United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mcdonalds-self-serve-kiosks-source-zivelo.jpg

They don't cost 15.00 and hour - want to guess why they are rolling them out?

One person does the job of what took six before:

o.jpg

Do you really think it will not cost jobs in the long run?
Did Walmart and McDonald's raise their wages to a living-wages?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did Walmart and McDonald's raise their wages to a living-wages?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/18/wal...5000-workers-to-average-above-15-an-hour.html

Walmart to hike wages for 425,000 workers to average above $15 an hour
McDonald’s raises minimum pay at corporate locations as workers in 15 cities plan strikes for $15 hourly wage

McDonald’s raises minimum pay at corporate locations as workers in 15 cities plan strikes for $15 hourly wage
As a matter of fact - yes they did. Shortly before the self service kiosks came out.

Who'da thunk it?!

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did Walmart and McDonald's raise their wages to a living-wages

What do you consider a 'living wage'?

In NYC or Los Angeles it's a whole lot different than in say - Dallas Tx.

15/hr - full time is 2,000 hours a year = 30,000 a year

To match the 30,000 a year in Dallas

Capture.JPG

Minimum wage would have to be 21.35 and hour.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you consider a 'living wage'?

In NYC or Los Angeles it's a whole lot different than in say - Dallas Tx.

15/hr - full time is 2,000 hours a year = 30,000 a year

To match the 30,000 a year in Dallas

View attachment 300445

Minimum wage would have to be 21.35 and hour.
I agree, saying a living wage means little.

• Friendly
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/18/wal...5000-workers-to-average-above-15-an-hour.html

Walmart to hike wages for 425,000 workers to average above $15 an hour
Walmart has had self-service checkout for many years.

Walmart said its minimum starting wage for workers will remain at $11 an hour.
Walmart employees who get pay increases, however, will no longer qualify for quarterly bonuses.

Wow, they are so generous.

The company announced on Thursday that hourly wages for employees at company-owned locations would rise to $11 to $17, and starting wages for shift managers will be raised to at least $15 to $20 per hour, based on restaurant location.

All company-owned restaurants will average $15 an hour wages by 2024, the company announced.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And that's why prices have doubled.

A four percent raise is not "doubled."

One of the problems we have in America is we've not done a very good job of teaching people to think in a practical way about math.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The company announced on Thursday that hourly wages for employees at company-owned locations would rise to $11 to $17, and starting wages for shift managers will be raised to at least $15 to $20 per hour, based on restaurant location.

All company-owned restaurants will average $15 an hour wages by 2024, the company announced.

That's sensible, given the cost of living varies across the country.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Wait - have a little patience - let's look again in six months and see:

- increase in prices
- decrease in employee hours
- less full time positions available
- more automation eliminating min wage positions.

Yes it is a sufficient argument when looking at all the moving parts. Remember Chipotle is a Corporation which raised it's prices, but the stores are franchises.

In May, Chipotle said that it would raise hourly wages for its restaurant workers to reach an average of $15 an hour by the end of June. Company executives said at the Baird Global Consumer, Technology & Services Conference that they would be passing along the price of raising pay to consumers.
The Corporation sets standards, but the Corporation does not pay the store employees - the franchise does. (Franchise owners are small business men and woman.) The costs of running the business includes fix expenses - rent/mortgage - franchise fees - etc. Then there are what is called 'controllable'. The big three are Labor - food costs - utilities.

Food cost can only be controlled by limiting waste - because they can only buy from the Corporation.

Utilities - you have to balance comfort vs peak seasons. Many franchise owners lock these controls.

Payroll - total labor - (wages, taxes, benefits) to be successful, this needs to be in the 15% range.

Adding 4% to the retail cost is somewhat helpful, but if your labor goes up 40-60%, you have to cut costs other places.

Yes, it's only 4% - the cost in jobs will be higher.

Ever wonder why these are popping up all over?

mcdonalds-kiosks.jpg

They are cheaper than the employees they replaced.

Let me get this straight .. as a republican and conservatives you don’t want government to set the minimum wages to $15. I can see your point, I, myself a conservatives can agree that government should not dictate all these to business. But as a conservatives why are you complaining if business make the decision to raise minimum wages on their own? If they raise the price, they have to compete with other business and if they can’t compete they will go out of business-That is call capitalism! Are you against capitalism now ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
But as a conservatives why are you complaining if business make the decision to raise minimum wages on their own?

The way it was explained to me was that people would know that they had done it, and many of them would prefer to eat at places that pay a decent wage. This would amount to a liability against restaurants that don't pay decent wages and another cancel culture issue.

Doesn't make much sense to me. I guess they want affirmative action for cheapskate employers or something...

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But as a conservatives why are you complaining if business make the decision to raise minimum wages on their own?

Here is the issue - I don't for a minute believe they are doing it "on their own", but capitulating to pressure. That is what a good conservative would have issue with.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here is the issue - I don't for a minute believe they are doing it "on their own", but capitulating to pressure. That is what a good conservative would have issue with.

In a competitive economic world if you can’t take pressure then you shouldn’t be doing business – that is capitalism. Do you have issue with that too?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Chipotle is heading further into the 21st century with the new drive-thrus. For the most part, they operate like normal ones, but with a mobile twist.

What if you could order your food through an app on the phone and then just drive to pick it up? Without stepping into the store? What if you could just drive through the drive-thru and pick up a pre-ordered meal? Well, that’s exactly what Chipotle is bringing.

You’ll be able to place your order on your mobile or online and then head straight out. Fancy tacos and burritos when you’re on your way home from the kids’ baseball games? No worries! Order it while you’re on the way there and then head over on the way home! You’ll get a time to pick it up, so you can make sure you plan everything well enough to do all your errands.​

Do you think they will be paying the mobile app 15 an hour? How many positions does that eliminate?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a competitive economic world if you can’t take pressure then you shouldn’t be doing business – that is capitalism. Do you have issue with that too?

Can you give me a GPS coordinate on where the goal posts will be after I answer this one?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Chipotle is heading further into the 21st century with the new drive-thrus. For the most part, they operate like normal ones, but with a mobile twist.

What if you could order your food through an app on the phone and then just drive to pick it up? Without stepping into the store? What if you could just drive through the drive-thru and pick up a pre-ordered meal? Well, that’s exactly what Chipotle is bringing.

You’ll be able to place your order on your mobile or online and then head straight out. Fancy tacos and burritos when you’re on your way home from the kids’ baseball games? No worries! Order it while you’re on the way there and then head over on the way home! You’ll get a time to pick it up, so you can make sure you plan everything well enough to do all your errands.
Do you think they will be paying the mobile app 15 an hour? How many positions does that eliminate?

Life is like that. But I'm not sure what that means to most employees. Unless the app can prep the food, assemble it to order, and package it up, I don't think it's going to replace employees. Other than cleaning tables, I don't see much in the way of wages saved.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Life is like that. But I'm not sure what that means to most employees. Unless the app can prep the food, assemble it to order, and package it up, I don't think it's going to replace employees. Other than cleaning tables, I don't see much in the way of wages saved.

Are you missing the order taker, cashiers. Those employees replaced by the app?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you missing the order taker, cashiers. Those employees replaced by the app?

But I'm not missing the coders, program managers, and others who maintain the system, who have jobs only because of the app.

If you're unhappy about technology, you're not alone. But that's how employment is changing now. It's not Chipotle who's responsible.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I'm not missing the coders, program managers, and others who maintain the system, who have jobs only because of the app.

well that certainly makes up for the loss of jobs at the lowest level.

Upvote 0