Chemical Design - teach the controversy!

MartinM

GondolierAce
Feb 9, 2003
Visit site
✟5,655.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Taking their lead from the success of the ID movement, the reDiscovery Institute is doing for chemistry what their ID counterparts have done for biology:

Chemical Design, a new theory that holds that an unspecified superior intellect is the only reasonable mechanism to account for the complexity of chemistry, is increasingly appearing in science forums and journals as an alternative to Chemical Periodicity.

Chemical Periodicity has been widely accepted in scientific circles ever since Mendeleev proposed it in 1869.

However the new Design Theory's support by a handful of chemists and non-scientists has put Mendeleevists on the defensive, while encouraging those who consider Chemical Periodicity something akin to a religious belief. Recently the Cobb County Board of Education, representing a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia, scheduled a vote on whether to place warning labels on Periodic Tables. The Kansas State Board of Education has voted to reconsider the role of Mendeleev's Theory of Chemical Periodicity in their curriculum. Although these actions are causing consternation among Mendeleevists, Dr. Azo Mazur, a Fellow of the reDiscovery Institute, notes that the goal is to allow teachers to teach the best science. He believes teachers need to teach that Chemical Periodicity is simply a theory and that other theories can also explain the data.

Chemical Periodicitists brand the new ideas as an unscientific melange of politics and religion. "It is at its bottom a Christian religious movement," said Chemical Periodicitist Barbara Woody, a professor at Northeastern Louisiana State Community College, and a leading critic of the Chemical Design Movement. Dr. Mazur chuckles in response as he describes the intellectual gymnastics of the Mendeleevists, who have been forced to renumber elements by atomic number instead of atomic mass, and have added entire rows and columns over the years to make their Chemical Periodicity Theory fit their notions of what should be.

Designer Argument

Chemical Design supporters argue that Chemical Periodicity cannot answer some large questions of chemistry and chemical reactivity.

"Science doesn't progress by ignoring something that is staring you in the face," says Michael Behe, a Lehigh University professor of biochemistry and an advocate of Intelligent Design. Intelligent Design and Chemical Design are closely related new theories.

Chemical Design holds that the properties of certain chemicals, such as methane and propane, cannot be explained by Mendeleevist Chemical Periodicity. Similarly, Intelligent Design argues that advanced living systems cannot be explained by Darwinist Evolution. Dr. Behe proposes that complex biochemical systems cannot be produced by successive small modifications (mutations) of a precursor system. Dr. Mazur believes that methane and propane cannot react with oxygen to form water and carbon dioxide. These molecules were designed to be stable in oxidizing environments he claims, though designed by whom he is reluctant to say.

God of Gaps

Mendeleevists, who comprise a dwindling and embattled majority of chemists, say that Mazur and others are appropriating what is yet unknown to conclude that it must arise from a higher intelligence.

Spearheading the Chemical Design Movement is the reDiscovery Institute, a non-profit, non-partisan, public policy think tank dealing with science, technology and policy. For more information, browse the reDiscovery Institute Web Site

per_table.gif

I think we need to get Mechanical Bliss in touch with these guys.

c'mon sense

Mar 18, 2005
✟15,528.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I admire you guys who pull up the muscle for a laugh... I for one am appalled. After Christian ID is established, what will be the next alternative "theories"? All religions who have a basic guiding text can claim one. The Dark Ages will be an oasis of light in comparison.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moo

Neo-Storkist
Aug 23, 2004
✟306.00
Faith
Agnostic
c'mon sense said:
I admire you guys who pull up the muscle for a laugh... I for one am appalled. After Christian ID is established, what will be the next alternative "theories"? All religions who have a basic guiding text can claim one. The Dark Ages will be an oasis of light in comparison.

Yeah, it'll be like giving in to terrorists. If we give in to one, it just opens the floodgates with other terrorists trying to push their luck.
If we let ID into the science classrooms, then every "alternative theory" wacko will demand they get equal rights too, Holocaust Deniers, Moonlanding Deniers, Geocentrics, Flat-Earthers etc.

Or how about "Faith Healers" should be given equal time in hospitals?
"Every hospital I know of uses all that medicine/surgery nonsense... it's just not fair!!!11 :mad: "

That Solar System page looks like it'll be fun. :)

Upvote 0

Humanista

Empirically Speaking
Sep 21, 2002
Visit site
✟12,499.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
If things continue to regress they way they appear to be heading, I predict not only will the US be viewed around the world as very curious and pathetic land of fat, rich, insular and shallow people, but also oddly anti-scientific and superstitious.

Meanwhile, scientific discovery and research will simply move abroad and we will be left behind, with our chanting and stick shaking amongst the McMansions, violence and blatant vulgarity.

I'm not feeling very optimistic today.

Upvote 0
ImmortalTechnique said:
although there ARE creationists worldwide, why is it so prevalent here (in the US)
why isn't there a french or german kent hovind? why does it find such a foothold here?

/me posts this inflammatory link

/me runs away giggling.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Praxiteles said:
* Praxiteles posts this inflammatory link

* Praxiteles runs away giggling.

From the inflammatory link:

"On the 'Greatest American' shortlist: Barbara Bush, Laura Bush, Ellen Degeneres, John Edwards, Brett Favre, Mel Gibson, Michael Jackson, Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Phil, Martha Stewart, Pat Tillman, Donald Trump, and Dubya (from AOL Television)"

Compare that to the CBCs top ten in the Greatest Canadian poll. The only bonzo to make the short list was Don Cherry. And it was really good to see Tommy Douglas come out on top. No one on that American list comes anywhere close to Tommy Douglas. Or most of the other nominees on the short list. Ellen Degeneres? Sheesh!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lilandra

Princess-Majestrix
Dec 9, 2004
state of mind
Visit site
✟19,703.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Must have missed it.

gluadys said:

"On the 'Greatest American' shortlist: Barbara Bush, Laura Bush, Ellen Degeneres, John Edwards, Brett Favre, Mel Gibson, Michael Jackson, Rush Limbaugh, Dr. Phil, Martha Stewart, Pat Tillman, Donald Trump, and Dubya (from AOL Television)"

Compare that to the CBCs top ten in the Greatest Canadian poll. The only bonzo to make the short list was Don Cherry. And it was really good to see Tommy Douglas come out on top. No one on that American list comes anywhere close to Tommy Douglas. Or most of the other nominees on the short list. Ellen Degeneres? Sheesh!

Upvote 0
gluadys said:

Mel Gibson? Mel Gibson?

:eek:

Upvote 0
consideringlily said:

Quite. Rupert Murdoch, too.

And you're quite welcome to both of them. :)

Seriously, though, I couldn't believe that he could get onto a list of greatest Americans. I mean, what are the selection criteria?

Upvote 0