• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Christ and Culture

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by mathinspiration, Apr 15, 2019.

1. mathinspiration

mathinspiration Member

+64
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    Was Christ against or for Culture?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. tampasteve

tampasteve Messianic and Lutheran Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,872
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Messiah Jesus was against corrupt and/or hedonistic culture, but he was the embodiment of the "good Jewish believer" as he perfectly lived by the Law, he participated in culture and the Jewish life - he did not live the life of a hermit or ascetic.

3. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+8,052
    Anabaptist
    In His Word it is written "ALL SOCIETY is PERNICIOUS" (death dealing)

4. R. Genevieve

R. Genevieve New Member

+93
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The phrasing here is a little bit vague. Could you explain what you mean by this question?

If you don't mind my asking, where is that verse found?

5. yeshuaslavejeff

+8,052
    Anabaptist
    Galatians, (VERY emphatically explained also in study by WUEST (Expanded Greek),
    and confirmed by Ephesians and the Apocalypse and he rest of Scripture.)

6. tampasteve

tampasteve Messianic and Lutheran Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+1,872
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Can you be more specific? Jesus lived in the culture, participated in the culture (Temple worship, festivities and festivals, weddings, etc.), saying "the rest of Scripture" is much to vague, IMO.

7. yeshuaslavejeff

+8,052
    Anabaptist
    It appears as if your ideas of culture are very very different than

Yahuweh's revelation all through His Word. I don't have a clue how being more specific would
    be of any help.

Perhaps look up Wuest's study on Galatians, key word pernicious,
    in pdf format online free

(I loved it simply , but it is a long and difficult read for most people) ....

to shorten the reading there-of, search in the pdf for "pernicious" and read the preceding couple pages and the pages after.

Few people care to, and fewer people are ready to. Only those who love God and seek

the truth, those to whom God grants it, are able to 'see' it.

8. tampasteve

+1,872
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    So agree to disagree based on interpretation of scripture? I am OK with that. But please do not accuse me of having a different idea of culture than God or how I believe He views culture. It really is undeniable that Jesus was participating in the culture of the time. But no, I am not going to wade through Wuest's commentary on Galatians. His is not an opinion I tend to value from what I have read.