Murica
✟57,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for making an example of yourself, proving the point I made earlier. You don't care about alleviating problems. You only care about punishing them when they happen.

Not at all, you have no idea who and what I care about. What I am saying is these problems have always and will always be with us until the theocracy happens. We cannot fix these problems. It’s a problem with the heart. Sorry but I’ve met Jesus and know he will be back to fix everything. I have zero faith in man.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The people inhabiting CHOP seem to be more anarchists than from any particular political party.
Do you then agree that they should be forcibly removed?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not at all, you have no idea who and what I care about.

I do, actually, because you're about to illustrate it right here,

What I am saying is these problems have always and will always be with us until the theocracy happens. We cannot fix these problems. It’s a problem with the heart. Sorry but I’ve met Jesus and know he will be back to fix everything. I have zero faith in man.

This is exactly the worldview I was talking about. You think solutions to problems which have demonstrable, tangible results, are a waste of time unless they perfectly "fix" the problem. Your "answer" to the problem is to wait around for it to be solved by a supernatural act of magic, and in the meantime, make the problem worse by feebly hacking at the twigs rather than the root.

So, no. You don't get to tell me I'm wrong when I accuse you of not actually caring about these problems. You don't. If you did, you would be interested in helping to make them happen less often, which is demonstrably possible, and within our reach any time we want it. But you're not. You're interested in utterly vacuous moralizing.

Thank you, again, for making an example of yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Do you then agree that they should be forcibly removed?

Their political affiliation or lack thereof really has no bearing on that question.

It must be a tremendous headache for the city leaders. But I think 'forcibly removing' them would lead to a bad outcome. Now that a lot of activist groups have become jaded, I think the city should help those groups dialogue with the people who are left and get them to 'self-deport', until there's not enough critical mass left and the city can move in relatively safely.

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Their political affiliation or lack thereof really has no bearing on that question.

It must be a tremendous headache for the city leaders. But I think 'forcibly removing' them would lead to a bad outcome. Now that a lot of activist groups have become jaded, I think the city should help those groups dialogue with the people who are left and get them to 'self-deport', until there's not enough critical mass left and the city can move in relatively safely.

I agree. A lot of the people who were there from the start are long gone, including the friends I had there. The only thing a forcible removal will result in is further radicalizing people, and further damaging a trust that's already in tatters.

I suspect for the people still there, it's feels like a no win, point of no return situation. If they stay, there's risk of further violence. If they leave, they'll feel like it was all for nothing. I think a lot of careful dialogue is the best way out.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It’s true though. These people will never be happy until they find Jesus or until he returns. You could meet every demand they want and they will still be angry and unhappy because they are not at peace with themselves. Sinful lifestyle leads to unhappiness.
Yeah, that’s not true. By Christian standards I’m a sinner.

But I’m quite happy with my life. I’ve often thought I have led a charmed life because most things have been easy for me.

How do you rationalise that with your assertion?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Your "answer" to the problem is to wait around for it to be solved by a supernatural act of magic, and it the meantime, make the problem worse by feebly hacking at the twigs rather than the root.
The reason for this I surmise it that if those problems where solved there would be less of a claim for people needing Jesus in their lives.

Like Mother Teresa who thought being destitute brought you closer to God and made (shall we say) sub optimal use of the many millions donated in her name.

Reduce the suffering you get less God. I surmise this is why less religious countries generally have less deprivation and autocracy.

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The reason for this I surmise it that if those problems where solved there would be less of a claim for people needing Jesus in their lives.

Like Mother Teresa who thought being destitute brought you closer to God and made (shall we say) sub optimal use of the many millions donated in her name.

Reduce the suffering you get less God. I surmise this is why less religious countries generally have less deprivation and autocracy.

Yes to all that, but I want to be careful to not ascribe this kind of thinking to any one religious affiliation, or any kind of affiliation. I agree that it snuggles up very comfortably with Christianity, but this whole worldview of “reasons for human suffering aren’t problems to be lessened, just moralized about and punished” is much bigger and more insidious than just that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mantishand

May 31, 2018
Murica
✟57,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that’s not true. By Christian standards I’m a sinner.

But I’m quite happy with my life. I’ve often thought I have led a charmed life because most things have been easy for me.

How do you rationalise that with your assertion?

You are spiritually dead. No one is truly happy in this world. You may be temporarily satisfied but things change. Life happens and it can change in an instant. And without God you will be utterly helpless and hopeless when the big storms comes in your life. And they will come I guarantee it.

These people don’t have God. They are angry and unsatisfied with their circumstances in life yet instead of turning to God they take hostage six blocks of Seattle like they own it.

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You are spiritually dead. No one is truly happy in this world. You may be temporarily satisfied but things change. Life happens and it can change in an instant. And without God you will be utterly helpless and hopeless when the big storms comes in your life. And they will come I guarantee it.

How utterly condescending and short-sighted of you to assume someone hasn't already faced hard times in their life, just because they don't share your misanthropic worldview.

Thank you, again, for continuing to make an example of yourself.

Think what you wish, no worries.

You're confused. I predicate my position on facts. You predicate yours on wishful thinking, and naked assertions.

Good day.

Shazbot. Nanu nanu.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eight Foot Manchild

Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
And without God you will be utterly helpless and hopeless when the big storms comes in your life.
Would my dad dying two months ago count as a big storm? I was not utterly helpless and hopeless. It was tough but these things happen when one is my age.

I got through that without Jesus. Without any recourse to the spiritual. I had support from my friends and family.

Today has been a good day: I’ve laughed with friends, family and work mates. I’m having a nice hot bath, listing to a book and typing this out.

I certainly have no fear of your doomsaying.

So I ask again. How do you explain my happiness without Jesus?

Upvote 0

Mantishand

May 31, 2018
Murica
✟57,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would my dad dying two months ago count as a big storm? I was not utterly helpless and hopeless. It was tough but these things happen when one is my age.

I got through that without Jesus. Without any recourse to the spiritual. I had support from my friends and family.

Today has been a good day: I’ve laughed with friends, family and work mates. I’m having a nice hot bath, listing to a book and typing this out.

I certainly have no fear of your doomsaying.

So I ask again. How do you explain my happiness without Jesus?

I will pray for you as well. God bless.

Upvote 0