Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
coe-co2-may-2019.png
oct-2019-record-run.png

We are in a global crisis.

Teens, fight against those who insist on ignoring the threats to our generation.
FIGHT!!!

Attachments

• methane-ppb-nov-2019.png
    methane-ppb-nov-2019.png
    208.3 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Zoii, I thought of you while reading this letter from an exasperated volunteer firefighter to Scott Morrison.
:)

We are at war. There are no prisoners': Firefighter pens powerful letter to Scott Morrison - urging him to take action on the bushfires and stop offering 'prayers from Hillsong'

A small-town firefighter has written a powerful letter calling on Scott Morrison to acknowledge the impact of climate change and take urgent action.

Christopher Nicholls, from Merimbula on the south coast of New South Wales, urged the Prime Minister to stop offering 'prayers and thoughts from Hillsong' and start treating the devastating bushfires 'like a war'.

'This is a national emergency, not a minor weather event,' he wrote.

Mr Nicholls described the terrifying experience of fighting a bushfire and said he often feared he would perish in a blaze and never see his loved ones again.

'When my pager goes off in the middle of a hot, blustery severe fire danger day and I have to rush off to a bushfire, and as I am sitting in the truck proceeding under sirens and lights to the fire, I wonder if this might be my last day.'

The firefighter said he was not impressed with the 'platitutes and cricket news' from Mr Morrison, describing his 'thoughts and prayers' as a 'pathetic response.'

Mr Nicholls urged Mr Morrison to treat the bushfire emergency as if a war had been waged on Australia.

'The war is climate change, and the battles are fires, drought, intense weather events such as tropical cyclones and other climate related phenomenon in the new normal of the climate-changed world,' he wrote.

'The war is the long game - and will be fought over several decades into the future, so there needs to be planning and task forces and armies and technology and considerable ingenuity.'

I don't typically read The Daily Mail, but a friend retweeted this article, and I'm glad he did.

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Thank you Ella. Our situation in Australia is desperate. We have a rapidly deteriorating environment. No rain for more than a year in large parts of Australia. Towns have run out of water. Rainforests are now burning because they are, for the first time ever, dry. There are so many fires that Sydney is blanketed in smoke. There are massive regions where the forecasts are that it will never rain again in those regions.

Meanwhile, our Prime Minister is doing everything he can to support major polluters and avoiding his Paris commitments.

He offers prayers for rain but no solutions - it's Gods will apparently and he attends his evangelist church and raises his hands to the air while people lose their homes to fire. He and his ministers are very much climate change deniers. I know you are Christian Ella, but I am furious with the Christian community who fuel this the nationwide inaction. I regard the Christian community of Australia as an enemy of my generation.

Our national drought coordinator, commissioned by our climate change denying prime minister, states publicly that humans are not the cause of the acceleration of our deteriorating climate; and that if we all just hang in there, the rain will come, particularly if you pray hard enough.

I feel like I am at war with those who are in charge and responsible for my future and the future of our nation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you Ella. Our situation in Australia is desperate. We have a rapidly deteriorating environment. No rain for more than a year in large parts of Australia. Towns have run out of water. Rainforests are now burning because they are, for the first time ever, dry. There are so many fires that Sydney is blanketed in smoke. There are massive regions where the forecasts are that it will never rain again in those regions.

Meanwhile, our Prime Minister is doing everything he can to support major polluters and avoiding his Paris commitments.

He offers prayers for rain but no solutions - it's Gods will apparently and he attends his evangelist church and raises his hands to the air while people lose their homes to fire. He and his ministers are very much climate change deniers. I know you are Christian Ella, but I am furious with the Christian community who fuel this the nationwide inaction. I regard the Christian community of Australia as an enemy of my generation.

Our national drought coordinator, commissioned by our climate change denying prime minister, states publicly that humans are not the cause of the acceleration of our deteriorating climate; and that if we all just hang in there, the rain will come, particularly if you pray hard enough.

I feel like I am at war with those who are in charge and responsible for my future and the future of our nation.

:greenheart:

I believe it's a sacred obligation to be stewards of God's creations. It is what we owe for the gift of life.
Therefore to me it's not only acceptable but necessary to constructively express disapproval and anger for leaders who flaunt their faith, who publicly offer up prayers and platitudes, but refute their sincerity with counterproductive actions. It's even more frustrating to me than the attitude of indifference that many Christians unfortunately hold, because it's so duplicitous.

I am proud of and encouraged by Christians who do actively strive to protect the environment, despite severe pushback from other Christians and political groups.

And I'm proud of other young people who have the courage to speak up and to keep speaking and refuse to be silenced even by those much older and more powerful in position. Today the president of Brazil called Greta Thunberg a "brat" after she condemned violence against indigenous people who were killed in the Amazon. When Donald Trump mocked her, instead of her whimpering and withdrawing as he did when other world leaders mocked him at the NATO Summit, she proudly put his words in her Twitter bio and she persevered on.

When my older brother was an undergrad at Stanford, his girlfriend was pivotal to organizing a group of students to persistently advocate for the university endowment to divest from coal. And it worked. In 2014 Stanford announced that it would divest its $18.7 billion endowment of stock in coal-mining companies, becoming the first major university to lend support to a nationwide campaign to purge endowments and pension funds of fossil fuel investments. Unfortunately............Stanford later invested in gas and oil companies. But current students have retained the pace of the students before us in our activism, as well as urging other measures for environmentalism. Divestment isn't significant enough to make a substantial difference, but it does make a difference and that is significant.

Citizens are writing:
PM's climate paralysis can be traced to the Coal-ition

Keep the light of optimism lit in your heart, Zoii.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ella, sometimes I feel like screaming.
Our energy minister is calling upon Australians to abandon solar power because he believes it is placing pressure upon the energy grid and will run coal-burning electricity producers out of business; and this cannot be allowed, he says.

This reverse logic, devoid of evidence-based critical thinking, is now resulting in natural catastrophes across my nation. Climate extinction is beginning. It's happening now. The fires in NSW are so extensive that it has virtually wiped out the Koala population and they are now severely threatened as a species.

The great barrier reef cannot withstand another bleaching event. If it occurs then the likelihood is that the largest living species on this planet will cease to exist.

The extinction event has begun. We have moved beyond the tipping point. Yet still, our politicians do nothing and mock those who attempt to save this planet.

Today is 40 degrees Celcius. It is the 3rd day at this temperature for the month. This is the first time ever in the history of this state.

Electricity distributors warn excess solar power could destabilise grid

Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Take a look at the thread running on this site concerning Greta Thunberg started by @tulc

Trump attacks Greta Thunberg for being Time's 'Person of the Year'

This site is a microcosm of Christianity. The level of vitriol and ridiculing towards Greta and her ideology is toxic. This is from adult Christians who espouse an ideology that I had thought was the opposite of what i am reading. At university I couldn't help myself and challenged a Christian demonstration aimed at debunking climate change. When I asked where they get their science from I was told "From the bible." I was told, " The fires and devastation are what God fortold and we are excited at the coming of the Lord"

How am I to respond to that. When such a large cohort of our society actively wants to prevent action against the destruction of our planet, because of their religious beliefs. How am I to prevent myself from generalising and applying the fury I have towards this group, to all who state they are Christian. This site merely reaffirms that view.

Now logically, I am well aware that the Christians on this site, may not represent ALL Christians. But as we speak, the Christian lobby is vocal and active and debunking climate change is in their sights.

I take heart that teen Christians have a very different outlook to the vitriolic avoidance of science seen by the adult Christians. you guys, @Stanfordella @Go Braves @Cimorene @Kaon you have a massive task to not only fight against climate change, but to fight against the toxicity that outsiders see pervading the religion. You need to be more vocal then them. Its hard, I know, when your president (and my PM) are the loudest toxic voices.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Oh! And guess who Time Magazine chose as their "Person of the Year" for 2019? I've given the answer away with my new signature. :)
I hope she gets a Nobel prize. Of all the fights towards a better earth, this has to be the biggest fight of them all, and she is brave enough to shoulder the burden of criticism for her efforts.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Zoii Idk if you saw but Ella wrote about YOU in a post she wrote in another thread about Greta being named Time's Person of the Year. :)
Greta Thunberg Is Time Person of the Year for 2019
Thank you, Cimorene, I didn't know that. She's very generous to mention me in the same thread as Greta.

You are a wonderful example of a Christian, Cimorene, as is Ella. Drown out those who ridicule our generation and continue the fight for our existence.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you, Cimorene, I didn't know that. She's very generous to mention me in the same thread as Greta.

You are a wonderful example of a Christian, Cimorene, as is Ella. Drown out those who ridicule our generation and continue the fight for our existence.

We think very highly of you too, Zoii! :hearteyes:

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON
Thread moved to the correct forum - Younger adults 17-23 - Gen Z
ADMIN HAT OFF

@Cimorene

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Large swathes of Australia are on fire, particularly in New South Wales and Victoria. That's about One third the Size pf the USA. The fires are catastrophic burning above 1300 homes many dead. Half a million native animals are dead. The Koala is now at extinction levels. The entire insect microbion of the Forrest is lost, leaving nothing for the surviving animals to feed on. The smoke has shrouded Sydney and Canberra in smoke so toxic it is 26 times above extremely hazardous air quality standards

The smoke how now shrouded parts of New Zealand and tainted some of their glaciers brown

The fire extends over five hundred kilometres. Australia is no stranger to bushfires but the catastrophic level of these fires is unprecedented.

Out Prime Minister has stated that this is not a climate change issue and that he intends to change nothing about climate management policies - which means he intends to do nothing. Tens of thousands are trapped in these fire fronts.

This is just the early stages of our summer. This is the beginning of the extinction event warned to us by scientists for the last 25 years.

My generation is furious with our government who continues to deny there is a problem with our climate.

images.jpg
9ab1ca1995a9661f95ed9658b281c46a.jpg
ef449adf026b5f455d5c208ff196291a.jpg
r0_0_5338_3559_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
3000.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0