California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
boys-will-be-good-humans-t-shirt-liz-donovan-photography1.jpg

article said:
We’ve all seen them. Old Navy, Nordstrom, Marks & Spencer, and Forever 21 — among others — have all offered shirts proclaiming that “Boys Will Be Boys.” Not bad in and of itself, but it’s a phrase traditionally used to excuse bad behavior, right? Hit any major retailer, and you’ll find shirts that say “Ladies’ Man,” “Mom’s Little Rebel,” “I’d Flex But I Like This Shirt,” “100% Beast,” “You’re Not on My Level.”

But unlike the rest of us, Courtney Hartman wasn’t ignoring them‚ she was getting annoyed. If boys’ shirts weren’t actively encouraging antisocial behavior, they were all about sports and competition. She couldn’t see her kind, gentle son Declan wearing any of it.

So in July 2015, while working at Amazon, she made her first design: a shirt that read “Mr. Nice Guy,” because as she says, “There was nothing I saw that said my son was a kind and sweet person.” And Free to Be Kids was born.

She also thinks we should actively combat that toxic masculinity. Free to Be Kids shirts turn those messages on their heads: Boys won’t be boys — “Boys Will Be Good Humans.” One shirt proclaims “Feminist Like Daddy” and another “Love Is My Superpower.” They encourage boys to be kind like daddy and tough like mommy. There are butterflies and my 3-year-old son’s beloved bunny shirt. It’s a relief to put my kids in clothing with messages I agree with. And it’s amazing to see them get so excited about wearing animals that are traditionally gendered female.~
This Kid’s Clothing Company Is Pushing Back Against The ‘Boys Will Be Boys’ Stereotype

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Notice how spotless the shirt is!

Boys will be boys and that means climbing trees and getting dirty. I don't want that to change other than someday getting to the point where girls are allowed into the club, or better still where girls are also expected to climb trees and get dirty.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think people can be quite ridiculous when it comes to baby clothes, both for baby boys and baby girls. I have a four month-old nephew and he has clothes like the article talks about, and as a feminist it just kind of rubs me the wrong way. They also have friends who have a baby girl a few months older than my nephew at they commented that they received so many clothes are her baby shower that her daughter won't ever wear because it's not practical, but people still bought for them because outfit was cute.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
or better still where girls are also expected to climb trees and get dirty.
And all the other "Boys will be Boys" stuff we all did growing up. :)

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is going to make me a relic of the past when my father would call me a sissy for not liking hunting, fishing, sports, fighting, and being in the military.

He would probably drink himself to death if he were forced to raise a son in this day and age.
My husband's father did the same thing. He (my husband) was called a sissy (and other things) for preferring to play his guitar and draw (and hating anything to do with football and baseball). His father *did* drink himself to death (because drinking was considered *another* thing "guys do" and was accepted--especially since "it is just beer!").

Boys will be boys and that means climbing trees and getting dirty.
....I climbed trees and got dirty---did that make me a boy? See how it's really a useless saying? Also---not *all* boys enjoy climbing trees and getting dirty (and they shouldn't be made to feel they're less of a boy for having those preferences).

An attempt to erase healthy masculinity in our age is very dangerous.
This *is* "healthy masculinity". What's being erased are the excuses ("it's just locker room talk"....or an excuse for bullying or domestic abuse).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Notice how spotless the shirt is!

Boys will be boys and that means climbing trees and getting dirty. I don't want that to change other than someday getting to the point where girls are allowed into the club, or better still where girls are also expected to climb trees and get dirty.

Granted I only have one child, a daughter, but there was no lack of climbing trees and getting dirty. I think that's a child thing, not a gender thing.

But I don't think the objection here is to being active, or dirty. It's objecting to when boys are physically inappropriate and given a free pass by the adults in their lives because, well, you know, boys will be boys!

Upvote 0

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This *is* "healthy masculinity". What's being erased are the excuses ("it's just locker room talk"....or an excuse for bullying or domestic abuse).

Well, it all depends. I never use this phrase (and I have 4 sons) to excuse anything remotely immoral or unworthy. But I do use it to explain (in a very concise way) to my wife and daughters that some of their behavior is in fact quite acceptable and even expected among males.

The kinds of things that you mention - daddy will never excuse them, but will come down on them with swift and brute force of fatherly love. Boys must be boys, men must be men, and fathers must be fathers. Respectful, honest, peaceful, caring, responsible, protective of the weak. Being obedient to God is #1 rule. Locker room, at your house, among friends, at school, in larger society, anywhere and at any time. Do right even if nobody sees you or will never learn about what you do - God sees everything. Everything you say, think or do, you'll be accountable before Him eventually.

I'd never allow any of my boys wear a t-shirt where "boys will be boys" has "boys" crossed out. It's like erasing your God-given nature. It's a rebellion against God, and we know well from the Bible where it leads to...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Granted I only have one child, a daughter, but there was no lack of climbing trees and getting dirty. I think that's a child thing, not a gender thing.

But I don't think the objection here is to being active, or dirty. It's objecting to when boys are physically inappropriate and given a free pass by the adults in their lives because, well, you know, boys will be boys!

Anything that is good and respected by a significant part of the population will eventually be used by scum to defend their scummy behaviour.

One should not throw out the good just because the bad try to hide behind it.

Well behaved children in the sense of being obedient to and not questioning authority are the most fertile ground for true evil.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This *is* "healthy masculinity". What's being erased are the excuses
"Healthy masculinity" has many definitions.

My dad's included NO SHOW OF EMOTIONS or crying. Ever.
Being very physically strong.
Athletic ability - mostly for baseball or football. (basketball was questionable)
Boys were to be rarely seen, and NEVER heard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It made you a "tom-boy."
Theres no reason to use "boy" to describe me based on my childhood activities. Like Paidiske mentioned, it's more likely "childhood " behavior....not gendered. BTW....even though I loved to climb trees and get dirty as a child.. I also refused to wear pants (with the exception of shorts under my dresses). ..and wore fancy braids down to my waist.

• Agree
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
"Healthy masculinity" has many definitions.

My dad's included NO SHOW OF EMOTIONS or crying. Ever.
Being very physically strong.
Athletic ability - mostly for baseball or football. (basketball was questionable)
Boys were to be rarely seen, and NEVER heard.
The opinions of people aren't what make up truth. It's NOT healthy to suppress emotions.....and to emphasize athletic ability (neglecting genuine integrity) and silence (disconnection from others) is a toxic form of masculinity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. It's NOT healthy to suppress emotions.
I agree. Dad had beaten all crying and most other emotional expressions out of me by age 6.
and to emphasize athletic ability and silence (disconnection from others) is a toxic form of masculinity.
I am sure he was only doing what he himself grew up with. But yes, it is toxic.
I did NOT raise my children with that profile.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While I'm not as excited about feminist clothing for boys, I do find many t-shirts for babies and children disturbing, in that they project adult sexuality and ideas onto little kids.

I saw a onsie for a baby boy that read "chicks love to pick me up", and another that read " chicks dig chubby dudes". I didn't find it cute, I found it weird.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am sure he was only doing what he himself grew up with. But yes, it is toxic.
I did NOT raise my children with that profile.
Excellent for you. I think it takes tremendous strength and integrity to break cycles like that.

Upvote 0