Choosing Christianity (after a long research of other religions)

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟134,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm. So how does your church focus on that in ways that others might not? Whats an example?
Well, let's say that you constantly arguing with a family member. Many churches would turn it into the week's gossip, but mine does not (though sadly we aren't perfect and do slip on occasion). In the Orthodox Church we have confession in which you confess your sins to God in the presence of a priest who is bound not to repeat or judge what you say (unless you give permission).

So, you have a problem with a family member than you confess it and when it is evident that it is a problem causing great spiritual harm to both you and the other relative than the priest can mediate between the to provided they both agree to it. He can also have you both do something in order to help heal the soul. I had a huge problem with the other cooks I work with, I went to confession about it and my priest said for me to read a book about a Russian Orthodox priest who survived thirty years in a Communist gulag and his life afterward. It really helped to change me for the better.

The difference between confession and psychology is simple: psychology speaks to the mind whereas confession speaks to the mind, body and soul; and therefore begins to fix things at the root. Why just add spice to a pizza when the real problem is the dough?

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
lew_wallace.jpg

I heard Gen. Lew Wallace was an atheist till he got into a conversation with another atheist who was so bigoted towards Christianity that he found himself defending it and he then converted

Lew Wallace is famous for writing the book Ben Hur
ben-hur-chariot-race.jpg

Chariot: 4hp

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟10,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amazing how you can get one part so right, and still come away with such a wrong conclusion:

_I_ came away with no conclusion whatever!

That was a direct quote from the Baha'i scriptures, not anything related to an opinion of mine.

As a Bah'ai, aren't you supposed to have at least a rudimentary understanding of the Bible? You don't! The Messiah needing to be put to a gruesome death is the oldest Prophecy, and repeated more often than anything else except Judgment Day.

My point holds: Had He been recognized and obeyed, they wouldn't then have killed Him.

There are at least two such killings of Divine Messengers we're sure of, plus several attempts on the life of at least one other!

Peace,

Bruce

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟10,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Bruce, I have already gone through my days of spiritual anarchy and therefore have no interest in the Bahai Faith.

Fine! Then walk away and don't reply.

And BTW, please note that the Baha'i Faith is the farthest thing possible from "anarchy!"--spiritual or otherwise!

Peace,

Bruce

Upvote 0

Livindesert

Jun 21, 2005
✟2,834.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And BTW, please note that the Baha'i Faith is the farthest thing possible from "anarchy!"--spiritual or otherwise!

Peace,

Bruce

Easy Bruce tone it down a bit you are coming off sounding a bit harsh :hrelax:

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Not backed by Baha'i responses. The amount of times one disparate thing is used to 'prove' another is shocking.

I'm still hoping Baha'i will back up their claims with evidence regarding John the Baptist being more known than Jesus (in that time), and that Communism would have destroyed Baha'i in Romania.

I know this is from a different thread, and a while back, but it's just two examples of confused argument that Baha'i demonstrate

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Easy Livindesert tone it down a bit you are coming off sounding a bit harsh

Unfortunately he's one who made statements that don't make sense too!

When he wasn't Baha'i and he expressed that anyone who understood that faith would be Baha'i was negated by the very fact he wasn't at that time Baha'i (at least he'd not claimed to be yet)

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟10,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm still hoping Baha'i will back up their claims with evidence regarding John the Baptist being more known than Jesus (in that time), and that Communism would have destroyed Baha'i in Romania.

I have never made--or even HEARD OF--EITHER of these claims!

So I have nothing to "back up."

Not that this seems to prevent YOU from posting random put-downs, it seems . . .

(Why am I not surprised?) :-(

Bruce

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟134,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm merely stating facts, Livin, and not asking anybody to believe anything!

And I'm not the one who was equating the Faith to "spiritual anarchy."

Peace,

Bruce
It appears as if you misunderstood the post...

It was basically the best way I could say that I'm not interested in the Bahai Faith since I've already gone through my phase in life of serious religious pondering; which, I like to call my days of "spiritual anarchy".

Sorry, but it is a bit annoying when every other post gets nothing but "look into this further" considering that had I seen that six years ago when I was in the hayday of my spiritual anarchy I would have been a bit more open to proselytism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have never made--or even HEARD OF--EITHER of these claims!

So I have nothing to "back up."

Not that this seems to prevent YOU from posting random put-downs, it seems . . .
Whilst you personally have missed these, you missed four Baha'i defending these things.

And it was not a comment on you, but the Baha'i I see here in general. But I accept that what you don't know about you would be lead to think that way! You could have asked for more information though ;)

The Baha'i Queen thread had this
http://www.christianforums.com/t7502768/

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
At least I posted the cutest troll I could find.
It doesn't negate your dishonesty. You've made a number of points that I've taken you to task over. And you just leave them.

You supported a position about the nature of Baha'i that at the time you negated by not being Baha'i

Baha'i came in to argue in support of the assertion that John the Baptist was more known in his time than Jesus

Baha'i came in to support the claim that under communism Romania would have stamped out Baha'i

You have a pattern of making argument that you cannot support.

And you call me a troll!

I'm not the one entering threads to make illogical statements and then getting in a huff and leaving.

And let's not leave out the Baha'i circular logic about a prophet's own interpretation of scripture pointing to him as prophet

Nor that you guys use the analogy of a manifestation being like a perfect mirror reflecting the sun.

There's just so many arguments Baha'i make here that aren't sustained by logic.

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟10,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(I will stipulate that I may not have understood what exactly you were trying to say; hence my former reply.)

[W]hen I was in the hayday of my spiritual anarchy I would have been a bit more open to proselytism.

Not particularly relevant given that we're explcitly forbidden from proselytizing!

All we endeavor to do is encourage people to look into the Faith and answer any questions thay may raise!

What they then do or don't do with the information is strictly their business, not ours!

Peace, :)

Bruce

Upvote 0

DreamOutLoud

'The Goal Is Soul'
Oct 8, 2010
✟7,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And the idea that a MERCIFUL and LOVING God would send his children to basically roast in an open fire for all eternity because they were bad isn't flawed logic? Let a human father do that to his children, and he'll be locked up for the rest of his life or receive the death penalty.

.:doh:
Don't tell me that you're convinced that every Christian believes that there are fire and roasts to torture the condemned. We have the 21st century now, not Middle Ages anymore.
Hell is more a choice than a punishment. "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." (John 17:3) -> God has given people free will and He can't force nobody to be with Him in Heaven if people hadn't wanted Him in their worldry life.

Upvote 0