Christ had nothing to with Christmas and its a pagan holiday?!? Nimrod related.

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm curious how Mithras can have a birthday when he wasn't born. I don't just mean he wasn't born in real space-time, but I mean his mythology. According to the mythology, he wasn't born, instead he emerged, fully formed, from solid rock.

-CryptoLutheran
Same way Jesus can have a birthday party" when birthday parties are based on the astrological significance of the day & hour of birth, & the same way angels celebrating can be construed as a "party".

Ya just need some imagination & a "holy" purpose like hijacking a pagan feast day.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The unintended consequences of merging Christian Holiday's with pagan archetypes 350 years and later after the birth of a historical Jesus, is that the old stain of paganism isn't going to wash out of the new and improved Theology of Christmas.
I totaly agree, accusations of "parallelomania" aside.

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are running away from the truth.

No, I am right here. However, I do understand the need or desire to interpret truth in the way that meshes best with one's presuppositions, as well as to support others who do the same. Standing Up no doubt thanks you for your service.

Rick Otto said:
Her whole post is an ad hom on Protestants, clumsy as an attempt it may be. Protestants are a mess interpreting scripture wrong because 'they refuse to admit that what they believe influences their interpretation'...

Here you are doing the exact same thing -- reconfiguring what was said so that it appears to be an "ad hom" rather than a valid critique of methodology. She is exactly right in that Protestants notoriously refuse to admit to interpretation, first of all, and secondly, to try separate interpretation from presuppositions, whether intentionally or not. It is a tactic that is not lost on those who have seen it in action and take note.

Rick Otto said:
Obviously the RCC/EO split took a back seat once the common enemy of Reformation arrived. But that neither resolves or excuses the schism.

You know very well that there have been many historical attempts to heal the schism. That they have been unsuccessful does not mean that you should ignore them having taken place in order to score rhetorical points.

Rick Otto said:
Attention is diverted from their own "mess" of different interpretations.

I understand, as well as others, I am sure, that you have chosen to accept which interpretations you would like to believe, and that they must by necessity appear as less of a mess than those that you reject.

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I totaly agree, accusations of "parallelomania" aside.

It is good that you have noticed Parallelomania in all of this, Rick. Now, does that mean that you have also noticed that Sandmel has a very good point, despite the fact that you must reject it out of necessity because you agree with the Christmas naysayers and their presuppositions concerning Roman Catholicism?

Upvote 0

Eph4:26

Nov 17, 2008
✟19,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The vigil mass at Christmas 2012 (In Saint Peter's basilica, the Vatican).

Vatican Radio - Player

Choose English as your Language (top right button) and then click the "Video on demand" tab shown in the image area to play.

--retracted--

I momentary got distracted from the off-topic post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
tasty SPAM :thumbsup:

I am surprised at you. You mean that you are not going to take it as the perfect opportunity to point out pointy Dagon hats, expensive vestments, and Asherah poles? :doh:

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The vigil mass at Christmas 2012 (In Saint Peter's basilica, the Vatican).

Vatican Radio - Player

Choose English as your Language (top right button) and then click the "Video on demand" tab shown in the image area to play.

I am surprised at you. You mean that you are not going to take it as the perfect opportunity to point out pointy Dagon hats, expensive vestments, and Asherah poles? :doh:

It is a very lovely mass. The last Christmas celebrated by Pope Benedict XVI as reigning Pope. I miss him in many ways, he was such a good teacher of the faith.

Yet, God has given to us Francis, and long may he reign in God's grace and for the betterment of the holy, catholic, and apostolic Church of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Have you read Pope Francis' encyclical? It is called LUMEN FIDEI - it may be read by clicking this ink.

May God keep and bless you brother Tzaousios.
-----
The light of Faith: this is how the Church’s tradition speaks of the great gift brought by Jesus. In John’s Gospel, Christ says of himself: "I have come as light into the world, that whoever believes in me may not remain in darkness" (Jn 12:46). Saint Paul uses the same image: "God who said ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ has shone in our hearts" (2 Cor 4:6). The pagan world, which hungered for light, had seen the growth of the cult of the sun god, Sol Invictus, invoked each day at sunrise. Yet though the sun was born anew each morning, it was clearly incapable of casting its light on all of human existence. The sun does not illumine all reality; its rays cannot penetrate to the shadow of death, the place where men’s eyes are closed to its light. "No one — Saint Justin Martyr writes — has ever been ready to die for his faith in the sun".[1] Conscious of the immense horizon which their faith opened before them, Christians invoked Jesus as the true sun "whose rays bestow life".[2] To Martha, weeping for the death of her brother Lazarus, Jesus said: "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?" (Jn 11:40). Those who believe, see; they see with a light that illumines their entire journey, for it comes from the risen Christ, the morning star which never sets.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The unintended consequences of merging Christian Holiday's with pagan archetypes 350 years and later after the birth of a historical Jesus, is that the old stain of paganism isn't going to wash out of the new and improved Theology of Christmas.

what pagan theology is in Christmas?

Upvote 0

Eph4:26

Nov 17, 2008
✟19,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
By definition, there is no such thing as a 'pagan theology'.

Theology (from Greek Θεός meaning "God" and λογία, -logy, meaning "study of") is the systematic and rational study of concepts of God and their influences and of the nature of religious truths, or the learned profession acquired by completing specialized training in religious studies, usually at a university or school of divinity or seminary.[1]

Theology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've come to define the theology of Christmas to be based on a combination of an oral tradition passed down from the previous generation; feelings of melancholy and euphoria; a faith in Christmas is right because an organized religious institute says so; and secular society accepts it.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I guess, tis the season for the war.:doh:I'd engage in this thread more but I'm too busy fashioning my Christmas pole.

I've been busy looking up recipes to bake a delicious Mithraic birthday cake. As is customary.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've been busy looking up recipes to bake a delicious Mithraic birthday cake. As is customary.

-CryptoLutheran

chuckle ;)

I think I'll leave the poll out and the cakes are good but easier to buy than to bake.

I reckon I'll stick with mass. some folk think that's pagan anyway :p

I wonder if they know that "mass" comes from a Latin word from which we get our English "Dismiss"?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if they know that "mass" comes from a Latin word from which we get our English "Dismiss"?

We all know that "mass" comes from the Egyptian-Babylonian word meaning "Nimrod is awesome", and something-or-other about sun disk wafers.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We all know that "mass" comes from the Egyptian-Babylonian word meaning "Nimrod is awesome", and something-or-other about sun disk wafers.

-CryptoLutheran

Many chuckles ;)

Ite missa est. Is the concluding phrase for the mass, it is from "missa" that we get the English word "mass".

The phrase means "The mass is ended".

Mind you, I am sure somebody will think that something fishy is going on and that somehow there is a reference to something pagan in those words :p

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Many chuckles ;)

Ite missa est. Is the concluding phrase for the mass, it is from "missa" that we get the English word "mass".

The phrase means "The mass is ended".

Mind you, I am sure somebody will think that something fishy is going on and that somehow there is a reference to something pagan in those words :p

Careful about using the word "fishy", pretty soon there'll be talk about "Dagon fish hats".

Interestingly, Lutherans never seemed to shy away from using the word Mass, indeed the Augustana affirms explicitly that we have not done away with the Mass and that we, indeed, keep it. Though the use of the term "Divine Service" is also used.

I don't particularly understand the obsession of "Hislopian" sorts. The natural conclusion of Hislop's methodology seems to be Jesus Mythism. Though I doubt it ever becomes that for many, it always seems to stop short of questioning one's own sect's traditions.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Careful about using the word "fishy", pretty soon there'll be talk about "Dagon fish hats".

Interestingly, Lutherans never seemed to shy away from using the word Mass, indeed the Augustana affirms explicitly that we have not done away with the Mass and that we, indeed, keep it. Though the use of the term "Divine Service" is also used.

I don't particularly understand the obsession of "Hislopian" sorts. The natural conclusion of Hislop's methodology seems to be Jesus Mythism. Though I doubt it ever becomes that for many, it always seems to stop short of questioning one's own sect's traditions.

-CryptoLutheran

Of course, what fun is there in picking your own scabs ... unless one has some kind of emotional/behavioural condition.

Upvote 0