Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Our generation, sick to our hearts with the insipid ineptitude of older generations to act with assertion to address climate change, have decided to stand up and carve out our own political space.
'It's our future': Climate strike draws 'hundreds of thousands' to rallies across Australia demanding action

Our generation has realised we have been betrayed. The media will attack our generation. Right wing media have already begun their assault against us. Some will call us mislead, others will attack our motives or our capacity to understand the issues.

But I say it is time to stop listening to anyone who is not an expert in climate science. You wouldn't ignore the medical advice of tens of thousands of Doctors, so why ignore the informed advice concerning the health of our planet.

Its time to fight. Older generations will not do it for us. They will not face the brunt of this peril. We will. We have to fight. Its our survival - Our children's survival.

Fight!!

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What is most disturbing, is that cohort percentage wise, it is Christians who care less, mock climate science, and are vehemently opposed to making any change.

I say to teen Christians we have to force change. One day we will all be in charge when they will all be wearing sanitation nappies. Their comments are to be totally disregarded for the uninformed, unscientific non-sense that it is.

Moreover, they should be regarded as an enemy - why??? In another thread a poster laid out the scientific evidence before the UN - the response from an adult Christian was "LOL". In other words, the view from the majority of Christians, particularly right wing Christians is that they could not give a damn.

Fight!!!

• Agree
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
D1tY14vWsAAUGPz.jpg

There is no Planet B.

Teens fight against ignorance. Fight for our generation.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Australia’s current 2030 greenhouse gas pollution target is weak, and we are not on track to meet it.
The Federal Government has released updated Emissions Projections confirming Australia is not on track to meet its woefully inadequate 2030 emissions reduction target.

The Federal Government’s own published data shows Australia’s greenhouse gas pollution levels are expected to continue to go up over the next decade. Australia’s emissions in 2030 are expected to be higher than today.

The Federal Energy Minister Angus Taylor is misleading the public by claimingAustralia will meet its target ahead of schedule. The Prime Minister Scott Morrison is misleading the public by claiming Australia will meet the Paris target “in a canter”. Both claims are incorrect.

The Federal Government’s own Emissions Projections clearly show Australia is not on track to meet its Paris commitments. The Federal Government has no credible climate policy in place to tackle our rising greenhouse gas pollution.

The Climate Council is calling on the Federal Government to stop making misleading comments about Australia meeting its Paris climate target and get serious about effective climate action.

HOW DO WE KNOW AUSTRALIA ISN’T ON TRACK TO MEET OUR CLIMATE COMMITMENTS?
The Australian Government’s own projections show that Australia is not on track to reach our national emissions reduction target of 26-28% by 2030 (below 2005 levels). According to the government’s projections, in order to meet our current emissions target, Australia will need policies to reduce emissions by an extra 695 – 762 million tonnes of greenhouse gas pollution between 2021-2030.

Figure – Australia’s emissions trends, 1990 to 2030

Australias-emissions-trends-1-1024x703.jpg

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree that climate is definitely a problem and we need to work together to help mitigate it’s effects for future generations. However, another thing people need to remember is that God is still sovereign and he cares about his human family. Therefore, all this talk about climate changes bringing about the extinction of the human race isn’t correct in my eyes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I agree that climate is definitely a problem and we need to work together to help mitigate it’s effects for future generations. However, another thing people need to remember is that God is still sovereign and he cares about his human. Therefore, all this talk about climate changes bringing about the extinction of the human race isn’t correct in my eyes.
God didnt create this mess - we humans did and we humans need to fix it and not just pray to God expecting him to fix the mess.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
From NASA
Is it too late to prevent climate change? – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet
Humans have caused major climate changes to happen already, and we have set in motion more changes still. Even if we stopped emitting greenhouse gases today, global warming would continue to happen for at least several more decades, if not centuries. That’s because it takes a while for the planet (for example, the oceans) to respond, and because carbon dioxide – the predominant heat-trapping gas – lingers in the atmosphere for hundreds of years. There is a time lag between what we do and when we feel it.

In the absence of major action to reduce emissions, global temperature is on track to rise by an average of 6 °C (10.8 °F), according to the latest estimates. Some scientists argue a “global disaster” is already unfolding at the poles of the planet; the Arctic, for example, may be ice-free at the end of the summer melt season within just a few years. Yet other experts are concerned about Earth passing one or more “tipping points” – abrupt, perhaps irreversible changes that tip our climate into a new state.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God didnt create this mess - we humans did and we humans need to fix it and not just pray to God expecting him to fix the mess.

I never said he did cause this issue but as a Christian I believe God is still sovereign and he won’t allow the human race to become extinction due to climate change.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I never said he did cause this issue but as a Christian I believe God is still sovereign and he won’t allow the human race to become extinction due to climate change.
So what does that mean to you - Do you accept we need to address climate change, OR are you saying you won't do your part to address global warming because you think God is going to do it for us.

I can accept your belief in God - I cannot accept a refusal to address climate change.

Upvote 0

Christ is Lord

Aug 27, 2019
Top Secret
✟27,506.00
Country
Virgin Islands, British
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So what does that mean to you - Do you accept we need to address climate change, OR are you saying you won't do your part to address global warming because you think God is going to do it for us.

I can accept your belief in God - I cannot accept a refusal to address climate change.

I stated that in my original post.

I agree that climate is definitely a problem and we need to work together to help mitigate it’s effects for future generations.

Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
From the Guardian demonstrating the attacks upon us for standing up for our lives and our children's lives - AND our planet:

From Alan Jones to the Daily Mail: the Australian media's bizarre reactions to the climate strike

From Alan Jones to the Daily Mail: the Australian media's bizarre reactions to the climate strike

The Daily Mail found a child at the climate strike who said they just wanted the day off school and Alan Jones quoted Joseph Goebbels. Those were just some of the more bizarre takes on the climate strike from sections of the media on Friday.

Hundreds of thousands of people rallied across Australia in what were overwhelmingly peaceful events but on Sydney’s most popular breakfast program Jones interviewed climate sceptics and claimed school children were being brainwashed by adults with a political agenda.

“This sort of stuff is frightening young people,” Jones told his audience. “Young people are going to be concerned, they believe their teachers, they actually think that they’re at school and what they’re being told is true.
“The notion of using children in all of this is scandalous and the politics of climate change has become poisonous.”

Well Mr Jones - what frightens us is the wilful misinformation from people such as yourself - Make no mistake - We teens regard people like you as an enemy. You threaten our existence.

Teens - Fight for your right to live!!!!

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
And here it is again:
School principal under fire after saying Greta Thunberg has 'mental problems' in newsletter

Conservative Christians attacking teens for their concerns regarding climate change. This time its a principal of a Christian School who, in a letter to parents, refers to Greta Thunberg as a "deranged teen with mental problems" who sprouts "doomsday waffle."

This is what we can expect from so-called responsible Christian Adults. Nothing in the principal's letter to parents actually addressed the science. There was nothing citing recent rsearch from credible climate researchers. On the contrary it is Miss Thunberg who cites the overwhelming mass of scientific research over the past 50 years, and the International Climate Scientists consensus on climate change.

While adults feel free to sprout antagonist comments, none of it is enmeshed in science. It is an attack based on the drive from the fosil fuel industry and very much taken up by conservative Christians. Many of the same Christians see the predictions as a hastening of the return of Jesus Christ. But most are simply attacking teens based on nothing but senseless uninformed dribble.

Make no mistake - conservative Christians, or anyone who attacks this science is an enemy of our generation.
Fight!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The level of hate and vitriol coming from Adults towards teens who are fighting against climate change - Fighting for our future and our children's future; This is the type of hate directed at us and especially those teens that are vocal:

Jeremy Clarkson says teen climate activist Greta Thunberg a 'spoilt brat' who makes him 'sick

https://7news.com.au/news/climate-c...erg-a-spoilt-brat-who-makes-him-sick-c-478936

Once again you will note there is no logic from adult antagonists - There's nothing said that quotes experts with requisite academic qualifications and a research background in Climate Science - Its all hate speech based on DRIBBLE.

Keep up the momentum - FIGHT!!!!

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Greta Thunberg fights back against the haters of teens against climate change.

Teen climate change activist Greta Thunberg is standing up to the haters, telling her millions of supporters to not waste their time “giving them anymore attention”.

The 16-year-old Swedish activist spoke at the United Nations Climate Action Summit in New York on Monday and told the world’s leaders they had “stolen my dreams and my childhood”.

The 16-year-old’s fierce speech was broadcast around the world, resonating with millions but also rubbing a lot of people the wrong way.

A number of commentators and politicians in Australia especially took offence to the speech, making Facebook banners calling for a “Greta Free Zone” and others labelling the teenager an “annoying little brat”.

Here we go again...
As you may have noticed, the haters are as active as ever - going after me, my looks, my clothes, my behaviour and my differences.
They come up with every thinkable lie and conspiracy theory. (Thread->) pic.twitter.com/5rS2VpZj00

— Greta Thunberg (@GretaThunberg) September 25, 2019
I honestly don’t understand why adults would choose to spend their time mocking and threatening teenagers and children for promoting science, when they could do something good instead. I guess they must simply feel so threatened by us. ->

— Greta Thunberg (@GretaThunberg) September 25, 2019
Ms Thunberg continued, “But don’t waste your time giving them any more attention.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Great thread Zoii!!!!

Did you participate in a rally? I went to one in Toronto. All across Canada schools and universities encouraged students to attend the rallies and there was an amazing turnout. We've already worked on ways to make improvements at our uni & around the city.

Ella helped to organize a rally in Cali the week b4 ours. I'll tag her so she can see this. Idk how I missed it! @Stanfordella

Greta is the GOAT!

• Optimistic
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Great thread Zoii!!!!

Did you participate in a rally? I went to one in Toronto. All across Canada schools and universities encouraged students to attend the rallies and there was an amazing turnout. We've already worked on ways to make improvements at our uni & around the city.

Ella helped to organize a rally in Cali the week b4 ours. I'll tag her so she can see this. Idk how I missed it! @Stanfordella

Greta is the GOAT!
Awesome - We have to see this as a fight for our existence. We have to understand that's there are many from older generations that will attack us - and they will do so on a personal level and not on actual climate research.

We have to continually focus on the fact that this is an existential crisis and that those who seek to thwart change are an enemy of our generation.

You and Ella are doing great - Keep spreading the word.

FIGHT!!!!!

• Friendly
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
An excellent report from the Australian Academy of Science that provides excellent educational tools and a concise summary of scientific consensus.

Summary | Australian Academy of Science

1 What is climate change?
The term ‘climate’, in its broadest sense, refers to a statistical description of weather and of the related conditions of oceans, land surfaces and ice sheets. This includes consideration of averages, variability and extremes. Climate change is an alteration in the pattern of climate over a long period of time, and may be due to a combination of natural and humaninduced causes.

2 How has climate changed?
Global climate has varied greatly throughout Earth’s history. In the final decades of the 20th century, the world experienced a rate of warming that is unprecedented for thousands of years, as far as we can tell from the available evidence. Global average temperature rise has been accompanied by ongoing rises in ocean temperatures, ocean heat storage, sea levels and atmospheric water vapour. There has also been shrinkage in the size of ice sheets and most glaciers. The recent slowdown in the rate of surface warming is mainly due to climate variability that has redistributed heat in the ocean, causing warming at depth and cooling of surface waters. Australia’s climate has warmed along with the global average warming.

3 Are human activities causing climate change?
Human activities are increasing greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere. This increase is extremely likely to have caused most of the recent observed global warming, with CO2 being the largest contributor. Some observed changes in Australia’s climate, including warming throughout the continent and drying trends in the southwest, have been linked to rising greenhouse gas concentrations.

4 How do we expect climate to evolve in the future?
If greenhouse gas emissions continue to grow rapidly, it is expected that, by 2100, the global average air temperature over the Earth’s surface will warm by around 4°C above mid-19th century temperatures. There are many likely ramifications of this warming. However, if emissions are reduced sufficiently rapidly, there is a chance that global average warming will not exceed 2°C and other impacts will be limited.

5 How are extreme events changing?
Since the mid-20th century, climate change has resulted in increases in the frequency and intensity of very hot days and decreases in very cold days. These trends will continue with further global warming. Heavy rainfall events have intensified over most land areas and will likely continue to do so, but changes are expected to vary by region.

6 How are sea levels changing?
Sea levels have risen during the 20th century. The two major contributing factors are the expansion of sea water as it warms, and the loss of ice from glaciers. Sea levels are very likely to rise more quickly during the 21st century than the 20th century, and will continue to rise for many centuries.

7 What are the impacts of climate change?
Climate change has impacts on ecosystems, coastal systems, fire regimes, food and water security, health, infrastructure and human security. Impacts on ecosystems and societies are already occurring around the world, including in Australia. The impacts will vary from one region to another and, in the short term, can be both positive and negative. In the future, the impacts of climate change will intensify and interact with other stresses. If greenhouse gas emissions continue to be high, it is likely that the human-induced component of climate change will exceed the capacity of some countries to adapt.

8 What are the uncertainties and their implications?
There is near-unanimous agreement among climate scientists that human-caused global warming is real. However, future climate change and its effects are hard to predict accurately or in detail, especially at regional and local levels. Many factors prevent more accurate predictions, and some uncertainty is likely to remain for considerable time. Uncertainty in climate science is no greater than in other areas where policy decisions are routinely taken to minimise risk. Also, the uncertainty means that the magnitude of future climate change could be either greater or less than present-day best estimates.

9 What does science say about options to address climate change?
Societies, including Australia, face choices about how to respond to the consequences of future climate change. Available strategies include reducing emissions, capturing CO2, adaptation and ‘geoengineering’. These strategies, which can be combined to some extent, carry different levels of environmental risk and different societal consequences. The role of climate science is to inform decisions by providing the best possible knowledge of climate outcomes and the consequences of alternative courses of action.

Upvote 0