• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Charles Spurgeon on Christians and war.

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by Michael Snow, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Michael Snow

Michael Snow Member

+63
    Christian
    Married
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,210
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Quaker, upon finding a burglar in the house: "Friend, I would thee no harm, but thee standest where I am about to shoot!"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,946
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    I was a pacifist for a while back in my younger days, but have not been so now for decades. However, I still maintain that Christians have gone to war too easily at times. I especially believe that the Revolutionary War was not all that necessary and probably not justified under Augustine's Just War Doctrine. The Civil War probably could have been avoided by letting the South leave the Union peacefully. Slavery would have ended eventually. Still, I will admit that the Civil War is not nearly as clear cut a choice as the Revolutionary War. The Iraq War seems like it was an unjustified invasion by the U.S. of a foreign country. As for WW II, I see no other alternative than to have gone to war against a terrible evil.

4. Michael Snow

Michael Snow Member

+63
    Christian
    Married
    Agree, there was no alternative to WW II. What we need to remember was that WWI, which should have never happened, laid the ground work for the rise of a Hitler with Versaille.

5. Basil the Great

Basil the Great Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,946
    Christian
    Private
    US-Green
    Yes, evidence shows the tie between WWI and WW II.

6. AgapeBible

AgapeBible Member

+160
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    What bothers me is there are all these Christians owning guns. They support private citizens having whole weapons collection of guns, that the government should not interfere with gun owners. Of course there should be government registration, control, records of who owns what guns, a waiting period, laws against criminals, the mentally ill or mentally disturbed trouble makers should not be allowed to own a gun. Guns should not be allowed to bring in public places unless you are a police officer or some sort of military person, or a government agent.

There has been too many school shootings, too many public shootings too much blood has been shed already. When there is a school shooting, you wonder where the kid got the gun, most likely from home. We need more homes without guns, I am so glad my parents raised me in a home with no guns and taught me to be peaceful, to love and forgive.

Kids need to be taught to stop being so violent and angry, quit playing violent video games and watching violent movies. Fighting is wrong, war is wrong, only if it is a war of self defense to fight persecution and annihalation, like in WWII when Hitler tried to wipe out all the Jews.

People don't need a machine gun to go hunting. What kind of people get their pleasure from killing animals anyway?

War is good for nothing. The Vietnam war was totally unnecessary, it was a political war. The USA has had several little political wars. Wars that came from politics, greed, power hunger, selfishness, hatred racism bigotry, these wars are wrong! Trying to help people in foreign countries is a good thing, but when the USA starts shooting and bombing people, how are they suppose to listen?

Jesus told Peter to put away his sword. Jesus would not support the violence that goes on today that a lot of Christians are into. He would probably have liberal politics if He were on earth as a man right now, So I think we need to love each other, forgive and stop the massacres.

7. Lavaduder

Lavaduder Member

+48
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Perhaps showing the consequences of violence will help.
    Ha no... liberalism has adopted homosex, usury, abortion, ETC. God would have perfect policies.

8. Lavaduder

Lavaduder Member

+48
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    You do realize that hunters like to preserve the game they hunt right?

9. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,210
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    Why does it matter whether it is Christians or not? Sounds like you need a good world history course.

10. 9Rock9

9Rock9 Sinner in need of grace.

+83
    United States
    Baptist
    Private
    US-Republican
    IIRC, many in the Union were fine with the South seceding from the Union, and the war started over the Confederacy firing upon Fort Sumter. This was taken as an act of aggression against the Union, although the Confederacy considered Fort Sumter as part of their territory and Union soldiers stationed on it, and saw themselves asserting their sovereignty against foreign occupiers.

With the Revolutionary War, it was caused mostly over the Colonists not having representation in the Parliament. They did try to compromise with the British, but went to war when all that failed. It wasn't taxation in and of itself they were against, but the fact they were being taxed without representation.

11. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,361
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Constitution
    We know God uses evil to drive out evil. I've never understood those who profess Christ and seek out career positions that would have them take the life of someone else as part of that occupation. I can't help to think back to Scripture when the soldiers asked Christ what they should do. If anything, I would have expect Him to tell them to quit their jobs, but He simply said to be satisfied with their wages.