I bring nothing to the table
Feb 28, 2007
Upstate NY
✟56,288.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No surprise. Rules are rules and they were broken. I certainly see no harm in retooling the rules to allow them though. As disturbing as I find the "purity ring" thing that is a separate thread which we have had a couple of times at least. I see no harm in a dress code that would alow it.

Upvote 0

TuxThePenguin

Ghost of Corporate Future
Apr 12, 2005
Bradford
✟16,260.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
... "but her father Phil, who is a pastor, said she wanted to pursue the case because of its wider significance for all Christians"... [bolding mine]

Does anyone believe it was all her and Phil had nothing to do with it?

.."
Miss Playfoot's father to pay £12,000 towards the school's legal costs."

Maybe this will help dissuade the next one.

I agree with Terry Sanderson of the
National Secular Society

"
"The case was a manipulative attempt to impose a particular religious viewpoint on this school and, presumably, on other schools if this case had been won."

Upvote 0

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I just don't see how wearing a ring or letting someone wear a ring imposes any message on the school.
It doesn't matter whether or not it imposes a message. The school had a dress-code, and she broke that dress-code, and got punished for it. If someone were to wear any other ring that wasn't allowed, they would get punished in the same way.

For example, a Catholic student would (should) be allowed to wear ash on Ash Wednesday without violating the dress code.

Isn't that why Indian girls wear a dot on their forehead, to show chastity?
Not Indians, but Hindus. Not all Indians are Hindus. The dot has an actual religious importance. She chose on her own to wear a chastity ring, it's not in itself a religious thing.

Upvote 0

Pogue

left CF, please see profile for further details
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2006
http://www.thesonscafe.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15
✟59,840.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
I agree with mom. This is a stupid rule. If she wants to wear that silly ring, she should be able to. Dress codes are silly in general but this is absurd. If she were a teacher, then I would say that she should not wear it. Teachers are authority figures who, in some way, are representatives of the state (teaching a government-developed curriculum, paid by gov't, etc). But, in a school, the students should be allowed to wear whatever they want provided that they don't offend the community standard for decency and provided that said standard does not offend the notions of equality and non-discrimination. Who cares if it is religiously-mandated or not?

Reactions: MomWhoThinks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DhaliClone

Oct 28, 2004
✟17,207.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
School dress codes forbidding jewlery? That's just stupid, and stupid rules need to be challenged.
OK, so challenge them on a legislative basis. Try to get the policy changed via a school board vote.

I thought "conservatives" were against judges legislating from the bench. Oh, wait, that's only if it's something they disagree with, nevermind. The hypocracy is amazing.

Upvote 0

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The school dress code exists for two reasons 1) its an equalizer; making rich and poor pupils indistinguishable. 2) Health and safety.. the school I went to didn't have a jewelery ban initially but it was introduced because of injuries. For example a girl had to go to A&E because she was involved in an incident with a fellow pupil and had one of her earings ripped out... Blood everywhere!

Upvote 0

Jonathan David

Revolutionary Dancer
Jan 19, 2004
Home.... mostly
Visit site
✟21,356.00
Faith
Judaism
The school dress code exists for two reasons 1) its an equalizer; making rich and poor pupils indistinguishable. 2) Health and safety.. the school I went to didn't have a jewelery ban initially but it was introduced because of injuries. For example a girl had to go to A&E because she was involved in an incident with a fellow pupil and had one of her earings ripped out... Blood everywhere!
My understanding is that anyone who has been to a private school (and I do not count myself among them) will tell you that, despite uniforms, there are plenty of ways of distinguishing class and coolness. I have heard that shoes take on disproportionate importance as they are not often a part of the uniform beyond a requirement that they be "black." As for the ban on jewelry, I would argue that it is overly broad. If we are concerned about earring, permit studs but not large hoops. I am not sure how rings come into play. I suppose that you can make a punch hurt more with a ring... but at that point, a rule isn't fixing much. I mean, a punch is going to hurt one way or the other. And, if violence gets out of control, perhaps the purity ring thing girl can start a "thou shall not deck thy classmate" bracelet thing.

I'm just being snarky. I get the supposed benefits of the uniform. I just don't like the method. I would rather that we lived in a society that erased class difference... rather than just masking it beneath a kilt.

Reactions: LovesToRead
Upvote 0

SteveAtheist

Jun 28, 2007
✟8,812.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
School dress codes forbidding jewlery? That's just stupid, and stupid rules need to be challenged.

I went to an all boys Catholic school that forbade jewelry, with the exception of Senior rings. No necklaces that showed, no earrings or piercings of any kind.

Do you think that it was stupid of them to dissallow jewelry in my school?

BTW - we also had hair cut rules, shoe rules, belt rules and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MomWhoThinks

Worship not the CF Wikigod
Dec 21, 2005
Visit site
✟488.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went to an all boys Catholic school that forbade jewelry, with the exception of Senior rings. No necklaces that showed, no earrings or piercings of any kind.

Do you think that it was stupid of them to dissallow jewelry in my school?

BTW - we also had hair cut rules, shoe rules, belt rules and a whole bunch of other stuff.
So why the exception for senior rings? Because the school made money off them? What about married students? No weddings rings?! I can see setting uniform standards, but not double standards that discriminate against a persons religion and micromanages what kind of jewelry they can wear. If a crucifix is okay, a star of David necklace should pass as well. If a class ring or wedding ring is fine, a purity ring shouldn't be banned.

Upvote 0

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My understanding is that anyone who has been to a private school (and I do not count myself among them) will tell you that, despite uniforms, there are plenty of ways of distinguishing class and coolness. I have heard that shoes take on disproportionate importance as they are not often a part of the uniform beyond a requirement that they be "black." As for the ban on jewelry, I would argue that it is overly broad. If we are concerned about earring, permit studs but not large hoops. I am not sure how rings come into play. I suppose that you can make a punch hurt more with a ring... but at that point, a rule isn't fixing much. I mean, a punch is going to hurt one way or the other. And, if violence gets out of control, perhaps the purity ring thing girl can start a "thou shall not deck thy classmate" bracelet thing.

I'm just being snarky. I get the supposed benefits of the uniform. I just don't like the method. I would rather that we lived in a society that erased class difference... rather than just masking it beneath a kilt.

It was a stud earing :)

The whole point of an uniform is well to make pupils "uniform" true there is a certain amount of earning "coolness" through having slightly nicer uniforms but people are not prepared to go as far as normal clothing that can be worn in and out of school.

The question I ask myself is why would a student want to wear jewelery in school?

Upvote 0

SteveAtheist

Jun 28, 2007
✟8,812.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
So why the exception for senior rings? Because the school made money off them? What about married students? No weddings rings?! I can see setting uniform standards, but not double standards that discriminate against a persons religion and micromanages what kind of jewelry they can wear. If a crucifix is okay, a star of David necklace should pass as well. If a class ring or wedding ring is fine, a purity ring shouldn't be banned.

I was relating the rules at my school in response to your calling a 'no jewelry' rule 'stupid'. The rules in my school, and probably many others, were not to discriminate against a persons religion. There are many valid reasons for not allowing jewelry, some of which have been listed on this board. Class distiction is one, and uniformity of appearance is another. For instance, a school that wants to prevent multiple face pearcings and economic disctincions may make a sweeping 'no jewelry' rule to avert any possible conflicts.

In this girls case, the rule was in place before she wore the ring and she broke that rule, regardless of 'why' she wore the ring. This is not about religous persecution, its just about the rules applying to all students equally.

Upvote 0