China Assigns Every Citizen A ‘Social Credit Score’ To Identify Who Is And Isn’t Trustworthy

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Thought this an interesting but not surprising development.

BEIJING (CBSNewYork) — China is rolling out a high-tech plan to give all of its 1.4 billion citizens a personal score, based on how they behave.

But there are consequences if a score gets too low, and for some that’s cause for concern, CBS2’s Ben Tracy reported Tuesday.

More: China Assigns Every Citizen A 'Social Credit Score' To Identify Who Is And Isn't Trustworthy

Can we adapt this for use on CF? ;)
OB

Upvote 0

seventysevens

Feb 27, 2017
USA
✟38,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ever see that TV show "Person of Interest"
There really is a AI computer system,just like it that monitors everyone everywhere using facial recognition software that takes pics of people thousands of times a day , and this trend is growing quickly

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
This is a scary development.

Scary? Not really.

Many (most?) of us living in Western developed countries are already subject to a centrally controlled systematic measurement of our individual reliability and trustworthiness.

It's called a Credit Rating.
OB

Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Scary? Not really.

Many (most?) of us living in Western developed countries are already subject to a centrally controlled systematic measurement of our individual reliability and trustworthiness.

OB

Yay for me, I guess. I managed to avoid credit for all of these years.

I suppose you're right though. No one could tell if I was trustworthy or not. :D

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

I suppose you're right though. No one could tell if I was trustworthy or not. :D

Actually, not having a credit history can work against you since you have no way of demonstrating your creditworthiness.
OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

straykat

Apr 17, 2018
Catacombs
✟22,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, not having a credit history can work against you since you have no way of demonstrating your creditworthiness.
OB

I understand. I'm not worried about it. Not to bore you with my financial situation, but there's little I want, and I have enough to survive, thankfully.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Get one credit card with a lower limit, use it pay it off completely on time or early.

That will at least establish a positive credit history if you ever need to take a home, car or education loan.

Then when not using the credit card, put it in a ziploc bag, then fill an empty metal coffee can with water. Drop in the ziploc bag with credit card and put it in the freezer.

This way if you get an impulse to buy something you really don't need, you will have to wait for the metal can to thaw out. :)

Just some advice I heard from a finance advisor friend of mine.

• Informative
Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I understand. I'm not worried about it. Not to bore you with my financial situation, but there's little I want, and I have enough to survive, thankfully.

Then you'll like this quote:

“Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

(Shakespeare's Hamlet. Act 1, Scene 3)
OB

Reactions: straykat
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Scary? Not really.

OB
A credit score can be used against someone in applying for a job, house, or car. China's social credit seems aimed at measuring loyalty to the government, and punishing dissenters.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
A credit score can be used against someone in applying for a job, house, or car. China's social credit seems aimed at measuring loyalty to the government, and punishing dissenters.

Acknowledging your 'seems to be' comment (IOW - we don't really know), are you suggesting that one use is morally superior to the other?
OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

I don't see either approach as particularly desirable but I'm cautious about picking the least worst.

I would naturally gravitate towards the Western version but I am acutely conscious that the cultural context is critical. Someone immersed in the Chinese culture may well see loyalty and conformity to the broader society as the greater good.

In this case I see no absolute rightness or wrongness in either approach. The issue is more around the wellbeing of the people involved.
OB

Upvote 0

seventysevens

Feb 27, 2017
USA
✟38,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Scary? Not really.

OB
Initially the credit system for only for businesses to get loans to buy buildings and equipment and it was to show their business plan was real and worthy for a loan - it just morphed into consumer world when banks became aware how much more control over the worlds financial system they could have - now through electronic buying and selling it is easy to build a dossier on everyone that buys or sells anything- now with RFID tags being put into clothing during the manufacturing process person shirt can communicate with things like those large posters that advertise coming movies or concerts - rfid is being put into many things these days that can track people - medical science has even attached rfid tags to brain cells - this is far more advanced than most people realize

Upvote 0

jardiniere

Oct 14, 2006
✟152,266.00
Faith
Pantheist
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟83,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thought this an interesting but not surprising development.

BEIJING (CBSNewYork) — China is rolling out a high-tech plan to give all of its 1.4 billion citizens a personal score, based on how they behave.

But there are consequences if a score gets too low, and for some that’s cause for concern, CBS2’s Ben Tracy reported Tuesday.

More: China Assigns Every Citizen A 'Social Credit Score' To Identify Who Is And Isn't Trustworthy
Scary development, the international community in the free world can't turn a blind eye to this one?

North Korea is hopefully getting on board, and China is jumping off the cliff?

Sanctions!

Upvote 0