Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, now he's got his second wind, he can just do the work of an evangelist. He was my pastor for a while when I was a teenager. The church was too big for me to get to know him.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟433,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
His ministry has greatly influenced my spiritual journey, for many years.
I have watched him on television, and listened to him on radio, and internet, for years ...
ever since first making my decision to follow the Lord.

I can understand the decision to step down from pastoring.
I hope we will continue to see and hear his sermons on tv, radio, etc.

May God bless Charles Stanley abundantly.
(He feels like 'family' to me ... but then, of course, in Christ he is!
:blush:)

Upvote 0

HopeInJesusOnly

Sep 18, 2019
Home
✟14,230.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh no, he is my main minister. I love him but I understand as he is in his 80's. I am happy for him. That is sad for us.:(

Agreed. No one compares to this man.

On my worst days, I would fall asleep to his sermons as they gave me comfort. I miss him already.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Still I'm confused about this, he decidedly doesn't believe in retirement... but this will definitely cut his work. I wonder if due to his age the church wanted him to step down now, or if this was truly his choice...If his choice, is his health failing, I wonder...

I have to say, Charles Stanley is a great man of God. Much respect.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I, my wife and I, will miss him greatly. The article said that he is continuing to work in his In Touch ministry at almost 90. I have always loved, WE have always loved his expounding upon God's Word. He has always been an exemplary role model of humility and love which gives his wisdom a meaty meal. Thank you so much, Dr. Stanley, for your servitude to the Father. He loves you so, so much. You WILL hear those words, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant" and you WILL be casting a Magnificently GLORIOUS crown at our Savior's feet. I look forward to seeing your foot prints and shadow continued on in "In Touch."
1f60a.png

I think retirement to Dr. Stanley is what the "American Dream" says it is, time for focus upon one's indulgence in self-centered enjoyments and relaxation: the entitlement scene, so to speak. Even if one stops working here or there and even takes a "retirement pkg," it does not necessarily mean at all that they stop working or that they have begun a self-servitude, relaxation, or luxurious phase of life. NOT AT ALL!

I have noticed that in the past few years Pastor Stanley has had to have a stool/chair behind him to rest upon or sit in as he preached, but he never stayed in it very long; only long enough to regain his strength or till the pain subsided. Also, his mind, as cognitive as it still is, appears to have to work extra hard to keep on track for an extended period for his sermons. But although he may wander he has beautifully recovered and kept it coherent, admirably. he is able to still work, as he intends, just in a different capacity. As we age, that is what ultimately we must all accept and adapt to in a manner which utilizes our facilities that are still able to be efficiently and effectively implemented or we could just refuse to accept our used up or worn out facilities and refuse to change and adapt and ....., be someone no one wants to be around. Obviously, Pastor Stanley is one who can accept and adapt, as hard as it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He baptized me in 1971 when he was just settling in after a challenging beginning at FBC. He also wrote a recommendation for me when I applied to Dallas Seminary. He has my great respect.

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Still I'm confused about this, he decidedly doesn't believe in retirement... but this will definitely cut his work. I wonder if due to his age the church wanted him to step down now, or if this was truly his choice...If his choice, is his health failing, I wonder...

I have to say, Charles Stanley is a great man of God. Much respect.
A lot of people say they're against retirement but then age catches up with them. This guy is in his 80s. For all we know he's got a diagnosis of some sort that he doesn't care to share yet and that is his reason for stepping back. It could also be that the work is wearing him out to the point he can't do it like he used to. How a man feels at 60 is not the same as 80, unfortunately the 60 year old self doesn't anticipate how difficult things will be at 80.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Charles Stanley is 88 y/o. I like both him and his son Andrew. Great preachers.
Yes, but he goes by Andy on "Your Move." I like his fast-paced, automatic weapon fire style of his sermons as it keeps you working hard and straining, listening on the edge of your seat but they lack the depth and focus his father provides. He is still good to listen to even if it is just for a great brain exercise/workout in good material. He seems to cater to the much younger audiences than his father of which there hasn't been much time yet, to accumulate a lot of depth and wisdom to their thought life. I can see your bias towards his formal name, Andrewn. :blush:

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How a man feels at 60 is not the same as 80, unfortunately the 60 year old self doesn't anticipate how difficult things will be at 80.
My internal medicine Dr. informed me that a WHOLE LOT of physical degradation occurs between the ages of 55-60 when I shared with him my frustrations of such at 58 or so, regardless of how hard we exercise or psyche ourselves up. In my experiences I see those who devote exponentially more time and work and pain trying to deny such. They SHOW that they can perform the same but what they don't share is how much more time and exercise, practice, and pain they endure just to perform the same show. They hide this evidence from others that their body HAS degraded and delude themselves in their denial: PRIDE of Life (1 Jn 2:16.) And those fortunate ones who had occupations which did not task their bodies with high impacts and strains and injuries and the like (as I and many, many others) who now run Marathons and such in their retirement years, great for you, but don't be foolish enough to even begin comparing your abilities with one who has beat, stressed, strained, and injured their bodies for decades as a course of the demands of their occupations.

I was mobilized for Iraq (OIF) at age 52, the oldest in my platoon of 55 soldiers, 85% + under 25. When we arrived at Camp for our 13 week preparation before deploying we were given an APFT (Physical ability test) to see how fit we had been keeping ourselves on our own. I tied with the highest scorer, a State Trooper in his mid-30s. I share this to say how well I have exercised and maintained my body. (Do not ask me about that today, please. But I have revived a new initiative which I have entered in the past week; a new training routine and diet modification with MCT oil and collagen/peptide powder on its way. Please pray for me and my God-empowered success.) At age 55 I suffered two strokes, age 56 debilitating sciatica with a lumbar disectomy that went bad, and an ascending aortic aneurysm was discovered after my deployment which I had to live with increasing in size (thinning walls) for 10 yrs, the last year or two with a limit of 15# lifting before the insurance co would pay for the surgery. This later had me living like I was 100 yrs old or I could fall over dead from a ruptured aneurysm. At age 61 I suffered a big-toe metatarsal joint repair failure surgery leaving me with NOTHING between my joint bones (the glove implant dissolved) and a cut nerve which I have to take three meds at night to be able to sleep through the pain. I cannot walk for exercise or do anything which works that joint. I think that by age 60 or so I had a good idea of what it will be like at 80 or 100, the Lord willing and I thank God for that opportunity. I am sure that there will probably be other things like incontinence, an even more depleted "RAM", and other problems. I have had my chest sawed in half and spread apart and a section of my aorta and valve removed and a Dacron tube replacement sewn in and my own valve sewn into it. When you are in that freezing surgery room getting ready to go under with intimidating, multi-stationed teams all around and have your body invaded and life put all on artificial machines and maybe not ever wake up again in this realm or wake up with seriously disabling fallout, I think one gets prepped for whatever the future might bring. Before the surgery as in mine, one has much time to think about things and to contemplate the future should they survive the surgery. When one prepares for such a surgery room visit, whatever age, if they are a faithful believer in Christ, they learn/practice (hopefully) a faith which will get them through anything the future might hold. That is the best preparation for the unknown future; hand in hand with God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hopefully he can enjoy a long healthy semi-retirement.
What most younger people haven't realized yet is that when one gets up there in years one is now taking all kinds of meds for all kinds of things which slow them down, make it very difficult to wake up in the morning (no amount of the tabooed coffee will work), and all kinds of other side effects which impede one, BUT one discovers that doctors consider harsher, even fatal, possible side effects an acceptable risk when they are treating stuff that could be fatal. Additionally, there are all kinds of blasted things which accumulate that you just can not ignore that one has to do to take care of themselves which take a LOT of precious time, like rubbing in several layers of pain or anti-inflammatory creme every night and having to diligently wash your hands so you don't burn your eyeball out from rubbing it in your sleep, cleaning and filling a CPAP machine, extra time caring for teeth/dentures, drugs which have all kinds of rules precluding eating and drinking coffee or ever eating stuff you love, like grapefruit, needing to move slower, esp when standing up even if you can move three times faster (if you do not remember, your body will remind you as you start to pass out), and all kinds of other joyful stuff. But we learn to be content with whatever life throws at us if we are faithfully relying upon our Heavenly Father. So, even though one may only work part-time usually there may be a full time job of following all of the doctors rules to take care of oneself. When we are younger, we think it is not going to happen to me, but we cannot beat the decay and death of our bodies/tents. The Lord IS good and will provide, regardless.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What most younger people haven't realized yet is that when one gets up there in years one is now taking all kinds of meds for all kinds of things which slow them down, make it very difficult to wake up in the morning (no amount of the tabooed coffee will work), and all kinds of other side effects which impede one, BUT one discovers that doctors consider harsher, even fatal, possible side effects an acceptable risk when they are treating stuff that could be fatal. Additionally, there are all kinds of blasted things which accumulate that you just can not ignore that one has to do to take care of themselves which take a LOT of precious time, like rubbing in several layers of pain or anti-inflammatory creme every night and having to diligently wash your hands so you don't burn your eyeball out from rubbing it in your sleep, cleaning and filling a CPAP machine, extra time caring for teeth/dentures, drugs which have all kinds of rules precluding eating and drinking coffee or ever eating stuff you love, like grapefruit, needing to move slower, esp when standing up even if you can move three times faster (if you do not remember, your body will remind you as you start to pass out), and all kinds of other joyful stuff. But we learn to be content with whatever life throws at us if we are faithfully relying upon our Heavenly Father. So, even though one may only work part-time usually there may be a full time job of following all of the doctors rules to take care of oneself. When we are younger, we think it is not going to happen to me, but we cannot beat the decay and death of our bodies/tents. The Lord IS good and will provide, regardless.
Been there, doing that. :)

God bless and take care.

• Agree
Reactions: Monksailor
Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Been there, doing that. :)

God bless and take care.
I had a sense that there were plenty here with what I described and much worse going on in their lives. If i only knew how foolish I was working so hard, 3 jobs simultaneously sometimes and two jobs most of the time, trying to provide the most that I could for my "wanting" family (while I was absent) and thinking that when I retired I would be able to rest and enjoy life. Oh how much I wish someone had beat it into me that that was so foolish and that I should have been happy with being financially poor but rich in family relationships and enjoying doing the outdoor things I love while my body was still able.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟811,949.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I had a sense that there were plenty here with what I described and much worse going on in their lives. If i only knew how foolish I was working so hard, 3 jobs simultaneously sometimes and two jobs most of the time, trying to provide the most that I could for my "wanting" family (while I was absent) and thinking that when I retired I would be able to rest and enjoy life. Oh how much I wish someone had beat it into me that that was so foolish and that I should have been happy with being financially poor but rich in family relationships and enjoying doing the outdoor things I love while my body was still able.
LOL, I worked on the railroad, maintaining the tracks. That was extremely hard and physically damaging work. We did things almost the same way that they did in the late 1800's so almost no one made it to retirement age before the bodies broke down and they were put on disability. That being said, my motto was "I don't live to work, I work to live".

I always put God and family before work.

Upvote 0