I live to protect the flock...
May 25, 2006
Where, in what sense?
✟13,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A single tower thrust into the cloudless sky, its marble surface glowing radiant white in the afternoon sun. Around the tower the well-kept lawns lay at repose, comfortable in their spring garment of freshly planted gardens. The trees in the orchards, just now bursting into blossom, cast lazy shadows beneath their long branches. In the still air a bell rang suddenly, high and clarion. The sound rolled over the lawns like a wave; its note peaked and dwindled away with the same sharpness as it had come.

Seated with his back against a rather large apple tree, Tuan heard the bell and let out the breath he’d been holding. The bell meant salvation to him; it meant lunchtime, mostly, but it also meant the game was over. He got to his feet and stretched to get the knots out of stiff muscles, then turned and yelled across the garden. “I win!”

At first, no one answered. Then a tall figure emerged from the trees on the other side and made its way towards him, stepping over rows of budding cabbages and carrots, potatoes and turnips, and the like. As it drew nearer, Tuan could see the oblong face, high cheekbones, and blonde hair of his best friend.

“Hey, Maurus!” he said. “You lose. Now who’s the smart one?”

Maurus’ steel-gray eyes shone. Reaching Tuan, he stood over the shorter boy and folded his arms, looking down from his greater height. He wore a sardonic grin. “You think that’s real hiding? You didn’t even play. You just went where you knew I wouldn’t look.”

“That’s the point, isn’t it?” The lunchtime bell had been the signal to end the two boys’ game of hide-and–seek. It was a game they’d played since they were little, and Maurus never aadmitted that Tuan was better at it. Tuan turned and started to walk towards the tower. “Let’s get going. Nan will kill us if we’re late to lunch.”

LightofHeaven

Reborn
May 31, 2007
In a house. You?
✟12,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Haven lay on his back with his hands behind his head; grass tickling his exposed skin. He stared up at a brilliant blue sky, bvare of clouds,, wondering how long it would take Maurus to find Tuan in this game of hide-and-seek. A minute? An hour? Maybe he wouldn't find Tuan at all before lunchtime, because Tuan always knew where to hide.

A figure appeared next to him, blocking the sunlight and casting a shadow over him.

Haven blinked, squinting up at the figure, recognizing the face of the middle aged man immediately. "Sialan."

Sialan grinned, green eyes gazing down the length of his thick- muscled body at the young boy lying at his feet. "Lost already?" You must've picked an easy spot."

Haven sat up, brushing grass from his hair. "I think Maurus cheated," he said. "but I took it anyway."

Before anyone could say another word, a bell rang; loud and clear. It's notes reverberating through the gardens and nearby forests, sending birds into flight. Sialan reached down and ruffled Haven's hair. "That signals lunchtime." he said, turning toward the citadel's front doors. "After that, maybe I'll teach you kiddos a new game."

"Okay." Haven said Getting to his feet, he followed Sialan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Fire Of Zion

Something deep inside keeps my Faith alive.
Nov 16, 2003
the world of Facebook
Visit site
✟11,615.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
"Tell me where Roke is. I know you can sense him!"

"Jezz, no!" He grabbed her shoulders fiercely, meaning only to plead with her. In doing so, he had her up against the wall, and a decorative spire protruding from it cracked the bone and tore its way through her chest so the tip was now poking out between her breasts. He recoiled in horror, crying, "Oh God!"

Puzzled, she looked down at the apparent wound and laughed. "Dev, you're behaving like such a...human." She laughed again at the word when she found it, and pulled herself forward. The muscles and flesh began to knit themselves together so her body became flawless as the spire exited her, and she took on her true shadowed appearance. As she drew closer to him, her dark sneer taunted his newfound emotions, and her crimson eyes mesmerized him ad held him in place. "It's no use. You cannot betray your own kind no matter how hard you try. Despite your newly beating heart, you belong with us." Her slender but deceivingly strong fingers wrapped around his neck. "And when I find Roke and take his heart for my own, you and I shall rule together. We are the strongest, the ones who can take form, the ones the priestess will--"

The abrupt ringing of the lunchtime bell jolted Ariadne from her world. Only now, back in reality, was she aware of her face inches from the old book cradled in her hands and the heavy pounding of her heart. The world of shadows and redemption, of supernatural love and fate was gone, and she was back in the only sanctuary she knew, the only reality she knew. The old walls of her nook of the Sanctuary were very real, the cold of the stone pressed against her back, and the softness of the pillow beneath her to protect her from becoming sore from the flat, hard ground. The window was open, letting in the fresh air and rustling the pages of her book.

With an irritated sigh, one hand snapped the book shut and threw it down next to her, and then she wrapped both hands around her long onyx hair. Stupid heart, stupid good book... Stupid bell. The following growl of her stomach seemed to disagree, as if to say it thought very highly of the bell that notified them when food was served. Her pavlovian mouth took her stomach's side. Stupid body.

With a mournful glance at the book that only an avid reader being torn away could ever portray, the young woman brought herself to her feet and made her way to join the others for a much-welcomed lunch, her storybook mind already writing the day in the back of her thoughts. While she knew the rules dictated by their keeper, an insurpressable part of her feminine hormones hoped her gray eyes could steal a glance at the attractive delivery boy.

Upvote 0

K9Guardian

May 25, 2006
Where, in what sense?
✟13,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Petra rubbed her temples and frowned down at the table. The stack of paper in front of her looked back, the top sheet a smooth white wall of blankness that mirrored her mind perfectly. Any minute now, the bell was going to ring for lunch, and she would have nothing to show for her disobedience. Again.

With a sigh, she picked up her quill and took a deep breath to steady her racing mind. Books covered the rest of the table, placed in neat piles one atop the other in order of relevance. The air had a not-unpleasant musty smell that came from the shelves and shelves of old and possibly ancient books lining the walls of the Sanctuary’s library. The books spoke to Petra, offering her their wisdom and support, reminding her of all the secrets they’d taught her. She took in another breath. The walls of books closed in around her. Her universe. Secure and safe.

But the books couldn’t protect her from an unfinished assignment, or her nagging conscience.

It had seemed like such a good idea, listening to Ariadne spin it. The other girl’s logic was simple; since everyone playing the game was supposed to be hiding, who would notice that the girls weren’t even outside? That way, they could sneak away and leave the boys to stalk each other in their silly game. Petra could come to the library to work on her schooling, and Ariadne could do whatever Ariadne did when no one was watching. Considering that Petra had fallen uncharacteristically behind on assignments lately, it had sounded wonderful.

Yet, as Petra sat here agonizing, unable to eke out a single sentence even after all her painstaking research, guilt began to creep in like spidery tendrils. As much as she hated the games Nunk Sialan had made them play for as long as she could remember, they were the rules. And as lunchtime drew nearer, it looked like Petra was going to be left with nothing to show for breaking the rules. Unthinkable!

She bent over the table and touched the tip of the quill to the paper. Her long, yellow-blonde hair swung down to either side of her field of vision, making curtains to decorate the nightmarish vision she knew was about to unfold before her eyes. Trying to ignore the knot in her stomach, she began to write:

In AF 1356, civil war erupted in the empire of Dhanastra. The Dhanastran king, Jadir, had commissioned an order of clergymen to establish a single religious ideology that could unite the various cults and ethnicities that comprised the collective spiritual orientation of the empire’s early days. To create this order, Jadir had his chief advisor divide all the various cults into twelve major sects, and appointed one high priest to each sect, charging them with the task of compromising their differences. Not long thereafter, the order broke apart in rivalries and maneuvering, sending ripples of unrest through Dhanastra. To complicate matters, Jadir’s wife Queen Rawna –

Petra stopped to think. What was it Rawna had wanted? Oh, yes… but she’d better check to be sure. She put down the quill and reached for a book.

The bell rang.

Petra froze, then let her hand fall to the table with a thump. Would she be able to look Ariadne in the eye ever again, after this?

Upvote 0

K9Guardian

May 25, 2006
Where, in what sense?
✟13,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tuan reached the steps leading up to the citadel and began the gentle climb to the entrance. Nan Jasna waited for him on the top step, framed by the huge arched doors behind her. When he drew near, her black brows lowered and she said, “Where is Maurus?”

“Huh? He’s right here.” Tuan gestured behind him. Seeing Nan’s skeptical look, he turned on the steps to see for himself. “Hey, I thought he was right here! Maurus! Maurus! Where’d you go?”

The front lawn appeared empty, though the trees blocked much of the view. Nan shook her head. A tall woman in her late thirties, Jasna still vibrated with physical vigor. The only signs that she had been a mother figure to Tuan and the others for more than seventeen years were the barely perceptible lines that marred the corners of her dark eyes. Now she smiled a grim but placid smile. “Maurus is a troublemaker. I will teach him responsibility one day. Go to the dining hall, Tuan.”

Feeling a little dejected, Tuan obeyed, walking past Nan. Everybody knew Maurus was strange. He liked to disappear at random, and no one knew where he went. He was also always getting on the wrong side of Nan, who called him her “gray hair.” But to just slip off on Tuan – his best friend – like that…

Tuan pushed open one of the doors and entered the Sanctuary. Inside, the entry chamber was cool and dim. He let his eyes adjust to the change of light, then proceeded to make his way to the dining hall.

Turning the corner into the hallway just outside his destination, Tuan caught sight of Ariadne ahead of him, apparently also bound for the dining hall. He followed her, deciding to wait till they ended their short journey before he made his presence known.

Upvote 0

LightofHeaven

Reborn
May 31, 2007
In a house. You?
✟12,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nan Jasna stood waiting at the top of the stairs. Haven samiled at her and Sialan exchanged a wink in passing. The two continued up the short path from the steps to the citadel's front doors.

Beyond those doors lie Sanctuary. The place Haven had lived for seventeen years.

Halfway to the doors, they heard shouts behind them, Haven and Sialan glanced back. Tuan stood a short way down the path, calling out to Maurus who was nowhere to be seen. A disappointed-looking Jasna stood neshaking her head.

It didn't surprise Haven that something was up with Maurus. He was an odd one. Everyone in the citadel knew that. Haven turned to Sialan. "What do you think it is this time?"

Sialan shrugged. "Double trouble for sure."

Haven nodded. Causing trouble and being in trouble were two different things. The former leading to the latter; which could be said in two words: double trouble.

They reached the huge archeed doors leading into the citadel. Sialan pushewd one open and let Haven pass into the dim entry chamber. "Go on ahead. Gotta check on your Nanny." Sialan said, closing the door behind Haven.

Blinking in the dimness, Haven made his way to the dining hall alone.

Upvote 0

K9Guardian

May 25, 2006
Where, in what sense?
✟13,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tuan entered the dining hall and went to sit at the far end of the long table, across from Haven. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Ariadne slip into her usual spot opposite Petra, who seemed to be studying her plate intently.

Knowing it would be a few minutes before Nan brought in the food, Tuan picked up the crystal goblet next to his plate. The water inside the goblet glittered in the lantern light. He took a swig and said to Haven, “So, hey buddy… did Maurus or anybody tell you about the horseman that was here this morning?”

Upvote 0

LightofHeaven

Reborn
May 31, 2007
In a house. You?
✟12,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Haven sat at the far end of the long dining room table, watching the other residents of Sanctuary enter the room and take their seats. The crisp scent of food drifting in from the kitchen made his stomach rumble.

Tuan, a black-haired boy older than Haven, sat across the table. He took a sip from his goblet, then spoke. "So, hey buddy… did Maurus or anybody tell you about the horseman that was here this morning?”

Haven shook his head. "No. I was writing."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

K9Guardian

May 25, 2006
Where, in what sense?
✟13,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Oh,, I see." Tuan shrugged. That was Haven's business. "So I was heading out hunting with Maurus and Nunk this morning. It was all foggy out, and this guy on a horse just pops up out of nowhere. He had a beard." He took another drink of water and grinned. "Pretty cool. I think he came to see the old man. Not like we'll get to talk to him, but he's still here. Probably up in the guest quarters."

Upvote 0

K9Guardian

May 25, 2006
Where, in what sense?
✟13,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tuan entered the dining hall and went to sit at the far end of the long table, across from Haven. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Ariadne slip into her usual spot opposite Petra, who seemed to be studying her plate intently.

Knowing it would be a few minutes before Nan brought in the food, Tuan picked up the crystal goblet next to his plate. The water inside the goblet glittered in the lantern light. He took a swig and said to Haven, “So, hey buddy… did Maurus or anybody tell you about the horseman that was here this morning?”

Haven shook his head. "No. I was writing."

"Writing what?"

Haven hesitated. "Dream journal."

"Oh,, I see." Tuan shrugged. That was Haven's business. "So I was heading out hunting with Maurus and Nunk this morning. It was all foggy out, and this guy on a horse just pops up out of nowhere. He had a beard." He took another drink of water and grinned. "Pretty cool. I think he came to see the old man. Not like we'll get to talk to him, but he's still here. Probably up in the guest quarters."

Haven imagined a bearded horseman gallloping through the fog. He wondered what it would be likie to meet him. "Interesting."

There was a tap-tap-tapping sound on the floor of the dining hall. Tuan turned in his seat to see the old man shuffle into the room. The Keeper leaned heavily on his staff as if it were a third leg, but though he was very old, the eyes looking out from amidst a mass of wrinkles were a clear, penetrating blue. He moved to the head of the table and stood surveying them all with a toothless smile that caused his face to crumple up like some of Petra’s throwaway paper. But when the Keeper’s eyes swept over him, Tuan felt a cold tingle creep through his spine. As usual, he couldn’t quite make himself meet that unblinking gaze.

The Keeper addressed each of them in turn. “Ah, my children. You all look hungry this afternoon. Tuan, Haven, did you enjoy the game? Ariadne, Petra… hmm… I sense that you two had an interesting time.” He winked as if he knew something. Petra seemed to sink lower in her chair. “Is Maurus late again? That young man has an independent soul, bless his heart… “

“Independent soul or no, it’ll be extra chores and a scolding when I get my hands on him,” Jasna entered the dining hall and set a steaming pot in the middle of the table. “Help yourselves. It will be time for a History lesson after you eat.” To the Keeper, she remarked, “Perhaps it is time to put Maurus’ feet to the fire.” Then she left to get more food.

Tuan looked at Haven. “Something tells me we’re gonna get some of what he gets.”

Upvote 0

LightofHeaven

Reborn
May 31, 2007
In a house. You?
✟12,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Haven didn't answer. He picked up a small empty bowl and stood, moiving over to the steaming pot, peering in. Veggie soup.

Well, Maurus won't be getting any of this. Haven thought. Even if he did, it would probably be cold by the time he got here. Haven spooned some of the soup into his bowl; setting it beside his plate. He turned to the Keeper. "Grandpa...can I help you?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sylvengard

The Bard of Many Tales
Dec 28, 2006
Mesa, Arizona.
✟19,389.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Robert was late.

The bell had rung just five minutes ago, but it seemed like forever to him as he ran. Wind in his wavy hair, he slowed to an awkward stagger as he adjusted the book under his arm, finally resorting to holding it to avoid dropping it. Dropping it would only make him more late, and he hoped that no one would be mad at him.

Who was he kidding? No one would be mad at him. Everyone adored him. They loved his riddles and his jokes and his suave manner. Of course, not everyone liked him, but in a place with so few people, he could only take what he could get. Alyssa told him to try to make friends now that he was old enough to act as an adult would and be mature in his speech, but he still had not convinced himself that friends would be all that useful. People loved him, but he did not necessarily love them.

The Sanctuary was familiar to him after all these years, and he ran through its elegant halls without thinking, memory guiding him to the place where lunch would be served, per usual. The dining hall - thank the gods - was still open, its doors a standing portal into an ornate eating chamber displaying its long table. Not suprisingly, the children were already all there, as far as he could tell. Faint excitement began to rise in his heart, crashing suddenly when the Keeper's back came into view at last. Related to some, if not most of the children, he shared no blood with Robert Erikson. Under which circumstances he had come to be here were still a mystery, something the Keeper preferred not to speak about.

He wondered where Alyssa was, but he knew that she was probably hiding somewhere, away from the servants, the Keeper, and the children. They did not know about her. Silently, Robert found an open chair with empty places on either side, and slipped into it.

Upvote 0

Fire Of Zion

Nov 16, 2003
the world of Facebook
Visit site
✟11,615.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Speech of the horseman's arrival piqued Ariadne's attention. Horseman with a beard? She could only imagine how he might look in, but if it wasn't for the Keeper's arrival, she would have asked more about him.

She laughed at the Keeper's fond talk of Maurus. "Truly, extra chores may not work if they have not thus far." She snagged the bowl of soup and a large chunk of bread. "Aside from that, I noticed you didn't mention how late Robert was, Jas... A little favoritism?"

Despite Jasna being a servant, she was still their caretaker, and speaking the way Ariadne did was discouraged. However, Ariadne was known to have a tongue whether Jasna corrected her or not, and just the the Keeper spoke fondly of Maurus's habits, he did the same for Ariadne's. She was used to it by now, but a small part of her was amazed that he appreciated their quirks. As far as she read in her books, men in his position usually lorded over those on his power and enforced strict codes of behavior. But that gave the Keeper a certain mysteriousness to Ariadne, as she couldn't help but feel he had an alterior motive.

Upvote 0

K9Guardian

May 25, 2006
Where, in what sense?
✟13,315.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, Maurus won't be getting any of this. Haven thought. Even if he did, it would probably be cold by the time he got here. Haven spooned some of the soup into his bowl; setting it beside his plate. He turned to the Keeper. "Grandpa...can I help you?"

“Yes, my boy. Please fetch me some soup, thank you splendidly!” The Keeper used the staff to ease himself into his high-backed chair, then leaned the stout pole against the table. Sitting at this commanding position, he managed to look both humble and regal, a great lord with the bearing of a servant. “Now, Petra, how goes your assignment? Are you prepared to tell us all about the War of Gods after lunch?”

In the middle of spooning soup into her bowl, Petra almost spilled boiling liquid all over the table. She put the bowl down quickly and bit her lip, shooting Ariadne a look of pure terror. Please, please, Ariadne. Help me! But there wasn’t much Ariadne could do when it was Petra’s turn to do the History presentation today. When she was called on to speak during the lesson, when she was forced to confess her unfinished paper…

She swallowed and started to answer the Keeper’s question. “Grandfather… “ She used the pet name the children had for him. The formal address was Lord Keeper, but Grandfather was the children’s name for him. “Grandfather, I haven’t – “

Silently, Robert found an open chair with empty places on either side, and slipped into it.

Robert came running into the dining hall at precisely that moment, cutting Petra’s imminent excuse short. He dropped into a chair just as Jasna swept back in loaded with the rest of lunch. She saw Robert, and the line of her mouth thinned, but she set the dishes out without comment.

She laughed at the Keeper's fond talk of Maurus. "Truly, extra chores may not work if they have not thus far." She snagged the bowl of soup and a large chunk of bread. "Aside from that, I noticed you didn't mention how late Robert was, Jas... A little favoritism?"

When she had finished setting the table, Jasna spun on Ariadne with a swish of skirts. Fists on hips, she reprimanded her young charge. ‘In answer to your question as I left this room, young lady, it will be extra chores for you as well. And do not address me as ‘Jas’ again. I am your Nan.” She directed a warning glance to the others. “As for favoritism... Robert, extra chores for you too. And you can thank Ariadne for reminding me of my rules.” With that, she sat down next to the Keeper.

Petra felt faint. After lunch, she knew she was next.

Upvote 0

LightofHeaven

Reborn
May 31, 2007
In a house. You?
✟12,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Haven retrieved the Keeper's bowl and filled it silently. He set it down before the aged man and returned to his seat.

Half the children had already been charged with extra chores. That left Tuan, Petra, and himself to relax. If he could just make it through the boring history lesson after lunch without disapppointing Nan Jasna... Haven turned to Tuan. "Tuan? Aren't you going to help yourself?"

Upvote 0

Fire Of Zion

Nov 16, 2003
the world of Facebook
Visit site
✟11,615.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Ariadne recognized Petra's panicked look, and even felt bad that there wouldn't be enough time for her to save the girl like she had in the past. But their Nan had Ariadne's attention with the punishment of extra chores. A sour look spoiled her face as she ripped a piece of bread viciously in her teeth and began to chew. Really, they were getting too old for this "extra chores" business. What was the point? To scrub the stones until their hands fell off?

Ariadne didn't look at Robert.

Upvote 0