Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It has been proposed that global warming is causing co2 levels to rise, not the other way around.

A graph recently shown here supports that theory by indicating that temperature rise has preceded increases in atmospheric co2. If that's the case there is little we can do to mitigate global warming. Thoughts?

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟321,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It has been proposed that global warming is causing co2 levels to rise, not the other way around.

A graph recently shown here supports that theory by indicating that temperature rise has preceded increases in atmospheric co2. If that's the case there is little we can do to mitigate global warming. Thoughts?

There is little that anyone can do to mitigate global warming just as there will be little anyone can do to mitigate global cooling. The earth will soon enter another period of cooling leading to the next ice age. Just as it has before.

When it begins will everyone clamor to produce as much CO2 as possible to delay the inevitable?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,395,814.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Our Heavenly Father does not tell lies.
Genesis 8:22
While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

What does this have to do with chickens and eggs??? :scratch:

• Haha
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

maintenance man

Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟477,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What does this have to do with chickens and eggs??? :scratch:

Chickens are best eaten in warmer climates and eggs are better in cooler climates - unless you prefer them the other way around.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And it's perfectly logical to think that we can pump a billion gallons of toxic goo out of the ground every day, burn it, pump the resulting toxic gasses into the atmosphere, repeat for over 100 years, and yet have no affect upon the environment.

The world does have natural heating and cooling cycles. That in no way means that mankind cannot exacerbate those. The two forces are not mutually exclusive.

Which came first, the 'either' or the 'or'?

Reactions: jannikitty
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Chickens are best eaten in warmer climates and eggs are better in cooler climates - unless you prefer them the other way around.

Hello to another "maintenance man"; the unsung hero's of the working class. :D

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
And it's perfectly logical to think that we can pump a billion gallons of toxic goo out of the ground every day, burn it, pump the resulting toxic gasses into the atmosphere, repeat for over 100 years, and yet have no affect upon the environment.

The world does have natural heating and cooling cycles. That in no way means that mankind cannot exacerbate those. The two forces are not mutually exclusive.

Which came first, the 'either' or the 'or'?

Hundred years ago world population was about 1,9 billion, if the numbers are reliable,

Today we are about 8 billion,

I see it as an express train going faster and faster and no one knows how to stop it.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We can just look and see.

global_temp_vs_carbon_dioxide_graph_620.gif

If carbon dioxide hits a new high every year, why isn’t every year hotter than the last? | NOAA Climate.gov

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's ironic that we should be concerned about the effect of global warming on agriculture when agriculture contributes so much to it.

Pros and cons of thermal inertia
"The global ocean buffers Earth’s temperature from rapid change; that stability has been fundamental to the evolution of complex life on our planet over millions of years. Even with respect to global warming, the ocean’s inertia works in our favor in one way: it provides us with a modest window of time to adapt to and begin to combat climate change before we are forced to confront its full effects on human health, coastal communities, and agriculture."

Maybe we could create our own 'volcanic eruption' by releasing dust into the atmosphere, thus cooling the earth.

"The bigger surprise was 1992, which was the coldest year of the 1990s despite being an El Niño year. The 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo was likely to blame."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hundred years ago world population was about 1,9 billion, if the numbers are reliable,

Today we are about 8 billion,

I see it as an express train going faster and faster and no one knows how to stop it.

The irony is that when Paul Ehrlich warned of a future population explosion the bomb was already going off.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟272,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Perhaps. By people who don't know what they're talking about.

But what I suspect you're getting at are carbon cycle feedback loops.

A graph recently shown here supports that theory by indicating that temperature rise has preceded increases in atmospheric co2.

I'd love a link to that, because it is in complete opposition to what we actually see with CO2 emissions and temperature.

Shakun et al in 2012 published a paper showing strong evidence that around 90% of the increase in temperature lags the increase in emissions over the course of a century
Rickel et al in 2014 published a paper further supporting this, demonstrating a lag of 7 to 30 years between emissions and temperature increase, with a mean of 10 years.
Zickfield and Harrington in 2015 published more research, confirming the lag and demonstrating that ~93% of the warming effect of greenhouse gas emissions will occur within 10 years of their release.
Goodwin et al in 2015 published more research supporting this, finding a non-linear relationship between CO2 emissions and temperature, finding between 80% and 90% of the increase is experienced within a 11 year period.

So, according to the best available current research, C02 lags temperature increase by about a decade.

If that's the case there is little we can do to mitigate global warming. Thoughts?

But it's not the case, and we can. And are. Just not fast or thoroughly enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟248,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If you are worried about the earths human population, don't God will take care of that.

So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth.

By these three plagues a third of mankind was killed—by the fire and the smoke and the brimstone which came out of their mouths.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟626,034.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
The irony is that when Paul Ehrlich warned of a future population explosion the bomb was already going off.

If there had not been wars and abortions for the past hundred years the world population would be higher today, how much higher idk.

More than 8 billion mouths to feed,
8 billion times everything,
clothing,
shelter.
Just household waste alone,

How much does military equipment and production of
and usage of contribute to pollution of atmosphere land and sea?

Isaiah 2:4.

weapons will be melted down to make ploughs
so it cannot be so bad with agriculture.

But it will be with the coming of the Messiah,
may it be soon.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟272,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you are worried about the earths human population, don't God will take care of that.

So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth.

By these three plagues a third of mankind was killed—by the fire and the smoke and the brimstone which came out of their mouths.

Sounds like a loving deity to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟272,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
God can be very loving but also can pour out perfect wrath on those who want war.

This is what the LORD says: "About midnight I will go throughout Egypt. Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn of the slave girl, who is at her hand mill, and all the firstborn of the cattle as well. There will be loud wailing throughout Egypt—worse than there has ever been or ever will be again."

Seems like the slave girl and her son really wanted to go to war.

But, I suggest we've gotten off topic.

Have you anything relevant to the OP you'd like to contribute?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

:eek:

• Agree
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟196,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This right here is exactly why atheists are bothered by others having religious beliefs. Please, for the love of your children and all future generations do NOT live as though God will fix things before they get out of hand. Remember, he allowed the Holocaust.

Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟20,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Whether current and recent changes in global warming are inevitable due to the reoccurring patterns of time or whether they are caused by human enterprises..we are still called to be stewards of the earth. And pouring plastic into our oceans and toxic gases into the atmosphere is not good stewardship. Better means are needed. And clean up should be done.

Upvote 0