Chess: The greatest games ever played! Discuss and learn - move by move!

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
chess15_zpsd6fcc46c.jpg
Hello chess lovers!

Since there is considerable interest in chess
here on CF I had the following idea:

How about discussing and learning from the
greatest games ever played - move by move?

I will arrange the visuals, so that every move
is illustrated by a picture of the board!
(I'm doing this with a PGN viewer and a
screen capture program).

As to the games: Everybody may suggest a game!
If the game is stored in one of the many chess
databases in PGN format - no problem! :)

If the game is little known and I can't find the
PGN file associated with it - then please provide
the game in PGN format - I will fix the rest! :)

On the top list I have right now 125 games, and if
no suggestions are being made, I will pick a game
from that list.

How long shall we discuss a game before we move
on?

I think the following is reasonable:

If there is much discussion then maybe a maximum
of 1-2 months per game is reasonable.

If there is little or no discussion - I will by default
post one move every day.

Each game will get it's own thread.

Questions and suggestions must be posted here
in this thread!

IMPORTANT!
See the post below which shows games that are
currently discussed or have been discussed earlier
and links to them

Have fun!

chess17_zps57f305bc.jpg

Last edited:

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Site Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

acehighinfinity2015

Born again
Sep 7, 2014
✟8,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am a chess fan and enjoy playing the game. I like Bobby Fisher's King Gambit Accepted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZLxFvgBrZs

Bobby only lost 1 out of 8 on King's Gambit accepted. I think that 1 lost could of possibly happen in a simultaneous game.

I've been using this a lot since I started playing it on the hardest level against the computer and notice many traps was avoided. I actually beat the computer and it was becoming frequently but I think it might be different against an opponent. I will test out other computers to see how holds up. Started playing chess at young age, and slowly over years back and forth.

Looking forward to the progress of this thread :)

Upvote 0

E. Mortimer

Jun 20, 2015
✟15,258.00
Marital Status
Single
I clicked on this particular section with the intention of starting a chess-related thread and what is the first thread that I see right at the top of the list? It must be God's Will.... Okay, probably not. It is a pretty old game, after all and it attracts players from all over the world.

I love this game because two people separated by language and culture can still sit down and play and know that they share something in common.

Now I'm not trying to advertise another site here on CF, but I've noticed that there seems to be no way to actually play chess here on the site and so I am going to post a link to my chess.com profile where I invite anybody who may be interested in playing to come and do so. Chess.com offers absolutely free accounts with the choice of three different types of premium memberships, but there are no restrictions on actual play with the free account. No credit card or even personal information beyond an e-mail address is required for a free account.

If you choose to make an account (or if you already have one), then feel free to send me a challenge. I will play either live games or turn-based games, whichever you prefer. Just know that in the event of a live game, I prefer a 30-minute time limit though I may occasionally play games no shorter than 10 minutes. And if you prefer, I will also play games with a longer time limit than 30 minutes.

So long as you are respectful and take the game seriously, I will play against all challengers. And depending on the time limit of the game, I will even be happy to chat with you during our game. You don't need to identify yourself as a CF user if you do not wish to nor do you have to tell me exactly who you are from the site. I am simply looking for some friendly games and am also open to some friendly chat, as well.

I have been playing chess for a very long time since I was a boy, but I am by no means a Grand Master. In fact, I would say that on my best days, I am above average. I am willing to play with people of all skill levels and will even do my best to help you improve your game as I hope to improve my own.

In total, I've been a member of chess.com for a couple of years, but I stopped playing online for a long time and when I returned, I decided to start fresh by deleting my old account and creating a new one and so you may notice that I have none/few games under my belt. I myself am considering a premium membership as I have heard that doing so has helped many players improve their game. Just remember, you do not need anything more than a free account if all you wish to do is play against other people.

I have read the CF rules very carefully and I do not believe I am breaking them by trying to convince other people to join another site. After all, it is a chess site and is not designed to steal members from this site, but if this is in some way against the rules then all I can do is apologize and agree to delete this post if it is not done for me.

I know, I know. I'm long-winded. I'm a writer. You should see my first draft narratives. Phew! Anyways, that's enough out of me. I hope to see you on the board!

P.S. If, for some reason, the link should ever break or it does not work, then you can find me on chess.com under the username SerEdMort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is this "draw" about? I was surely winning this game, and then this "draw" popped up and i lost points.

WHAT is THAT about??!!!

Ugh!!!
Since you did not agree to a draw, it was either a stalemate or neither side had enough material to win or there was a repetition of too many moves.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Since you did not agree to a draw, it was either a stalemate or neither side had enough material to win or there was a repetition of too many moves.

Thanks, but what is a stalemate? If i would've kept playing i would've creamed the king. i had him surrounded.

I love chess, but it's such a pain when that happens.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, but what is a stalemate? If i would've kept playing i would've creamed the king. i had him surrounded.

I love chess, but it's such a pain when that happens.
A stalemate is when the king is not in check, but cannot move anywhere without putting himself in check. Your last move probably did not leave the king a place to move safely. If your last move was "Check" and the king could not move anywhere, then that would be "Checkmate".

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
A stalemate is when the king is not in check, but cannot move anywhere without putting himself in check. Your last move probably did not leave the king a place to move safely. If your last move was "Check" and the king could not move anywhere, then that would be "Checkmate".

Why should i give the king that, when he was the one that was stuck? Shouldn't i have won the game if the king was stuck?

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why should i give the king that, when he was the one that was stuck? Shouldn't i have won the game if the king was stuck?
Because otherwise you cannot win. You must administer "Checkmate" in order to win. If not, it is a tie. The computer is not cheating, but you are trying to play by your own rules instead of the rules of chess. :wave:

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Because otherwise you cannot win. You must administer "Checkmate" in order to win. If not, it is a tie. The computer is not cheating, but you are trying to play by your own rules instead of the rules of chess. :wave:

Thank you for your responses. i don't understand those rules nor how they make sense.

It was very kind and generous of you to respond, however.

Reactions: Lion IRC
Upvote 0