childhood memories....how did we survive?

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A good friend sent this to me this morning.  I wanted to share with you all.  A lot of it I can relate to.  Comment as you see fit.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Smilin..... :)

HOW DID WE SURVIVE?

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV> Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have

<DIV></DIV> lived as long as we have.

<DIV></DIV> As children, we would ride in cars with no seat

<DIV></DIV> belts or air bags. Riding

<DIV></DIV> in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was

<DIV></DIV> always a special treat. Our

<DIV></DIV> houses and baby cribs were covered with bright

<DIV></DIV> colored lead-based paint. We

<DIV></DIV> had no childproof lids on medicine bottles,

<DIV></DIV> doors,or cabinets, and when we

<DIV></DIV> rode our bikes, we had no helmets. (Not to mention hitchhiking to

<DIV></DIV> town as a young kid!) We slept without flame retardant

<DIV></DIV> pajamas, without air&nbsp;conditioning, with doors and windows open. Our dogs&nbsp;did not have rabies&nbsp;shots, distemper shots, parvo shots, and we didn't pour chemicals on them or on us to repel fleas and ticks and mosquitoes. We followed along in the big&nbsp;white clouds sprayed out by the city trucks to kill mosquitoes breathing in&nbsp;the wonderful smell of DDT. We raced around town&nbsp;without adults on

<DIV></DIV> Halloween collecting treats and eating them as we&nbsp;went along without having&nbsp;them&nbsp;x-rayed first.&nbsp;We drank water from the garden hose and not from a&nbsp;bottle. We would spend&nbsp;hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then&nbsp;rode down the hill, only&nbsp;to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times&nbsp;we learned to solve the problem.&nbsp;We would leave home in the morning and play all&nbsp;day, as long as we were&nbsp;back when the lights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. We&nbsp;played dodgeball and sometimes the ball would&nbsp;really hurt. We ate cakes,

<DIV></DIV> bread and butter, fried fat back for breakfast&nbsp;along with biscuits made&nbsp;with pure lard, and drank sugar sodas, but we were&nbsp;never overweight.... we&nbsp;were&nbsp;always outside playing.&nbsp;We played with cap pistols and toy rifles and&nbsp;rubber knives. We took snakes&nbsp;or frogs or lizards to school, but never guns.&nbsp;We waded barefoot through muddy water in ditches&nbsp;catching tadpoles and&nbsp;crawdads. We cut the grass with push mowers,&nbsp;climbed trees, and walked&nbsp;along the top of fences like they were tight ropes.&nbsp;We petted stray dogs and&nbsp;cats&nbsp;and took them home to see if we could keep them. We&nbsp;shot off fireworks&nbsp;without supervision or safety precautions and&nbsp;without getting arrested. We&nbsp;made match guns out of clothes pins and shot&nbsp;flaming matches at each other and at passing cars.&nbsp;We walked or rode our bicycles to and from school&nbsp;in the flaming heat, in&nbsp;the freezing cold, and in the pouring rain. We were&nbsp;not afraid to accept a&nbsp;ride home from a total stranger when it was&nbsp;raining. We knocked on&nbsp;strangers' doors without fear when we were&nbsp;searching for our missing puppy&nbsp;or kitten. We left our bicycle lying in the middle&nbsp;of the front yard at&nbsp;night, and it would still be there in the morning.&nbsp;There were tryouts for cheerleader and Little&nbsp;League, and not everyone made&nbsp;the teams. Those who didn't had to learn to deal&nbsp;with disappointment. Some&nbsp;students weren't as smart as others so they failed&nbsp;a grade and were held

<DIV></DIV> back to repeat the same grade as many times as&nbsp;necessary. We didn't wear&nbsp;designer clothes to school or drive shinny new cars

<DIV></DIV> to high school. If we&nbsp;had a car to drive, we were happy with anything&nbsp;that would run no matter&nbsp;what it looked like. We had never even heard of&nbsp;seatbelts or airbags, which&nbsp;probably not done any good anyway with ten people&nbsp;packed into a Volkswagen.&nbsp;That generation produced some of the best&nbsp;risk-takers and problem solvers.&nbsp;We had freedom, failure, success and&nbsp;responsibility, and we learned how to&nbsp;deal with it all.&nbsp;

And you're one of them. Congratulations

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Brain Damage
I remember all that and more .
And I remember blowing up peoples letter boxes and stealing the money they left for the milkman , aahhh&nbsp; the good ol days .

Hey Smilin , tanks for da memories .&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; :)

LOL..BLOWING up letter boxes eh&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that what happened to your hair? hehehhehe.....

Upvote 0

SeRapH&CheRi

Sassy GurlMember!
Apr 3, 2002
eastcoastoftheusa
✟6,276.00
Faith
Christian
Wow! That totally transported me back to my childhood! I remember summers where I would run around the neighborhoold all day bare-footed with my little friends. We would return home for dinner, only to go back out and have a big huge neighborhood game of hide-n-seek until midnight! Ahhhh.....the good 'ol days when we didn't have to worry about being snatched by strangers! So sad that children these days don't have that. :sad:

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Wild honeysuckle.....ahhhhhhhhh
Trying to successfully maneuver an electric fence...YEEEOOOWWWWW
All those 'cool' insects, snakes, and funny lookin amphibians you brought back home that TOTALLY freaked out your mother....

ohhhhhhhh yeahhhhhh

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
LOL...DOWNSHIFTING and FLOORING it at those who walked slowly out in front of you...oooohhhhhhhh YEAHHHHHHHH......

Pelting passing cars with green apples (crriinnnggggeee)
Our slingshots and the neighbors big picture window...(arrrgghhh)

Man...no wonder my dad was so mean all the time....LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeRapH&CheRi

Sassy GurlMember!
Apr 3, 2002
eastcoastoftheusa
✟6,276.00
Faith
Christian
....building forts in the forest...........going for loooooooooong bike rides around town...............backing out dad's old datsun from the garage at the tender age of 13 and ignorantly leaving the passenger door open, scraping it against the garage wall thus tearing the door away from it's hinges then freaking out because you know that dad's gonna kill you, so you drive it to your friend's place, thinking that you will return it before dad gets home, so his brother could fix it..................oh the memories....... :)

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by SeRapH&CheRi
....building forts in the forest...........going for loooooooooong bike rides around town...............backing out dad's old datsun from the garage at the tender age of 13 and ignorantly leaving the passenger door open, scraping it against the garage wall thus tearing the door away from it's hinges then freaking out because you know that dad's gonna kill you, so you drive it to your friend's place, thinking that you will return it before dad gets home, so his brother could fix it..................oh the memories....... :)

I have to know..Did you get the car fixed before your dad came home?

Upvote 0

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Smilin
LOL..BLOWING up letter boxes eh&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; that what happened to your hair? hehehhehe.....

&nbsp;

Let me explain why I look like this .

As kids we would defecate / do number 2 onto some newspaper and then roll the newspaper into a ball and place it on somebodies front door step , we then set fire to the newspaper.....knocked on the door and ran like hell across the street and hid behind some bushes and watched as the victim opened the door only to find a burning lump of newspaper .

It was always hularious to watch them trying to put out the fire by stomping on it .&nbsp; *YUK*

One day as I was hiding behind a bush I heard someone behind me say something , and as I turned to look there was a guy pointing a shotgun at me, it gave me a hell of a fright and that's how iv'e looked ever sinse .&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by SeRapH&amp;CheRi

LOL...LOL...LOL&nbsp;&nbsp; :D

I can relate!

Remember the 80's show...The Dukes of Hazard? (g)

The stunt driving they did on the country dirt roads...gettin sideways around the turns.....

I TRIED that...errr...My dad's truck wound up buried into the woods!!&nbsp; :eek:&nbsp;

Upvote 0

Brain Damage

Generally Medicated
Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
✟18,745.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by jayemcintyre
All of a sudden I am glad I was born so much later than the rest of you!!

Well maybe not

But you guys were all mad as children

Jay

&nbsp;

Thanks for the compliment jay .&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; :wave:

&nbsp;

Upvote 0