Child Marriage

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟58,703.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think the cases for the 10 years old marriages were back in 2001 according to what I have read?

Anyway any legislation to child marriage is a crime. However, I wouldn't be shocked to see a bunch of pedophiles responsible for policy making in some countries. (I also believe that pedophile rings between politicians are internationally protected. Why? Pizz@Gate. With a instead of @. I don't care if anyone will tell me it is not real, because I was there when it was fresh new and there was robust credible evidence before the heavy bans that were conducted by the rigged companies like Google, Facebook or Twitter, however this is not the topic.)

Anyway, why is this allowed? Because we have a bunch of id*ots responsible for legislation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyway any legislation to child marriage is a crime. However, I wouldn't be shocked to see a bunch of pedophiles responsible for policy making in some countries.
In first century Judea, (NT times) what we would today call child marriage was the norm. Arranged couples were made about age 7-9, ketubot (marriage contracts) were drawn up and signed about age 12 and around age 13 the marriage was consummated.

Our Lord NEVER ONCE spoke out against this system. Indeed He referred to it several times in His teachings and parables.

So I will ask it again: Does God have a minimum age for marriage?

Upvote 0

Yennora

2022 UPDATE: I regret any UNBIBLICAL posts I made.
Dec 31, 2016
Sydney
✟58,703.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In first century Judea, (NT times) what we would today call child marriage was the norm. Arranged couples were made about age 7-9, ketubot (marriage contracts) were drawn up and signed about age 12 and around age 13 the marriage was consummated.

Our Lord NEVER ONCE spoke out against this system. Indeed He referred to it several times in His teachings and parables.

Were those children married to adults? That is, could a 10 years old marry a 30 years old? If yes, could you please provide biblical evidence?

Anyway, and I'm sorry if that sounds brittle, whether it is biblical or not. No one and no religion is above children rights. I will never be sorry to fight for children rights. How can we allow a 10 years old that hadn't yet reached maturity to get married to an adult? What sort of a filthy vile person is that that wants to marry a child? What sort of value does he or she gets?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Were those children married to adults? That is, could a 10 years old marry a 30 years old? If yes, could you please provide biblical evidence?
In general, no.

But I believe Eastern Orthodox tradition holds that Joseph was a widower with children from his first wife when he (about 45 years old) married Mary (about 14). However, I do not think the biblical narrative supports such a scenario. Given the customs of the day, had Joseph been that old and had an established household, there would have been no waiting between the betrothal and the actual consummation of the marriage.

• Informative
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anyway, and I'm sorry if that sounds brittle, whether it is biblical or not. No one and no religion is above children rights.
God and His ways are above everything.
I will never be sorry to fight for children rights.
Fight on as you will, but biblically there is no such thing as personal "rights." That is a purely humanistic concept.

It is called biblically "Doing what is right in your own eyes." That is NEVER a good thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a parent signs for a fifteen-year old daughter to marry a nineteen-year old man....is she still required to go to school till she graduates or gets a GED?
I think that varies by state and by school district.

Back in Neanderthal times, (when I was in hs circa 1970) if a student got married before graduation, they had to apply to the school board every semester to explain why they should still be in school. that happened with one couple who got married during 11th grade.

• Useful
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,586.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If a parent signs for a fifteen-year old daughter to marry a nineteen-year old man....is she still required to go to school till she graduates or gets a GED?
She’s not required to do either, married or not.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So I will ask it again: Does God have a minimum age for marriage?

In the abstract, maybe not.

But given that

a) Both Jews and Christians agree that marriage can only be entered into by the free consent of both parties, and
b) someone must be mature enough to be able to consent,

I would argue that in concrete terms God would have a minimum age of "capable of meaningful consent." We can then argue about when that is, and how we regulate it.

Also, it'd be an interesting one for the moderators to argue about behind the scenes, but given that the rules prohibit promoting illegal activities, I'd argue that suggesting that God is okay with child marriage may well fall foul of CF rules.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can a mature thirty year old Christian have a real relationship with a ten year old child?

Where is your faith?

With God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26
"faith working through love" (in Galatians 5:6)

If you are maturing in God's love, you can find someone your own age who is also maturing with you. This is indeed possible with God.

A ten year old is not going to be a mature thirty year old who has had time to mature more.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, it'd be an interesting one for the moderators to argue about behind the scenes, but given that the rules prohibit promoting illegal activities, I'd argue that suggesting that God is okay with child marriage may well fall foul of CF rules.
On that point I would argue that God is ok with many things that are illegal and many things that are legal He is NOT ok with.

I cannot and will not argue in favor of violating local laws. (unless they directly cause one to sin against God) I am talking what GOD himself is ok with, regardless of local law.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think that it should be legal to marry at say 16 with parents' consent particularly if they are marrying due to having a child. This way the marriage age would match the age of consent (in most places.)

Upvote 0