Why Do I Get Chills When I Pray? Is It Wrong to Feel Goosebumps?

Oct 27, 2014
✟10,177.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Everyone,

I am new Christian, and recently as I have been praying to God, I noticed that I would get chills/ goosebumps when I pour my heart to the lord and read the bible... I was wondering if it means anything or is it just a sensation that I get because I am genuinely trying to connect with God?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It can come from self, it can come from the Holy Spirit, it can come from other sources.

Contrary to what many may advise, it is best not to get to excited or focus too much on it. If one begins to use goosebumps as a sort of spiritual barometer, or get excited or feel pleasure from them to the degree that that is what they really seek (though they frequently deny it to themselves) ... those are very unhealthy spiritual dynamics. It is easy to be led into delusion, or to make an idol of the "tingles".

Just seek God, don't worry too much about them. It is possible even that the enemy can attempt deception through such means, so it is better stay in the safety of simply seeking Christ.

God be with you.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Everyone,

I am new Christian, and recently as I have been praying to God, I noticed that I would get chills/ goosebumps when I pour my heart to the lord and read the bible... I was wondering if it means anything or is it just a sensation that I get because I am genuinely trying to connect with God?

I agree with Anastasia to be wary of falling into the spiritual trap of expecting all things of God to be based on physical feeling. I suspect sometimes the Devil, whoever or whatever that is, might mislead us that way. Jesus instructed us to love God with all our soul, our heart, and our MIND.

But on the other hand, I rarely am in serious prayer without feeling emotion--I can't say that is true every single time though so I trust that God is there and is listening even when my prayers aren't going anywhere. But when I feel God's presence, I feel blessed. And I appreciate it. We have a loving God and it is good. I suspect your chills and goosebumps fall in that category.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Anastasia to be wary of falling into the spiritual trap of expecting all things of God to be based on physical feeling. I suspect sometimes the Devil, whoever or whatever that is, might mislead us that way. Jesus instructed us to love God with all our soul, our heart, and our MIND.

But on the other hand, I rarely am in serious prayer without feeling emotion--I can't say that is true every single time though so I trust that God is there and is listening even when my prayers aren't going anywhere. But when I feel God's presence, I feel blessed. And I appreciate it. We have a loving God and it is good. I suspect your chills and goosebumps fall in that category.

By the way, I will second that there are certainly blessings that may be felt during prayer, and emotion is not a bad thing. If one were entirely emotionless, I'd actually worry about them. :)

But as a new Christian, it is VERY easy to fall into traps in these things. There are a number of reasons. God often pours out a great deal of grace on new Christians anyway, which can be very sweet. :) We just need to be wary not to misunderstand that, and we also need to be prepared so that we don't feel abandoned or get into chasing those feelings when He almost certainly will seem to withdraw a bit after the spiritual infancy. :)

But I did want to agree with you that what I said wasn't opposed to your experience at all. :)

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone,

It's hard for someone else to fully understand what occurs in another person. I can say that when the Holy Spirit comes up in me and I begin praying in the Spirit that an incredible feeling arises within me.

Goosebumps or chills can be caused by several things and only you can know for sure where they may come from. One thing is for sure. Keep praying and learning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Everyone,

There are some profoundly powerful things happening in the Heavenly realm.

I feel chills when someone fears God because of God working through me. It is then gone, as if up to the Father and the House of God.

Upvote 0

joshcorn

Oct 27, 2017
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
✟14,533.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is a common occurrence with new christian. Here you are in love with the Lord and in prayer and the presence of Jesus shows up. This is a important day for you and one not to ignore despite what other people say. Learning to sense his presence.
If you ask the father for a loaf of bread would He give you a stone. Some people have more faith in the devil.
What is happening there is getting to know Him. These are baby steps for you. Keep going it gets better and better and better.
During these times stop to listen,His desire is to speak with you.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 0ffset_
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is awesome that you are seeking God with your whole heart. God would be very pleased with you. The cold chills you are experiencing sound to me like a demon. It is not there because you are doing anything wrong. On the contrary it is there because you are doing everything right.

Often when I pray the devil attacks me, or enters the room, he does it to try to assert his power. But know all authority has been given to you in heaven and earth in Christ, no demon can harm you. Stand firmly telling it to go, and it will go.

Often chills are associated with coldness of heart, the devil may be accusing you of not being sincere before God. When ever I feel chills, I check my heart, and humble myself before God. I guess you would call it making no boast.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,156.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It can come from self, it can come from the Holy Spirit, it can come from other sources.

Contrary to what many may advise, it is best not to get to excited or focus too much on it. If one begins to use goosebumps as a sort of spiritual barometer, or get excited or feel pleasure from them to the degree that that is what they really seek (though they frequently deny it to themselves) ... those are very unhealthy spiritual dynamics. It is easy to be led into delusion, or to make an idol of the "tingles".

Just seek God, don't worry too much about them. It is possible even that the enemy can attempt deception through such means, so it is better stay in the safety of simply seeking Christ.

God be with you.

I'd have to agree with Anastasia. I sometimes get "tingles" when listening to homilies or sermons, during some prayers, and so on. It usually starts around the head, and then goes downwards.

But I've learnt to take these with a grain of salt. I just accept that they exist, there's a cause, and leave it at that. As Anastasia wrote, it is easy "to make an idol of the tingles".

On the positive side it means that you're getting an introduction to the reality of the spiritual world, since the chances are that you didn't experience these things before you became a Christian. But don't put too much stock in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums