✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
From the article:

"While Norway’s defenders might point to this outcome as evidence that its system worked, Peter Costea, a Texas civil rights attorney who donated hundreds of pro bono hours to the case, vehemently disagrees. “The Norwegian system did not work,” he told me. “But for the international pressure on Norway, the children would not be home with their parents today. They would still be where they were back in November. I’m 101 percent certain of that.”

Costea believes the County Social Welfare Board was likely influenced by an international attorney petition recently submitted to Norway’s prime minister. Signed by more than 100 lawyers and law professors from around the world and members of European Parliament, the petition detailed Barnevernet’s “grievous breaches of domestic and international law,” calling on the prime minister to intervene. This created a stir in the Norwegian media and among government leaders."

It's crazy that all of this was supposedly over spanking, but also possibly religious discrimination as well.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am curious how this case continues.
According to the article it won't continue. Since CPS dropped the case instead of being ruled against, it is unappealable. Sounds like the equivalent of "dismissed with prejudice" in American law. The children should all be returned home by the end of the month; some of them are finishing out the school year with the foster families.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟488,914.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
According to the article it won't continue. Since CPS dropped the case instead of being ruled against, it is unappealable. Sounds like the equivalent of "dismissed with prejudice" in American law. The children should all be returned home by the end of the month; some of them are finishing out the school year with the foster families.
Maybe we will not hear from this ever again. Maybe there will be new actions taken against them in light of new allegations.

I hope that those children will be treated well and everything is peachy, but I wouldn't be surprised if things got complicated again.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,339,553.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Maybe we will not hear from this ever again. Maybe there will be new actions taken against them in light of new allegations.

My understanding was that there were no allegations except that the parents spanked the children. While that is illegal under Norwegian Law, that's an awful stretch to then say "therefore we are taking all of your children, separating them into different foster families, and are going to terminate your parental rights, all outside the Norwegian judicial system and without giving you due process to contest us." Apparently, CPS' actions were contrary to European and international law regarding due process, and the efforts to reign them in will continue by the various entities.

I hope that those children will be treated well and everything is peachy, but I wouldn't be surprised if things got complicated again.
There was never any evidence or allegation that the children were not treated well. Not that I'm aware of. Only that they were subjected to physical discipline.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟816,690.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well that is a massive relief and an answered prayer also. It is good to see that the Norwegian government is not as stupid as the CPS in that country but I see this as the beginning of a process that if successful should seriously curtail the powers of secretive secular organisations to kidnap children and break up families.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's the outcome many people - including those who believed that it was justifiable for the children to be removed from their parents for the allegations to be properly investigated - have hoped for, and I wish the best for them. The ideal is reunification when there is more confidence that the children will not be in jeopardy. In the article I read about this, the parents will be required to continue to cooperate with officials and demonstrate that they are providing a loving and stable environment, so safeguards are still in place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That's the outcome many people - including those who believed that it was justifiable for the children to be removed from their parents for the allegations to be properly investigated - have hoped for, and I wish the best for them. The ideal is reunification when there is more confidence that the children will not be in jeopardy. In the article I read about this, the parents will be required to continue to cooperate with officials and demonstrate that they are providing a loving and stable environment, so safeguards are still in place.
Perhaps you missed some key points from the article:
  • Despite medical exams and interviews with family members, doctors, and neighbors, Barnevernet was unable to find any evidence of abuse. Still, the children were split up among three foster homes, where they stayed for months with minimal parental contact.
  • In many cases, like in Marius and Ruth’s, Barnevernet never even bothered to offer counseling or services designed to keep the family together.
  • While Norway defended itself in the press, the Bodnarius’ infant son, Ezekiel, was quietly returned to his parents this April. Still, the local CPS pushed forward with its plan to declare the four older children permanent wards of the state.
  • Finally, on Friday, Barnevernet got the hint that the board would likely rule against them. They agreed to drop the case, relinquishing their object of keeping the Bodnariu children in foster care until adulthood. Some of the children will finish out the school year in their foster homes, but the family will be fully reunited by mid-June.

There was no intent to return these children.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Perhaps you missed some key points from the article:
  • Despite medical exams and interviews with family members, doctors, and neighbors, Barnevernet was unable to find any evidence of abuse. Still, the children were split up among three foster homes, where they stayed for months with minimal parental contact.
  • In many cases, like in Marius and Ruth’s, Barnevernet never even bothered to offer counseling or services designed to keep the family together.
  • While Norway defended itself in the press, the Bodnarius’ infant son, Ezekiel, was quietly returned to his parents this April. Still, the local CPS pushed forward with its plan to declare the four older children permanent wards of the state.
  • Finally, on Friday, Barnevernet got the hint that the board would likely rule against them. They agreed to drop the case, relinquishing their object of keeping the Bodnariu children in foster care until adulthood. Some of the children will finish out the school year in their foster homes, but the family will be fully reunited by mid-June.

There was no intent to return these children.

I diplomatically explained this previously, but am editing to try again with even more delicacy. ----

In the vehement discussions about this specific topic there have been numerous articles and blogs posted on this forum that are acutely slanted, misleading, and even patently false, which has lead to wariness. I've also witnessed how entire threads can become askew due to an article in the OP that contained erroneous, demonstrably incorrect statements. This does not mean the veracity of the poster is in question; the fault lies with carelessness of the writer.

I deliberately missed the entire article the OP posted, instead gathering information from a reputable Norwegian source that presented the facts, rather than emotion-fueled opinions. As I explained in my post, the article that I read stated the parents will be cooperating with officials to ensure that a stable home environment is provided for the children. As it has been previously explained, the full details about this private family matter are not publicly available, and therefore we who are not privy to that crucial information cannot claim that there was never justifiable reason for the children to be removed. Again, I'm genuinely happy the family has been reunited; that in the ideal. Your post doesn't in any form refute mine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've never posted anything that wasn't untrue. <staff edit>

This family doesn't need to cooperate with CPS except to get their children back after finishing schools. After that, they are FREE. And I hope they move out of Norway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've never posted anything that wasn't untrue. <staff edit>

This family doesn't need to cooperate with CPS except to get their children back after finishing schools. After that, they are FREE. And I hope they move out of Norway.

It's not a matter of opinion or personal persuasion, but fact that articles and blog sites previously posted in threads about this topic have contained incorrect and misleading information. *To clarify* - I never stated or implied that what you have personally written is untrue, but that the articles used to seed threads in the past have contained information later proved to be demonstrably false and misleading.

I understand that it is your opinion, and that of others, that this family doesn't need to cooperate with Child Welfare Services in Norway in Naustdal Municipality. Those who are actively involved in this matter have, however, decided that provisions will be put into place. According to a statement released to the public, the parents have agreed to cooperate with officials to create a safe and stable home environment. I do hope the best for all of them.

- Edited to try to be even more diplomatic and provide clarification. -

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
<staff edit> It's not a matter of opinion or personal persuasion, but fact that they were inaccurate. <staff edit> those who are actually involved with the family have decided that provisions need to be in place. The parents have apparently agreed to cooperate with officials. I do hope the best for all of them.

<staff edit>
There aren't "provisions", other than waiting until the older children are done with school. This case was dismissed, and they can't be hit up again on this. CPS needs to go find another family to bully around - maybe they'll finally find a family that is actually having issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ada Lovelace

Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
<staff edit>

There aren't "provisions", other than waiting until the older children are done with school. This case was dismissed, and they can't be hit up again on this. CPS needs to go find another family to bully around - maybe they'll finally find a family that is actually having issues.

I've simply posted facts in this thread, with the only emotion expressed being hopeful wishes for the family. To paraphrase what I read on a Norwegian new site : under an agreement announced on Friday, the parents will have their children returned, but will have to continue to cooperate with local officials to create a stable and safe environment for the family. The Minster of Children and Equality stated that she was glad the Bodnarius have come to an agreement Barnevernet, and that the children are reunited with their parents.

Yes, there are provisions in place. This isn't a fact based on opinions or subject to interpretation.

Edit - All of my posts were fact-based, and void of any personal criticism or defamatory commentary towards anyone, but I do apologize if they were misconstrued. I always try to be diplomatic with everyone but will use extra care moving forward.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's the outcome many people - including those who believed that it was justifiable for the children to be removed from their parents for the allegations to be properly investigated - have hoped for,
Is that a fact?

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
More on the Barnevernet (Norwegian Child Protective Services)...

https://pleasefreethekids.wordpress...rnet-the-child-protection-services-of-norway/

Excerpt from the article: But the couple’s happiness was short lived when their children were forcibly taken under protective custody by Barnevernet, the Norwegian Child Welfare Services. The reason for this force protection was shown by Barnevernet as incapability of taking proper care of the children by the parents. And what was the basis of such accusation? The Barnevernet had observed that Mrs. Bhattacharya used to feed her children by her hand. That, as per The Child Welfare Services is force feeding. Also, she used to breast feed her four months year old daughter which again was not permitted. Thirdly, the three year old son used to sleep with his father on the same bed. This is not again permitted since, as per govt. regulations, the children should sleep in a separate room from their parents. And of course, Barnevernet officials have observed that four months old Aishwariya looks up on the faces of others rather than her mother which surely indicates, as per them, that the mother is incapable of taking proper care of the infant. On May 11, 2011 , Abhigyan was picked up from his Kindergarten unbeknown to his parents whereas, Aiswariya was forcibly taken into custody from her mother from their residence. They are to be kept in Norwegian Govt. custody through care homes or foster parents till they are 18. The parents can meet their children only twice a year till they are adults.

Upvote 0