Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Native American has a voice now. That , they didn't have right 45 years ago.
Perhaps that's the solution, then.

Come drive the brand new 2021 Jeep Native American. Now at your local dealership.

• Haha
Reactions: Aussie Pete
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
full
(I've heard of Furniture Polish before...
full
)

On a related note,...
Straight Lesbians Want Their Identity Back (it's safe ;))
The principal chief of the Cherokee Nation wants Jeep to stop using the tribe’s name on its SUVs, saying it “does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car.”

Jeep started using the Cherokee name more than 45 years ago, including on the brand’s top-selling Grand Cherokee SUV. It also offers a smaller SUV called the Cherokee, which was its third best-selling vehicle last year in the U.S.

“I think we’re in a day and age in this country where it’s time for both corporations and team sports to retire the use of Native American names, images and mascots from their products, team jerseys and sports in general,” Chuck Hoskin Jr., principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, said in a statement. “I’m sure this comes from a place that is well-intended, but it does not honor us by having our name plastered on the side of a car.”

Chief of Cherokee Nation wants Jeep to stop using tribe's name on SUVs (cnbc.com)
Chuck Hoskin Jr. He would have more credibility if he had a Cherokee name.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟570,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never like the Cherokee name. To me, it evokes thoughts of old fashionedness and tradition and I see those attributes as undesirable for a vehicle to begin with... Which might partially explain why I've never owned one.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This spelling seems to be for a different pronunciation.

And in another language, it could have a meaning.

Let me see > possibly, it means "Principle People".

Words and names in other languages can have meanings.

That might not fly very well, to say ones driving Jeeps are principle people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think there are issues with derogatory names like "Redskins", versus a possible trademark issue like the name of a tribe. The EX President has been paid for the use of his name on buildings and golf courses and bad vodka and bad steaks and a fraudulent "University", for example.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I think there are issues with derogatory names like "Redskins", versus a possible trademark issue like the name of a tribe. The EX President has been paid for the use of his name on buildings and golf courses and bad vodka and bad steaks and a fraudulent "University", for example.
Washington could of picked something better than "Football Team". A tad boring. :yawn:

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello @Chrystal-J, Chrysler-Jeep's use of "Cherokee" hardly seems a dishonorable use of the name :scratch: So I think there is a different reason behind Chief Hoskin Jr.'s complaint (my bet is that it has to do with $$*, but we shall see).

--David
p.s. if $$ is his real motivation and he prevails in court (gets Chrysler-Jeep to pay him for their long-time, and then perhaps ongoing, use of the name, "Cherokee"), just think of all of the businesses, products, cities, states (I believe that more than half of our states have Native American names of some kind, if memory serves), and the like that are named after Native American tribes, chiefs, etc., that could be forced to pay damages (for the past use of a name) and/or royalties (for the continued use of a name) to various tribes and/or families and/or individuals by using the same tactic, in lawsuit after lawsuit after lawsuit :( I admit that, if true, it is a savvy business move on the part of Chief Haskins, Jr., but I still don't like it.

iu

Chief "Pontiac"​

How dumb is this. Companies use names that represent the supposed virtues of the products. That the name "Cherokee" is synonymous with a capable off road vehicle (according to Jeep at least) should be considered a compliment. No doubt the problem would go away if a sufficient amount of money was offered for the use of the name.

Where have these complainants been for umpteen years? I call this the band wagon affect. If it wa$ $o offen$ive why did it take 45 year$ for someone to complain.

To name it Jeep "Polish" for instance, would denote disrespect, at least unfortunately many would see it that way due to the uncalled for jokes.

But in my view, naming the Jeep after Cherokee, is very respectful. Its respecting what used to be, and in some cases still are, a people who are known for their great experience with the outdoors, and Jeep has always been about the outdoors.

But hey, let the people who made this a problem have their attention, because I think that is all they are after, making themselves look good to the more small minded among them.

I wonder how many of the folks taking an uncharitable view of the Chief actually bothered to read the article in the OP rather than just the headline.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I doesn't sound like the original naming choice was done in a pejorative sense, but more as a compliment.

upload_2021-2-24_15-25-39.png

There are certain "ethnic naming choices" which are clearly caricaturizing the group they naming it after, and other ones that appear to be more from a place of respect.

For instance, the sport bike called the "Ninja" (...I don't think that was done out of any sort of disrespect toward Japanese feudal history) is different than a team using the "Fighting Irish" logo (which is clearly a caricature)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I doesn't sound like the original naming choice was done in a pejorative sense, but more as a compliment.

View attachment 295364

There are certain "ethnic naming choices" which are clearly caricaturizing the group they naming it after, and other ones that appear to be more from a place of respect.

For instance, the sport bike called the "Ninja" (...I don't think that was done out of any sort of disrespect toward Japanese feudal history) is different than a team using the "Fighting Irish" logo (which is clearly a caricature)
Mascot-izing generally is kind of patronizing even when complimentary. Save it for animals or occupations, not ethnicities or other nations.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Mascot-izing generally is kind of patronizing even when complimentary. Save it for animals or occupations, not ethnicities or other nations.

So would you consider even a name as mascot-izing?

It seems like an awful lot of things will need to be renamed if that's the case.

...and it seems like the efforts are often times directed at changing names for things pertaining to groups that are seen as part of the "non-privileged" groups.

For instance, "Polish Boy" sandwiches... (they're pretty popular here in northeast Ohio)
Washington Post even runs recipe articles about how to make one
https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/polish-boy/15380/

Who do I call a WaPo to get them to stop using my heritage to describe a sausage sandwich covered in french fries?
(sarcasm of course, those sandwiches are delicious, and I'm not at all offended)

...and the same seems to go with the concept of cultural appropriation.

For instance, there was a social media efforts critiquing white women who wore certain types of braids in their hair...or the recent one where Rhianna was wearing a necklace depicting a symbol of Hinduism...or when Forever 21 was pressured into an apology for depicting a white model wearing a "Wakanda Forever" shirt on their website (from the movie Black Panther).

Yet, the people who seem to get the most offended about that probably wouldn't see this as "problematic":
upload_2021-2-24_16-54-29.png

upload_2021-2-24_16-55-11.png

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So would you consider even a name as mascot-izing?

It seems like an awful lot of things will need to be renamed if that's the case.

...and it seems like the efforts are often times directed at changing names for things pertaining to groups that are seen as part of the "non-privileged" groups.

For instance, "Polish Boy" sandwiches... (they're pretty popular here in northeast Ohio)
Washington Post even runs recipe articles about how to make one
https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/polish-boy/15380/

Who do I call a WaPo to get them to stop using my heritage to describe a sausage sandwich covered in french fries?
(sarcasm of course, those sandwiches are delicious, and I'm not at all offended)

...and the same seems to go with the concept of cultural appropriation.

For instance, there was a social media efforts critiquing white women who wore certain types of braids in their hair...or the recent one where Rhianna was wearing a necklace depicting a symbol of Hinduism...or when Forever 21 was pressured into an apology for depicting a white model wearing a "Wakanda Forever" shirt on their website (from the movie Black Panther).

Yet, the people who seem to get the most offended about that probably wouldn't see this as "problematic":
View attachment 295368
View attachment 295369
I'm talking about commercial branding of specific products. Generic names for food items arise organically in the culture, and thats fine. But taking a peoples name to brand your own private product.... no.

Cultural appropriation can be bad, but personally I err on the permissive side. Thats a whole other, but related, topic.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder how many of the folks taking an uncharitable view of the Chief actually bothered to read the article in the OP rather than just the headline.
Actually I did read the article before I replied. I even looked up more information and found out the peoples we refer to as "Cherokee" the native pronunciation of their name is "Tsalagi." And OBTW one of nieces is married to a full blooded native Cherokee.
I flew Apache and Iroquois helicopters in Viet Nam.

Upvote 0