syndrome. 2 weeks living in a car while I found a new place to live and another move. The SBS was the tip of the iceberg on that. Had to throw out a lot of my possessions as toxic black mold was found.

At work, things seemed to be fine until a month after my move, I got called into a meeting. The powers that be had decided that they didn't like my teaching style and I was being demoted from lead to assistant. That didn't go over well with me as I knew the curriculum the teacher complaining wanted to impose wasn't a good one as I had worked with two version's earlier. It also went over like a lead weighted balloon with the parents who saw their students go from loving English to complaining about it. So the school, having lost face, returned me back to being in charge but in January of last year handed me my walking papers along with a bunch of phony reasons.

I scrambled to find a new job and a dispatch company offered me a position at a Catholic girls high school. First year with the dispatch company then regular employment with the school This entailed another move to an entirely new area and a loss of deposit money from my prior place.

Come January, the dispatch company informed me I was being fired and the school didn't want me. More than a little confused, I talked to the school and they were interested and planning on bringing me on board as a regular teacher. We started negotiations and the dispatch company interjected itself and told them they can't negotiate with me. Something was foul about this and I poked around. At the time all I could come up with was that the contract wasn't correct and the dispatch company was violating the law. I tried to tell the school but they believed the company over me. Out of a job again.

Now the dispatch company's contract is about as black as they get. On the surface, it looks like a perfectly normal labor contract. But they took some huge and illegal liberties. To me, the school and immigration, they said I was a full time employee (this is required for my visa). To the tax office they said I was a company and to the pension and health insurance they said I was a part time employee working 18 hours (based on the number of teaching hours, not hours I worked). Thus I was grossly over taxed and denied benefits. Also Japanese law has a unique quirk. A triangle contract (what this company did) is illegal and as the school was my direct boss (the only time the dispatch company bossed me was to fire me), the school is my employer and thus my firing was illegal as was the negotiation interference.

After doing my research, I presented my information to several different parts of the government. The Labor Ministry couldn't do anything but give the dispatch company recommendations to fix things. The tax agency took my evidence of tax fraud and basically said we don't care, just pay us the money you owe (technically I should be getting $300 to $500 back due to over taxation, not paying an additional $1,800). Immigration was furious that I couldn't list my last employer clearly so I had to overstay my visa and reset it.

I have since subsisted on a part time teaching position at one school and odd jobs. This pays the bills but doesn't do much more than that (and no pay in August forcing me to sell my stuff). The only reason I got these jobs was desperation for part time teachers. In Japan if you don't make it through three years, you are considered damaged goods and pretty much rejected out of hand. So my ability to get another job is pretty much gone. I have a lawyer who is going to take the school and dispatch company to court. But that is next year and with outstanding taxes I face deportation again and if my current school gets wind of this action, they may drop me.

So that's the short short version.

Upvote 0

Hoankan

TAW Samurai
Feb 14, 2007
Gifu, Japan
✟28,136.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lord have mercy it sounds like you've been through the MILL!!!

Have you considered coming home to the States? Here in California there is a MASSIVE teacher shortage of staggering proportions. It's insane!! Sounds like Japan isn't meant to be. Why not come home, bro!!?

I'm a sixth grade teacher....19 years. I totally get politics. Every principal I've worked for with the exception of two have been shady, dishonest, political, manipulative goons. It's always adversarial. I just keep trucking and playing chess against them....

Sorry this has taken so long to reply to. It sort of hit a hard nerve. Like I said, that was the short short version. It gets a lot worse with the short version and the long version is really long.

I have been thinking about coming back. As I may face deportation in July, it's sort of mandatory that I look at the situation stateside. I honestly don't know what the teaching situation is like in the US.Common Core is something I haven't dealt with. How to go about getting a teaching job is another challenge, I seriously don't know anything about the teacher crunch. I'm also not sure if I want to continue with teaching. It leaves a lot of thought and depression.

@rusmeister; Temp agencies are the pits. They're actually lower in regards than a dispatch company under Japanese law. A temp company can't give you visa sponsorship. A dispatch company is suppose to make you full time which in Japan is huge as part timers are, if they are lucky, treated as second class citizens. Of course, the dispatch company wants to keep as much money as possible so they do a lot of bending of the law.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well the shortage is indeed a crisis and is very real. Common Core hysteria is silly overblown nonsense that is much ado about nothing.

When you come state-side, you'll need employment of some kind to survive while making possible career swaps. Teaching could be your day job. As the young folk say, "just sayin'"

Sorry this has taken so long to reply to. It sort of hit a hard nerve. Like I said, that was the short short version. It gets a lot worse with the short version and the long version is really long.

I have been thinking about coming back. As I may face deportation in July, it's sort of mandatory that I look at the situation stateside. I honestly don't know what the teaching situation is like in the US.Common Core is something I haven't dealt with. How to go about getting a teaching job is another challenge, I seriously don't know anything about the teacher crunch. I'm also not sure if I want to continue with teaching. It leaves a lot of thought and depression.

@rusmeister; Temp agencies are the pits. They're actually lower in regards than a dispatch company under Japanese law. A temp company can't give you visa sponsorship. A dispatch company is suppose to make you full time which in Japan is huge as part timers are, if they are lucky, treated as second class citizens. Of course, the dispatch company wants to keep as much money as possible so they do a lot of bending of the law.

Upvote 0

Hoankan

TAW Samurai
Feb 14, 2007
Gifu, Japan
✟28,136.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well the shortage is indeed a crisis and is very real. Common Core hysteria is silly overblown nonsense that is much ado about nothing.

When you come state-side, you'll need employment of some kind to survive while making possible career swaps. Teaching could be your day job. As the young folk say, "just sayin'"

As you say it is an idea. Any suggestions for how I can go about applying and where?

@rusmeister ; It would change my visa status greatly. Spousal visas are much more workable. However, given that I haven't been in a relationship in over 6 years, I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Upvote 0