Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I live in singapore, studied in canada, had worked in Japan, and keep myself informed of global politics.

Why not compare Hong Kong violent protests against the peaceful South korean Candlelight revolution of 2017? Back then, millions of south koreans protest against ex-president Park for 2 months, it was totally peaceful, no destruction of properties and subway stations, and no attacks on policemen. And they achieved their goal.

I can say that many western media especially tend to be prejudiced against China. They won't broadcast some of the worst violence of the Hong kong protesters. I have seen clips where they attacked an old man who tried to reason with them. There were more victims.

In the larger picture, I really don't think china is trying to dominate other countries either. Instead, it is trying to bring her economy to the next level in order to grow and sustain herself. To do so, her neighbors in Central Asia must develop too in order to buy from China in the years ahead. Presently, China offers loans to help central asia build roads and rails to facilitate transportation of goods across the land, all the way to Europe. The plan is as trade increases, the various economies will develop with China.

Some countries , however, are accusing China of using soft loans to tie down her neighbors and seek control over them. Well, if the accusers think so, then let them offer loans to help central Asia. China will not accuse them of domination. However, if they can't because it is not in their interests, or if they don't have much to offer, does it
mean that Central Asia has to remain stagnant?

In the early 90s, when Asia's economy (singapore, malaysia, vietnam, thailand, Indonesia, china) was moving to the next level, the EU tried to impose human rights and minimal wages on Asian countries. It was out of fear of competition. Now, China is having the same accusations thrown at them too.

Let me reverse the question : Does USA seek domination? I would say yes, she does so in the name of democracy. She considers herself a benign power, but she has been clumsy along the way and even creating animosity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

roman2819

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So roman2819 is comfortable in Singapore - good. I wonder if that would be true if roman lived in China? Let us know how you are faring in China when you move. What? You have no plans to move to China? What a surprise.

Your statements imply that life in China would be oppressive. That isn't true at all. Although there are less liberty and press freedom, however, the Chinese go about their lives happily enough. Millions of international tourists can see that.

In Asia, most countries have relatively less individual freedom than USA. However, in this part of the world, the emphasis is on collective good. Generally, people don't feel oppressed. There are pockets of problems here and there, of course, but this happens everywhere including africa, Australia or Europe.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Your statements imply that life in China would be oppressive. That isn't true at all. Although there are less liberty and press freed9m, however, the Chinese go about their lives happily enough. Millions of international tourists see thar.

Having visited China many times I would have to agree.

I have never heard any complaints from my Chinese relatives about oppression or lack of liberty.

Not too keen on the KFCs over there though, have they never heard of barbecue sauce? :scratch:

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I live in singapore, studied in canada, had worked in Japan, and keep myself informed of global politics.

Why not compare Hong Kong violent protests against the peaceful South korean Candlelight revolution of 2017? Back then, millions of south koreans protest against ex-president Park for 2 months, it was totally peaceful, no destruction of properties and subway stations, and no attacks on policemen. And they achieved their goal.

I can say that many western media especially tend to be prejudiced against China. They won't broadcast some of the worst violence of the Hong kong protesters. I have seen clips where they attacked an old man who tried to reason with them. There were more victims.

In the larger picture, I really don't think china is trying to dominate other countries either. Instead, it is trying to bring her economy to the next level in order to grow and sustain herself. To do so, her neighbors in Central Asia must develop too in order to buy from China in the years ahead. Presently, China offers loans to help central asia build roads and rails to facilitate transportation of goods across the land, all the way to Europe. The plan is as trade increases, the various economies will develop with China.

Some countries , however, are accusing China of using soft loans to tie down her neighbors and seek control over them. Well, if the accusers think so, then let them offer loans to help central Asia. China will not accuse them of domination. However, if they can't because it is not in their interests, or if they don't have much to offer, does it
mean that Central Asia has to remain stagnant?

In the early 90s, when Asia's economy (singapore, malaysia, vietnam, thailand, Indonesia, china) was moving to the next level, the EU tried to impose human rights and minimal wages on Asian countries. It was out of fear of competition. Now, China is having the same accusations thrown at them too.

Let me reverse the question : Does USA seek domination? I would say yes, she does so in the name of democracy. She considers herself a benign power, but she has been clumsy along the way and even creating animosity.
I dont trust that all the bad protesters are actually protesters. Maybe they are. Maybe they arent. Either way, Beijing would love for the discussion to be about protester behavior rather than about larger enduring issues.

And I'm sympathetic with people who fear one party rule under an effective president-for-life.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Bodhicitta

Site Supporter
Oct 8, 2019
California
✟106,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
It is one thing to not have the world be too much with us, it is another to ignore or gloss over the evils of the Chinese government. Suggest reading the Hundred-Year Marathon by Pillsbury and the new Stealth War: How China Took Over, by Spalding, or dipping into this site:

https://presentdangerchina.org

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0