Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
If you're not familiar with Animal Farm it would take a small essay to explain.

Basically it's about the leaders (the pigs) in a worker's democracy (Animal Farm) turning on the workers (the animals). This is subtly justified by a rewriting of the Farm's revolutionary manifesto. Adding "but some are more equal than others" is part of the rewrite.
OB

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,882.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If you're not familiar with Animal Farm it would take a small essay to explain.

Basically it's about the leaders (the pigs) in a worker's democracy (Animal Farm) turning on the workers (the animals). This is subtly justified by a rewriting of the Farm's revolutionary manifesto. Adding "but some are more equal than others" is part of the rewrite.
OB
Yes, I own a copy of the book. What does it have to do with the OP, and also, what does the OP have to do with?

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,047.00
Faith
Christian
Actually, almost every communist country has at one time or another had a crackdown on its own working class when they protest, often bringing in the army to suppress dissent. East Germany did it, Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Romania and Russia all did as well, to name a few.

That's what used to make all the rubbish about being "for the working class" so amusing

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, I own a copy of the book. What does it have to do with the OP, and also, what does the OP have to do with?

Animal Farm is a satire on Communism. In this case we're seeing the irony of a Communist leadership cracking down on Marxist students who are defending workers. They (the leaders) have become 'more equal'.

This line from the OP
I was tempted to start a poll see how many right wing conservative Americans think it's a good idea.
brings in the idea that, perversely, the American right could support the Chinese leadership in its crackdown on Marxists based on the concept of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

OB (ended up writing an essay after all):(

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,882.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Animal Farm is a satire on Communism. In this case we're seeing the irony of a Communist leadership cracking down on Marxist students who are defending workers. They (the leaders) have become 'more equal'.
That's nothing new. The Left traditionally eats itself.
This line from the OP

brings in the idea that, perversely, the American right could support the Chinese leadership in its crackdown on Marxists based on the concept of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

OB (ended up writing an essay after all):(
Um, "brings in the idea"? Makes up the idea? :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
China is cracking down on left wing "Marxist" activists
China has also gotten the approval of the Vatican to pick it's own Catholic bishops for the Chinese Catholics. That doesn't sound very communist.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
That's nothing new. The Left traditionally eats itself.
The 'whoosh' you just heard was the point going right over your head.
Um, "brings in the idea"? Makes up the idea? :scratch:
It's humour Chesterton. Perhaps not a Slapstick or a Pratfall or a Pie in the Face - but still humour.
OB

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,882.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The 'whoosh' you just heard was the point going right over your head.
I heard no "whoosh". I heard crickets. I'll give you a second chance to explain it to me.
It's humour Chesterton. Perhaps not a Slapstick or a Pratfall or a Pie in the Face - but still humour.
Explain. :| I promise I won't be insulted that you have to explain the joke to me.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,740.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I heard no "whoosh". I heard crickets. I'll give you a second chance to explain it to me.

Explain. :| I promise I won't be insulted that you have to explain the joke to me.
Now you're just playing dumb Chesty. I'm sure you're more than capable of figuring it out for yourself.
OB

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,882.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Now you're just playing dumb Chesty. I'm sure you're more than capable of figuring it out for yourself.
OB
No, I'm really, actually dumb. Please help me out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,047.00
Faith
Christian
China has also gotten the approval of the Vatican to pick it's own Catholic bishops for the Chinese Catholics. That doesn't sound very communist.

Oh it is - those "bishops" will no doubt have been recruited by the communist party in order to keep local churches in line and report back on members who are not toeing the party line.

China has had "official" churches doing the same for decades

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Oh it is - those "bishops" will no doubt have been recruited by the communist party in order to keep local churches in line and report back on members who are not toeing the party line.

China has had "official" churches doing the same for decades
No doubt those bishops won't be very Christian, but the old old days Communists were more straight up in their atheism.

Upvote 0