✟447,219.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
For Christians:
How do you handle Santa / tooth fairy / easter bunny and children?
Do you
1) Actively teach children about those things
2) Agree with children if they are talking about those things
3) Tell them they are made up if the child specifically asks
4) Actively tell children that those things are made up

To me it seems a bit immoral to lie about these things to children but I guess there is pressure from society to allow young children to believe these things.

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I never told my children about tany of them. If asked I explained why we gave presents at Christmas.
Teeth I distracted by telling them that they'd lost their teet by kissing boys/girls.
Didn't have the easter bunny, but again would talk about the reason for easter and eggs.

There are far to many other people who will talk to children about these things.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For Christians:
Do you

To me it seems a bit immoral to lie about these things to children but I guess there is pressure from society to allow young children to believe these things.
I don't "kid around" with kids. It's mean, they don't deserve it, and they don't want it. It is something weird, and a little bit mean about grown-ups, because they think it's funny and cute to kid around like that. But the children are genuinely trusting them and asking sincerely for the truth .. why not?

"A truthful witness saves lives, but one who utters lies is treacherous" - Proverbs 14:25

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
For Christians:
Do you

I would just tell them it is made up. But I wouldn't jump at every opportunity humanly possible to say that. They have to come to that conclusion personally.

If they ask me to indulge in it with them, I will shut it down. For me to say its made up, and then play along, that means that it doesn't matter. It does.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For Christians:
Do you

I am very active in teaching against myths. Here is why:

When parents teach lies like santa claus, easter bunny and tooth fairy and also teach about God, the kids eventually learn the first three are a lie and then parental credibility is gone. So, when schools teach their lies that there is no God and that we evolved, then those same kids who have been lied to by their parents--for no legitimate reason except to maintain a myth--are quick to stop believing and searching for the one true God.

Furthermore, when we make Christmas and Resurrection all about the commercial holiday, it isn't really a celebration of God at all. When it becomes all about the gifts, decoration, and santa claus, how much devotion is actually shown to God within the time spent on the holiday that we claim to celebrate the birth of His Son?

Finally, why is it such a bad thing that the gift-giver acknowledges that they gave gifts rather than some mythological creature gave the gifts?

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In this kind of context, you can't go wrong with "the truth is always best." It's only when someone is thinking of not telling the truth that the pros and cons start to come out. While the child may miss some of the excitement that other kids have, do you really want their excitement to come from something that doesn't exist? There is room for argument here (especially since I am not a child psychologist), since they will probably be exposed to fictional characters of one kind or another. However, the focus of excitement could instead be on the gift-giving or what the holiday is actually celebrating. Parents can turn a Santa-less Christmas or bunny-less Easter into an exciting time if they are willing to put a little time into it. Careful explanation can make it possible for them to associate with kids that believe in Santa, et al. When they are older they will recognize that Dad tells the truth about Santa and other stuff—including about God.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
For Christians:
Do you

We started going to church when our son was 4 years old. By the time his 5th Christmas rolled around, we were so convicted about the lie of Santa, that we told him the truth about Santa and where his presents actually came from. That was 14 years ago and I wouldn't change that decision. The truth is always best, especially when small children are of concern.

Upvote 0

Llleopard

Jun 5, 2018
Hawkes Bay New Zealand
✟135,529.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I found it hard to know what to do, because my own family didn't celebrate Easter or Christmas so I had nothing to imitate, but I knew I wanted them to have some kind of fun celebration with the real meaning rather than the nothing that I had. I decided to tell my kids that some families tell the Santa/Easter bunny stories, but in our house we make presents for each other. Then we wrote the labels like 'from Santa mom' or'Santa Kat' and had fun with it. They had 'mom the tooth fairy' too, which they found really funny. They've turned out okay and never offended anyone with it

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We didn't tell our children the Santa Claus / Easter Bunny / Tooth Fairy stories, for the same reasons others have mentioned. I wanted always to be truthful with my children, because I wanted them to be able to trust my word.

They encountered Santa Claus anyway, of course, through the other adults around them -- Grandma, adults at church, and so on. "What is Santa Claus bringing you?" We decided on a twofold approach. We told the kids that some adults like to play the Santa Claus game, where they give presents secretly, and say the presents are from "Santa Claus" as a way of not telling who the presents are from. And we told the kids about St. Nicholas, who was kind and generous, and whose stories developed over time into the Santa Claus stories we hear now; the stories about the guy at the North Pole are fun fiction, like Harry Potter, but there was a real bishop a long time ago. One of our December decorations is a little statue of St. Nicholas, in his bishop's attire, that we put up on St. Nicholas' Day in early December.

Eventually, we did have to tell them that some parents told their kids that Santa Claus was real, and that out of kindness they shouldn't spoil the secret for others, and we explained why we hadn't taken that route in our family. They seemed to be glad that we had opted for straightforward truth-telling.

Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For Christians:
How do you handle Santa

Santa is "Satan" spelled wrong.

There are some 25 (or more) similiarities between Santa and Jesus.

One example:

Santa: Ho! Ho! Ho!
Jesus: Ho, ho, come forth, and flee from the land of the north, saith the LORD: -Zechariah 2:6a

• Haha
Reactions: JohnClay
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For Christians:
Do you

However, at the same time, I've also told my child that "Santa," in connection with the historical figure of Saint Nicholas, is of a different mythological nature as a symbol within culture than is the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For Christians:
Do you

So when I used to make up stories and tell them to my children that was not lying. Part of raising children is to cultivate their imagination and creativity. Children love magical stories and pretend to be people or things they clearly aren’t. Creating a little magic in their lives is not lying!

When they grew up my kids went to see movies like Star Wars Be aused they loved the idea of putting themselves in another world.

But I also told them about George Washington, Abe Lincoln, and Jesus when they were kids. They still believe in the historic figures and can easily separate those from Santa, the Easter bunny, and the tooth fairy, and Richard Dawkins’, “God Delusion.” (I.E. works of fiction)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RoseCrystal

Site Supporter
Jun 10, 2018
Australia
✟294,530.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For Christians:
Do you

I totally lied to my child about santa and the easter bunny and the tooth fairy, until he went to school, then I told him it was just a story for little children, I didn't want him to find out at school and feel stupid. He wasn't upset when I told him, he laughed. I also lied to him about other things too, like I'd tell him fish was chicken so he'd eat it, anything orange was carrot.

Upvote 0