Florida
✟324,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
are the christian bible scriptures considered to be written by biblical authors or...only by one author meaning written by God Himself? what is the more appropriate answer? thanks in advance. i just wanna know details on that front.

We say that the bible is "the word of God in the words of men". The bible was not written by the finger of God, but was written by holy men guided by the Holy Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
i have another question since i don't want to open a whole new thread for it. is there anything i could know if there is any other information the prophets of the bible wanted us to understand that the bible's analyzation not already uncovered that we know already the prohpets wanted us to understand? do people debate that kind of stuff? when christians say 'it's all for god,' how can they still salute and recognize other figures without contradicting themselves? or do christians even say that?...i don't know. heh, just asking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
are the christian bible scriptures considered to be written by biblical authors or...only by one author meaning written by God Himself? what is the more appropriate answer? thanks in advance. i just wanna know details on that front.
Are you asking a theological question or a bibliographical one? In terms of library card catalogs I don't think you look under author: God. I believe Bibles are normally associated with the publisher.

Theologically, this is one of the major differences between the major branches. Conservative Protestants consider God the author; mainline Christians consider the author of each book to be the author. Basically conservative Protestants consider the Bible to be the Word of God directly, while mainline Protestants consider the human authors to be witnesses to Gods acts, and the Bible to be their testimony.

I'm not the best person to speak for Catholics, but I believe they consider the Bible to be in some sense a creation of the Church. However modern Catholic scholarship would tend to be closer to mainline Protestants in terms of whether the Bible is a human witness to God's acts or God's revelation on its own.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Are you asking a theological question or a bibliographical one? In terms of library card catalogs I don't think you look under author: God. I believe Bibles are normally associated with the publisher.

Theologically, this is one of the major differences between the major branches. Conservative Protestants consider God the author; mainline Christians consider the author of each book to be the author. Basically conservative Protestants consider the Bible to be the Word of God directly, while mainline Protestants consider the human authors to be witnesses to Gods acts, and the Bible to be their testimony.

I'm not the best person to speak for Catholics, but I believe they consider the Bible to be in some sense a creation of the Church. However modern Catholic scholarship would tend to be closer to mainline Protestants in terms of whether the Bible is a human witness to God's acts or God's revelation on its own.
well, you answered my question then i guess. anyone care to answer my questions from my second post?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
when christians say 'it's all for god,' how can they still salute and recognize other figures without contradicting themselves? or do christians even say that?...i don't know. heh, just asking.
That's a good question. Like the first, Christians don't entirely agree.

The situation in the Old Testament and New Testament is different, because in the OT authorities followed God, but in the NT the authorities of the day didn't follow Jesus. But in both the OT and the NT people were expected to obey the State and other leaders. However there are limits. There are things no authority can tell you to do, because it violates God's teaching.

So most Christians think respect for leaders, such as saluting a military commander, is OK, but only as long as you are careful not to follow them if they give immoral orders. Some Christians, e.g. in Nazi Germany, took this too far. They obeyed even a very evil government. How do you know when the government is evil? Not all Christians will agree. If you treat a government like God, then things like flags can become idols.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Speaking from what I regard as an historic Christian perspective, and with additional attention to biblical scholarship:

Multiple human authors. We take it, on faith, that there is--as St. Augustine said--only one Utterance in Scripture, the Word of God Himself, Jesus Christ; but the books which make up the Canon of Scripture are the product of many different authors. In some cases certain books having multiple authors and/or redactors.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Jane_the_Bane
Upvote 0