✟15,332.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

We have a 4 year old daughter. Is there a web-site or maybe just some direct feedback on this forum that has something like a "Christian approved cartoons" list for Netflix, Hulu, PBS and/or Amazon - or even other networks?
They don't necessarily need to be cartoons with Christian characters and direct messages (although that's great, too).
Basically I'm tired of the messages being given by shows like "Sofia the First" and "Barbie". Shows like "Danielle the tiger" are great, but she's getting a little old for that one.

Any input appreciated!

Blessings,
Chris

Last edited:

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello, and welcome to CF! :)

I hope you get great answers. I'm too out of the loop myself (my daughter is in college). Do they still offer Little Bear or Franklin? Those were great, though she may be getting a bit old for those too. I'm not sure they are still available though. If you have a Roku or a device that runs YouTube to your TV, I wonder if any of the older shows might be available there? When my daughter was a little older she used to watch the Wild Thornberrys and I don't remember anything objectionable on that, except a few snarky comments from the teen sister.

I always wished the old Captain Kangaroo was still available when my daughter was small.

I do hope you get good answers that are more current. I mostly wanted to welcome you to CF. :)

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't know if what I'm saying here "helps" much, but having raised (My better half and myself) 2 boys, and not always knowing what's good to watch. What we would do, if there was either cartoons (when younger) or movies when older, if there was a moment in the movie where there was something to briefly talk about, we would pause or use the commercial time to touch on it.

In some ways the scripture says when it comes to evil be innocent. Romans 16:19 meaning we shouldn't really be to "up" and "in" on the latest evil thing...and even as adults we are bombarded by it.

But also, we are reminded that we are in the world. Part of the problem with Christian school for example is or church (building gatherings) is that we are not too good huddled together, we have to get out there and into the game. In the world but not 'of it'. John 17:15-17

Before anyone gets jumpy about Christian school, I graduated in C.S. and our two sons went most of their schooling in C.S's before going to regular schools. (both have their troubles, I guess is what I am saying).

An good quote "Christians are like manure: spread them out and they help everything grow better , but keep them in one big pile and they stink horribly."

You are doing wonderful, in your pursuit of protecting your family...its refreshing to hear.

-eric

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello,

We have a 4 year old daughter. Is there a web-site or maybe just some direct feedback on this forum that has something like a "Christian approved cartoons" list for Netflix, Hulu, PBS and/or Amazon - or even other networks?
They don't necessarily need to be cartoons with Christian characters and direct messages (although that's great, too).
Basically I'm tired of the messages being given by shows like "Sofia the First" and "Barbie". Shows like "Danielle the tiger" are great, but she's getting a little old for that one.

Any input appreciated!

Blessings,
Chris

Our grand-babies are ages 6-15 and all of them enjoy Children's stuff either on PureFlix.. they have kid's series...https://pureflix.com/videosfeed_pid=C7eFuIMVq1qu
or Jellytelly, which is for children and there's more shows on Jellytelly for children than on Pureflix
...https://www.jellytelly.com/pricing

• Informative
Reactions: LaSorcia
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the forums.

You're wise to search things out for her to view.

Our grands were watching and suddenly they said "you believe that or some Bible story?" with a pause. Results: eliminated from their viewing list. The next day on another program, I heard - when someone in authority corrects you, pretend they're sitting in front of you in their underwear. Results: another program eliminated. Kids were complaining - soon we won't be able to watch anything.

We'll have to see how it goes.

Upvote 0

EatingPie

Blueberry!
Mar 31, 2005
Visit site
✟4,703.00
Faith
Christian
I am an animation fan, and have watched quite a number of shows.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I highly recommend My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. It's on Netflix. The art is absolutely beautiful, and the stories are fun and carry a great message about... Friendship. I see this show as an example of how we reflect God's grace and creativity through the arts.

Veggie Tales
I was introduced to Veggie Tales by a Christian Vegeterian. I thought, "oh, man, what kind of propoganda is this??" I went from total cynicism to being as enthralled as my kids in about 5 minutes. I recommend going from oldest to newer. Song of the Cucumber and The Pirates who Don't Do Anything kill me every time.

Barbie Movies
If your child likes Barbie, there are a number of Barbie movies that are absolutely great... No, I'm not kidding... Yes, they really are great! They focus on introducing kids to the fine arts, and they're tremendously successful at meeting this goal.

The first was made in 2001, Barbie in the Nutcracker. It uses Tchaikovsky's score and tells a very affirming story about strength and love. The special features on the DVD make this a knock out. There's a documentary on Juliard, focusing on a couple of the children in the ballet program. Not only does this connect to the ballet elements in the movie, but also shows real children really working on becoming ballerinas. I wish every Children's DVD was this thoughtfully compiled.

Barbie Swan Lake from 2003 connects to painting, and the special features follow a young adult as she prepares for her first art show.

Barbie Princess and the Pauper focuses on song.

Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus
from 2005 incorporates Beethoven's 6th Symphony.

Yes, each of these had Barbie toys available, which clouded many a review. But the producers of these films really wanted to create something of quality, and they did so with beauty and grace.

After these first four, the movies started becoming hit and miss. (Be warned, do NOT tread into Barbie and the Dream House, as this series contains just about every horrible Barbie cliche you can possibly imagine. It's done this way on purpose, but kids don't realize that, so it inadvertently glorifies the shallowest aspects of the characters.)

Steven Universe [EDIT: Oops. This show is too mature for a 4 year old.]
I also will go out on a limb and recommend Steven Universe. But only if you watch it with your kids. It involves aliens from a planet of all females, so it has gay overtones. But far more importantly, it also illustrates unconditional love through the main character, even in situations where relationships can be difficult and complicated. Another show where I see the Grace of God manifested, regardless of -- or in spite of -- Christian views on homosexuality.

-Pie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EatingPie

Blueberry!
Mar 31, 2005
Visit site
✟4,703.00
Faith
Christian
Have you seen Sean the Sheep or Wallace and Grommet? They are good for that age group and adults as well (as I can attest lol). I wouldn't recommend Sean the Sheep movies for that age group though.
I want to second Wallace and Gromit! Three animated shorts are a must: A Grand Day Out, The Wrong Trousers, and A Close Shave (introduces Shawn the Sheep).

Their movie Curse of the Were Rabbit is probably too scary for a 4 year old. Also not as whimsically fun as their shorts.

Shaun the Sheep is a TV show made for young children. I personally think The Shaun the Sheep Movie is also totally fine for young kids.

-Pie

Upvote 0