Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
200 years of broken promises force Cherokee Nation to file lawsuit against US government

TAHLEQUAH, Okla. (KTUL) -- Broken treaties aren't exactly breaking news for Oklahoma's native people. So why is the Cherokee Nation launching a new legal battle now?

There are about 200 years worth of reasons and an unknown sum of money tribal leaders say the feds owe them.

"Every treaty that the United States Government has entered into with the Cherokee Nation has been broken," said Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin Jr.

200 years of broken promises force Cherokee Nation to file lawsuit against US government

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hope, rather, that the Cherokee nation will turn to Jesus, forgive, turn the other cheek, and let God deal with the government for them. What they are doing now is just what they want to do, and God lets them, instead of doing what he wants to do for them.

• Agree
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

TAHLEQUAH, Okla. (KTUL) -- Broken treaties aren't exactly breaking news for Oklahoma's native people. So why is the Cherokee Nation launching a new legal battle now?

There are about 200 years worth of reasons and an unknown sum of money tribal leaders say the feds owe them.

"Every treaty that the United States Government has entered into with the Cherokee Nation has been broken," said Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin Jr.

The United States government has never honored the hundreds of treaties it signed with the sovereign tribes. It has violated every treaty it signed with the NDN Nations, as well as violated its own Constitution on treaties. Article VI of the United States Constitution: This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding. (emphasis mine)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It IS rather telling that the government often makes great concessions in favor of this group or that who stands outside of the mainstream ...

Yet doesn't even do what would be right and fair in dealing with those who have been here before the rest arrived.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And while we are on the subject of Christianity, what about the representation of the God they often claimed to represent that those who first arrived presented to the indigenous peoples?

If you show up, pretending to give with one hand while secretly stealing ten times as much with the other, and break every agreement ever made, how can you expect the people you are dealing with to believe in the "God" you claim, if you show no honor?

I think that has been to the shame of many, and I pray God will show mercy to those who had Christianity so mis-represented to them.

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope, rather, that the Cherokee nation will turn to Jesus, forgive, turn the other cheek, and let God deal with the government for them. What they are doing now is just what they want to do, and God lets them, instead of doing what he wants to do for them.

All I will say, out of respect for my Catholic friends who have welcomed me into this forum, that is highly unlikely. I know the deep rooted bitterness that many Native Americans, not just among my own people, hold against Christianity.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And while we are on the subject of Christianity, what about the representation of the God they often claimed to represent that those who first arrived presented to the indigenous peoples?

If you show up, pretending to give with one hand while secretly stealing ten times as much with the other, and break every agreement ever made, how can you expect the people you are dealing with to believe in the "God" you claim, if you show no honor?

I think that has been to the shame of many, and I pray God will show mercy to those who had Christianity so mis-represented to them.

There is one phrase to sum it all up - Kill the Indian, Save the Man. And out of that racially motivated mindset came the American Indian Boarding Schools and the centuries of cultural genocide, and before that, there was Manifest Destiny.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All I will say, out of respect for my Catholic friends who have welcomed me into this forum, that is highly unlikely. I know the deep rooted bitterness that many Native Americans, not just among my own people, hold against Christianity.
I don't disagree. What I wrote was a way for the Cherokee nation to get far more than what they are seeking. It moves God's heart to act in their favor with all his knowledge and power. It doesn't have anything to do with "Christianity," it has to do with the living person Jesus, and the love, blessings, and help he gives to those who believe in him and choose to follow him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't disagree. What I wrote was a way for the Cherokee nation to get far more than what they are seeking. It moves God's heart to act in their favor with all his knowledge and power. It doesn't have anything to do with "Christianity," it has to do with the living person Jesus, and the love, blessings, and help he gives to those who believe in him and choose to follow him.

I am sorry to say that over 35 years of personal experience with this has taught me otherwise.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry to say that over 35 years of personal experience with this has taught me otherwise.
Then I pray you start believing what God said instead of your experiences. That is the beginning of experiencing what God said.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is one phrase to sum it all up - Kill the Indian, Save the Man. And out of that racially motivated mindset came the American Indian Boarding Schools and the centuries of cultural genocide, and before that, there was Manifest Destiny.
I had friends among the Lakota who described to me their experiences in boarding schools. It broke my heart.

It wasn't like that in every case. St. Herman of Alaska had a very different relationship with the Aleuts, and I know those there today who still have the faith he brought to them in the 1700s.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Most Cherokee are Christian and the Nation puts out Christian statements on the major holidays.

Why wouldn't God want the Cherokee nation to be compensated for land and resources that were promised to them and then illegally taken? The Feds can't be blamed for every injustice the Indians sufferred. But when they formally agreed to do something via treaty, then broke it, they are indeed guilty of that particular injustice and ones that resulted from it.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My statement has nothing to do with what they deserve, even with what they might receive or not receive. It has to do whether they have entrusted themselves fully to God or not (which I do not know the answer to).

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. (Matthew 6:33, 1984 NIV)

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums