✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Options for emissions reduction centre on carbon dioxide
CO2 is the dominant contributor to human-induced climate change (Question 3). If the world adopts a target of keeping warming to less than 2°C above preindustrial temperatures, then future cumulative CO2 emissions would need to be capped at around 30 years worth of current emissions (Question 4). Estimates of the amount of carbon in accessible fossil fuel reserves vary, but all agree that these reserves are at least several times larger than the carbon cap for a 2°C warming limit. Therefore, such a carbon cap, or even a significantly more lenient one, can only be met if a large fraction of available fossil fuel reserves remains unburned or if the CO2 released is captured and permanently sequestered (see below).

Methane, nitrous oxide, halocarbon gases and black-carbon aerosols also have warming effects (Question 3), and reductions in their emissions would reduce the near-term warming rate. However, their combined contributions to warming over the longer term would be much less than that of CO2, so these reductions alone could not meet a goal such as a 2°C warming limit.

There are many ways to reduce emissions of CO2 and other warming agents, including shifting energy supply away from dependence on fossil fuels; energy efficiency in the domestic, industrial, service and transport sectors; reductions in overall demand through better system design; and efficient reductions in emissions of methane, nitrous oxide, halocarbon gases and black-carbon aerosols. Uptake of all of these options is happening now, and multiple studies have shown that they can be expanded effectively.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Mass arrests of young people protesting against climate change.
11475342-3x2-700x467.jpg

Emma Dorge arrested for blocking the road during a climate change demonstration.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I post a link to the Australian Youth Climate Coalition.
AYCC
Check it out or the one in your own country and be part of the activism

Zoii, Zoii, Zoii, exciting, exciting news to share with you! :) This past Friday there was another massive climate strike in Los Angeles that I, along with around 3000 other activists -------- including Greta Thunberg! - attended. It was phenomenal. Schools and colleges throughout Los Angeles and the surrounding areas coordinated so students could attend this one, as they did for the global strike on September 20. It was especially meaningful since catastrophic wildfires have been raging throughout the state, destroying homes, land, and crops.

Greta Thunberg joins L.A. climate strike, says wildfires ‘will continue to get worse’

What's especially thrilling, though, is that her passionate activism has helped to ignite a thirst for knowledge about climate change. During the week of the strike in September there were exhibits at schools and special lessons leading up to it. More community-wide education has been incorporated into the curriculums at schools from elementary through university level, and met with enthusiasm. My high school AP (Advanced Placement / university level) Environmental Science teacher told me there has been a surge in the number of students applying to be in the class. It's the highest number since it began being offered nation-wide in the late 1990s.

In early September before the autumn quarter began at Stanford I got to attend a week-long event on my campus that brought together experts from across the academic disciplines to discuss climate change, and they also praised Greta Thunberg's call to action, and youth for heeding it. :)

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also! On my campus we have an educational farm to teach about sustainable agriculture, and there was just an amazing Harvest Festival hosted by a student-led organization. It had a terrific turnout too!! One significant way that you individually can have an impact on the climate is through what you eat. The organization raises awareness for the relationship between human systems and environmental systems, and how to be reflective about decisions made in regards to food, consumerism and the environment. :)

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
Our generation, sick to our hearts with the insipid ineptitude of older generations to act with assertion to address climate change, have decided to stand up and carve out our own political space.
'It's our future': Climate strike draws 'hundreds of thousands' to rallies across Australia demanding action

Our generation has realised we have been betrayed. The media will attack our generation. Right wing media have already begun their assault against us. Some will call us mislead, others will attack our motives or our capacity to understand the issues.

But I say it is time to stop listening to anyone who is not an expert in climate science. You wouldn't ignore the medical advice of tens of thousands of Doctors, so why ignore the informed advice concerning the health of our planet.

Its time to fight. Older generations will not do it for us. They will not face the brunt of this peril. We will. We have to fight. Its our survival - Our children's survival.

Fight!!

We aren't fed up, we are short-sighted, unimaginative, incredulous for the wrong reasons, and downright ignorant when it comes to what is going on now.

And, we have sold our children the same lie we believe so willingly. We are flooded with information, but we remain ignorant to stay socially acceptable and viable. We will reap what we sow; it's too late to appeal to the climate/earth.

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Zoii, Zoii, Zoii, exciting, exciting news to share with you! :) This past Friday there was another massive climate strike in Los Angeles that I, along with around 3000 other activists -------- including Greta Thunberg! - attended. It was phenomenal. Schools and colleges throughout Los Angeles and the surrounding areas coordinated so students could attend this one, as they did for the global strike on September 20. It was especially meaningful since catastrophic wildfires have been raging throughout the state, destroying homes, land, and crops.

Greta Thunberg joins L.A. climate strike, says wildfires ‘will continue to get worse’

What's especially thrilling, though, is that her passionate activism has helped to ignite a thirst for knowledge about climate change. During the week of the strike in September there were exhibits at schools and special lessons leading up to it. More community-wide education has been incorporated into the curriculums at schools from elementary through university level, and met with enthusiasm. My high school AP (Advanced Placement / university level) Environmental Science teacher told me there has been a surge in the number of students applying to be in the class. It's the highest number since it began being offered nation-wide in the late 1990s.

In early September before the autumn quarter began at Stanford I got to attend a week-long event on my campus that brought together experts from across the academic disciplines to discuss climate change, and they also praised Greta Thunberg's call to action, and youth for heeding it. :)
Hi Ella - You rock !!!

Here I move between despair and unbridled excitement.

On the despair end, my government is headed by a PM that is an evangelist and absolute climate denier, and surrounds himself with ministers of a similar ilk

On the upside, the efforts here, are focused on my generation, as the older ones have made up their minds one way or another. Our generation is where the greatest work must be done, as we are the keepers of the future.

We are focussed on several areas
a) cultural change - we must alter the habits of people in a way that reduces our carbon footprint. Consumerism is a large part of that and education of our generation is critical to the changes needed.

We are lobbying retails outlets and industry

b) Public relations - This is one massive public relation exercise. Everything we do must result in contact from the media who - by their conservative nature - tend NOT to be on our side. We have to be smart in our PR to ultimately influence the media, that it doesn't look good for them to show us up in a negative way.

We have to be very pointed in our PR, with a massive emphasis on embarrassing our government. It's critical that we give the perception that this government is NOT supportive of this generation and that we perceive it with enmity. Politicians don't like to appear unpopular.

c) We put emphasis on shutting down the pseudo scientists - the ones who they drag out with some aberrant assessment of climate science, and yet get undue media attention.

d) Demonstrations - We have to be visible and we have to maintain it - the work you are doing is perfect in that regard.

e) Political and Industry policy change. We need to show that we are not suggesting the population returns to the dark ages. We are simply demanding that provisions of energy are through non-carbon emitting means. We already have the means to achieve this. We can be consumers of energy - we just need to produce it using hydro, geothermal, tidal, wind and solar. Hydrogen fuel is also an area we are trying to push. But this needs support in policy from government in order to give both industry (and their shareholders) and consumers confidence.

Keep up the fight Ella - and it is a fight.
:) Zoii

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Did you get to speak to Greta?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did you get to speak to Greta?

No, but I got to listen to her speak in person, alongside my little sisters, and that was a phenomenal experience!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce." She's the spark of light that has ignited a global passion and motivated meaningful action such as the efforts you've detailed.

She rocks, and so do you. :) On my school's private forum we've been discussing this, and I'll copy and paste your posts from here there to share about what Gen Z is doing in Australia!

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I wish you could bring back Obama. Australia has such respect for him.

I'm ashamed of our current government on so many levels, but especially with regards to its vision on energy production and climate change

The previous conservative PM of Australia was quoted as saying, warming of climate is a good thing because more people die of cold weather. What does that tell you about the intelligence of our leaders. I mean that comment even makes Trump like a scientific genius.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...-because-more-people-die-20171010-gyxi9y.html

This is the link to the news that reported on our Ex-PMs comments. His views, supported by many within conservative ranks of Australian politics, are not only absurdly uninformed and embarrassing, they also pose a direct threat to our generation.

We should never simply laugh and ignore such statements. They must be attacked with every Public Relations resource at our disposal. It must be shared on social media and denounced for the destructiveness it imposes on our efforts to change policy. Such statements appeal to the uninformed of our society, and unfortunately in Australia, that is a good number of people, particularly within older generations who are highly resistant to change.

Never simply ridicule such statements. Attack them and with logic, but also with enmity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ada Lovelace

Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Greta Thunberg is educating and inspiring us on climate change

The last two paragraphs especially resonated with me since my family has personally experienced the hellacious wildfires in Southern California, and my campus has been engulfed by the smoke from the wildfires closer to here.

As the Kincade wildfire devastated Sonoma County, I began to notice that neighbors have begun discussing climate change with less hesitation. In the meantime, two grassfires broke out near the edges of Briones regional park, one near my high school, another just down the road from John Muir’s house. Despite high winds, fire departments were able to put out these fires but not before several homes burned. Before going to bed, the smoke having blown away and an enforced blackout darkening the neighborhood, I stepped outside, where I saw the stars and constellations with unusual clarity.

Greta is right, and we need to listen. The scientists are right, and the children, too. I hope that our fog of denial will lift, that the smoke continues to clear, revealing the facts. If we do not take immediate action, many more Edens will be destroyed.

I :greenheart: Greta, Zoii, Cimorene, all those who keep speaking up, taking action - for the betterment of us all.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The appalling lack of action by our governments results in a total failure to meet our climate change objectives.

Shame on that generation of inept, impotent and corrupt leaders. They are the enemy of my generation.

Report by the New York Times

The World Still Isn’t Meeting Its Climate Goals

Upvote 0