✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello all,

I believe that children salvation is a topic that is seldom really examined. It is vital to understanding the love of God and His grace and to see what scripture says in this matter will shatter many false doctrines of men and their errors.

When I speak of all infants being saved as they are born by the grace of God through Jesus death on the cross for sin. I by no means am speaking of that horrible heresy of universalism that all men will be saved one day. Even though a child is saved until they hate the light and until they have sin revive and they die, they can still end up in hell and the lake of fire in the end if they do not believe.

If all children are saved once by the grace of God through Christ death on the cross for the sin of the whole world. This shatters Calvinism also, and many of their points. If all children are saved when born then all are the elect and all are like sheep . This shatters the election view of many. If they are saved when born this also shows that the gospel is for all men not just a select few and so shatters limited atonement of the calvinist. If all children are saved when born and then they die spiritually and end up one day going to hell. This shatters the eternal security and perserverance of the saints view in Calavinsm.

Now to consider what scripture says.

Paul said

"...For without the law sin was dead. 9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." (Romans 7:8,9 KJV)

I , as some commentators of the past see this as Paul speaking of his infancy and childhood, when he was "without the law once". This being without the law is in a state of ignorance, and in ignorance God winks ( verse). Paul also said he was "alive" in this state. Now he is not talking about physical life here as we see, for he then says. "when the commandment came, sin revived and I died" Here we see that the commandment came to his understanding and he knew what was said. Then when this happened sin took occassion by the commandment and he died. (spiritually) . We know that Paul did not die physically in this event, so he is speaking of spiritual death.

Paul had just told us that he was "alive once", and then he "died". This shows that a child is alive (spiritually) once and then they die "(spiritually ) at a certain time. The time when they die is when "sin revives". To say sin revives, must mean that his sin nature revived and was provoked by the law. For sin taking occasion by the commandment slew him.

This is telling here. We see that if Paul as a child was in ignorance of the law and he was alive once without it. Then this must also be the state of all infants who are in ignorance of the law and alive without it as well. By law I mean in this case the Mosaic law that Paul refers to. But we know that the gentiles also have the work of the law written in their hearts Romans 2. And the true Light lighteth every man that cometh into the world John 1:9

But what is interesting also here in Pauls words is that without the law sin is dead. Paul also said in the same book,

"
Romans 4:15
Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression."

" sin is not imputed when there is no law." ( romans 5:13 KJV)

So when paul was "without the law", sin was not imputed to him and there was no transgression.

Jesus said of the little young infant children,

Mark 10:13,14
13 And they brought young children to him...But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God."

" And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."(Matthew 18:3-6 KJV)

Some call this the "age of accountability" when a child knows the law and is able to see his sin.

Jesus speaks of when men are condemned, and he says,

9 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God." (John 3:19-21 KJV)

Notice that when men hate the light then are they condemned, (not before that) they are not condemned from some predestined condemnation before they hate the light. It is when they hate the light they are condemned. So until they hate the light they are in the light and not condemned, as all infants are. The true Light lighteth every man that cometh into the world, John 1:9. And until a child does evil, they do not have sin imputed to them and so are saved. But when they hate the light, or the light that comes to their understanding and heart, then they are condemned as paul said when sin revives and when the commandment comes ( to their understanding) then he died.
Children do not know good and evil when infants, adn so their deeds are not evil. They have not worked iniquity yet,

"
Deuteronomy 1:39
Moreover your little ones, which ye said should be a prey, and your children, which in that day had no knowledge between good and evil, they shall go in thither, and unto them will I give it, and they shall possess it."

God allowed the "little ones" to go into the land. They had no knowledge of "good and evil". This is very telling. And as we have been reading until sin revives and they know what is good and evil, they do not sin by transgression of a known law.

And yes, all children are born in sin, or in a sin nature, and so all need jesus to die for them. Jesus died for the sin of the whole world. Even children. Gods grace saves them

In the law we read of two offerings for sin, the "sin offering", and the "trespass offering". The sin offering seems to be more of a offering for the sin nature of man, and the tresspass offering for actual transgressions. But I can expound on this if need be. The point is that Jesu died for the sin of all men, being the sin nature, and the actual transgressions of men need to be repented of. Paul said that where no law is there is no transgression. and sin is not imputed where there is no law. We also read that to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not to him it is sin. And a child does not know their left hand from their right and they are only condemned when they hate the light and when sin revives and they die. So they are saved in Christ until them, by His death for them.

And so let all false doctrines and calvinism fall to the ground and see Gods mercy and love to all.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMissingRib

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟220,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If all children are saved once by the grace of God through Christ death on the cross for the sin of the whole world. This shatters Calvinism
Actually it's a very Calvinist position. You're saying that all those who die young are among the Elect. Nothing to worry a Calvinist there. Their position is that the Elect are such by God's grace. You're simply applying that Calvinist view to all children.

I think instead of beating them, you've joined them.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually it's a very Calvinist position. You're saying that all those who die young are among the Elect. Nothing to worry a Calvinist there. Their position is that the Elect are such by God's grace. You're simply applying that Calvinist view to all children.

No I'm saying as scripture does, that all men are saved once and all were the elect once , even those who end up in hell

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟17,755.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
"Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." [Psalm 51:5]

"The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth, speaking lies." [Psalm 58:3-6]

"Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him." [Proverbs 22:15]

"And when the Lord smelled the pleasing aroma, the Lord said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done." [Genesis 8:21]

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." [Psalm 51:5]

"The wicked are estranged from the womb; they go astray from birth, speaking lies." [Psalm 58:3-6]

"Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline drives it far from him." [Proverbs 22:15]

"And when the Lord smelled the pleasing aroma, the Lord said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man's heart is evil from his youth. Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done." [Genesis 8:21]
Yes, I believe I already dealt with that . All those who come into the world need a saviour and all have a sin nature . But Jesus died for infants also and until they hate the light because their deeds are evil and until sin revives, they are "Alive" spiritually , as PUl said . Only when "sin revived" are they dead spiritually

Maybe re read my post again

And does a child literally speak lies from the womb? No, but they fall short of the glory of God being in a sin nature so they speak in some way . Yet they are still in a state where son is not revived until they have the commandment. Come to thier mind and until they hate the light

Last edited:
Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Calvinism is far worse than that woman killing her children ( as wicked and damnable as that was). Calvinism says that God damns most people to hell without them even hating the light or having any choice to believe or not. Calvinism says that Christ died only for a small few. And not for all the others who he will damn forever in hell.
I agree 1000%. Although I find Calavanism to be far more Scriptural than Arminianism, I do have to agree that it is far worse in perspective of what the Gospel means.
curious are you a "Universalist"?
Of course I am my friend.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Somehow I missed that verse. Citation, please?

"For without the law sin was dead. 9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died."( Romans 7:*,9 KJV)

a child is alive ( spiritually) once then when sin revives ( their sin nature) they die spirtually. So if they are alive once and saved by the grace of God and Christ died for the sin of the whole world. Then they were also the elect once and truly all we like sheep have gone astray. Yes that verse may be specifically speaking of Israel, but Jesus did say he had sheep not of that fold. All were once like sheep.

also we read

Mark 10:13,14
13 And they brought young children to him...But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God."

" And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."(Matthew 18:3-6 KJV)

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Here's another good scripture about all once sheep and then some will be lost

Isaiah 53:6
All we like sheep have gone astray..."

So ALL were as sheep and yet some sheep are called lost sheep by Jesus and he warns them of the dangers of hell

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

No I am saying that all infants who came into the world are saved by the grace of God. That would include all adults who end up going to hell one day. They once had salvation and were elect. this shatters many points of Calvinism. Not joining Calvinism

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Romans 7:9 and in John 3 jesus tells the reason for the condemnation. It is when men love darkness rather than light because their deeds are evil. A infant hasn't done any good or evil yet until sin revives ( the sin nature) and they die ( spiritually not physically in this context). And so where no law is there is no transgression, and sin is not imputed where there is no law. So all infants are saved and in the Light until they hate the light and have sin revive

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

We need Hedrick here to explain more, but John Calvin taught that unbaptized children were blessed by God and therefore, if they died young it was obviously because they were the elect.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We need Hedrick here to explain more, but John Calvin taught that unbaptized children were blessed by God and therefore, if they died young it was obviously because they were the elect.
That view of calvin is not fully accurate. They are the elect as all infants at that stage would be. Paul draws this out and jesus when Paul says the commandment came sin revived and he died Romans 7:9. Paul in the end died as the elect. But he died spiritually once as a infant .

If Paul was alive once (must be speaking of spiritual life) and died when sin revived ( must be speaking of spiritual death because he was still physically alive when he referred to this in the past) then this shows his condition as all is alive in Christ in the Light by the grace of God that bright salvation and that has appeared unto all men. True Gd is the saviour of all men as we can see especially of them that believe. This is not universalism, for many will reject Christ and hate the Light and be condemned forever . It shows God's mercy upon all and the free gift ( the seed Light truth ) given to all men through the death of Jesus Christ in time.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes every child has a sin nature and needs a saviour. Jesus died for them also. But that sin is in a dormant state or like a coma state, Paul says when the commandment came( or when light came to his understanding) sin revived and he died. This death was brought on by his sin reviving, which is to say his sin nature revived.

Does a baby speak? doe sit understand its left and right hand? Does God not wink in times of ignorance, and where no law is there is no transgression. Did Not God;s grace cover that infant? Did not jesus bless the infants and say of little children of such is the kingdom of God and their angels do always behold his Father.

They speak lies because in their fallen state they fall short of the glory of God and have a sin nature. Their very being speaks as does every ting else in the universe,

Psalm 19:2
"Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge."

Same answer as above and the folly is only active or revived when they understand the commandment or the Light that reproves all things inwardly and they are only condemned when they hate the light, not before. John 3/ Jesus rebuked the idea that some are condemned when born and never have a chance to be saved, or that salvation is limited.

Yes all are born with a sin nature. But it is not revived until what some call, the age of accountability. Where no law is there is no transgression and sin is not imputed where there is no law. To him that knoweth to do good and doth it not to him it is sin. A child knows not his right hand from his left in infancy. Jesus blessed the infants not cursed them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
No I am saying that all infants who came into the world are saved by the grace of God. That would include all adults who end up going to hell one day. They once had salvation and were elect. this shatters many points of Calvinism. Not joining Calvinism

Nope, in Calvinism you are either elected from eternity past, or you are not. It can't change.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nope, in Calvinism you are either elected from eternity past, or you are not. It can't change.
Thats their error

consider the elect angels who were created as Satan was perfect in all their ays until iniquity was found in them. They were in the Light and in life with God and the ones that sinned will end up in the lake of fire. They are a warning to all believers as peter uses them this way also.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thats their error

consider the elect angels who were created as Satan was perfect in all their ays until iniquity was found in them. They were in the Light and in life with God and the ones that sinned will end up in the lake of fire. They are a warning to all believers as peter uses them this way also.

Why do you think God creates those He knows will never believe?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟166,441.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do you think God creates those He knows will never believe?
He is a good God thats why and gives life and possibility to all his creation and wants to have fellowship with them.

Also, like Judas who was loved by Jesus and a familyar friend who later betrayed him. He gave him all the opportunity. While Judas was a sheep sent to the lost sheep Jesus was sincere in his love to him. But God created beings not to be roots and gave them a choice to willingly be with Him or not.

Why did he create Lucifer who eventually sinned and will be headed for the lake of fire? But who once was with God loved and perfect in all his ways.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

I don't think that Calvin actually taught the doctrine of Election that later generations of Calvinists taught. I read Calvin's Institutes of Religion and he was not as definite in the doctrine of Election as some of his disciples were. It follows the principle of a copy of the original is not as clear as the original; and a copy of a copy is fuzzier still. I think that this is what has happened to Calvinism through successive generations who "copied" the original doctrine in their teaching.

I believe that babies, infants and very young children are saved because of the grace and mercy of God. We don't know what happens in eternity. Peter talks about Jesus going to "those in prison" to tell them about Him. One commentator says that He went to those who died in and before the Flood. We cannot know whether these infants turn into adults in eternity and whether Jesus presents Himself as Saviour to them so they can believe on Him. There is no proof of that in Scripture, so we can only make an assumption based on God's merciful and gracious nature and that He is just in His dealings.

Calvin never taught Reprobation - that people were condemned automatically to Hell because they were not part of the Elect. He taught that people perished because they refused to believe on Christ, and was what made them reprobates. Conversely those who believe on Christ are the Elect because of their choice. God, in His foreknowledge knows who is going to accept Christ and who is not.

Because, as Paul says, we know "in part", we don't have full knowledge of His ways. All we have through Scripture is enough for us to know how to be saved in Christ, and that the invitation is open to all.

How God knows from the foundation of the world who is going to be saved and who is going to perish, we can never know, and we will always get sucked into the theological vortex every time we try to know the unknowable (to us anyway).

Upvote 0