Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have a book on the Psalms by Spurgeon,
The verse for this morning is
Psalms 67:6
God, even our own God, shall bless us.

Spurgeon points out that he is 'our own God'
... never be in need while you have God to go to.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Psalms 119:49
Remember the Word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.

Are you faint and feeble because your way is rough and you are weary?
Here is the promise, 'He giveth power to the faint' (Isaiah 40:29). Ask him to fulfill His own Word.
Spurgeon

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
395742-Charles-H-Spurgeon-Quote-Whenever-GOD-determines-to-do-a-great.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2021
SW Florida
✟15,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Good morning Evangelicals and Assembly of God.

Here is a statement of faith by Spurgeon:

"What is the heresy of Rome, but the addition of something to the perfect merits of Jesus Christ—the bringing in of the works of the flesh, to assist in our justification? And what is the heresy of Arminianism but the addition of something to the work of the Redeemer? Every heresy, if brought to the touchstone, will discover itself here. I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel, if we do not preach justification by faith, without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel, unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called, and suffers the children of God to be burned in the fires of damnation after having once believed in Jesus. Such a gospel I abhor."

From A Defense of Calvinism by Charles Spurgeon"

So, was he Calvinist? And if so, does it color everything else that he believed with those assumptions of Calvinism?

• Winner
Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2021
SW Florida
✟15,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm new so and don't know if links may be posted. This book review would give talking points to debate, as Spurgeon says that Calvinism is the only doctrine for him and that Arminianism is a heresy.

What's Wrong With Calvinism

What's Wrong With Calvinism
Review of 'Does God Love Everyone?' by Jerry L. Walls

GEORGE P WOOD

The past two decades have witnessed a resurgence of Calvinism among American evangelicals. This resurgence is especially evident within the Southern Baptist Convention, which historically has been and still is divided over the issue. However, it has also made its presence felt in Pentecostal denominations such as the Assemblies of God, which do not have historic ties to Calvinism.

By Calvinism, I mean specifically the doctrine of salvation that is commonly explained by means of the acronym, TULIP:

• T = Total depravity
  • U = Unconditional election
  • L = Limited atonement
  • I = Irresistible grace
  • P = Perseverance of the saints
In the seventeenth century, Jacob Arminius—a Dutch Reformed theologian—set forth a different understanding of salvation that has been called Arminianism after him. It is sometimes explained by means of the acronym, FACTS:

• F = Freed by grace to believe
  • A = Atonement for all
  • C = Conditional election
  • T = Total depravity
  • S = Security in Christ
In Does God Love Everyone? Jerry L. Walls—an evangelical philosopher—outlines an argument against Calvinism and for Arminianism. Its strength is that it focuses on the central point of the disagreement between them. Walls writes:

The deepest issue that divides Arminians and Calvinists is not the sovereignty of God, predestination, or the authority of the Bible. The deepest difference pertains to how we understand the character of God. Is God good in the sense that he deeply and sincerely loves all people?

According to Walls, the answer of Arminianism is “Yes.” The answer of Calvinism is “No.” As Calvinist author Arthur W. Pink put it in The Sovereignty of God: “When we say that God is sovereign in the exercise of His love, we mean that He loves whom he chooses. God does not love everybody…” Walls argues that Pink’s statement is characteristic of Calvinism, even if it’s stated with a bluntness uncharacteristic of most Calvinists.

A god who can save all but chooses not to is not the God whom the Bible reveals.
To see why this is so, consider the argument Walls makes:

1. God truly loves all persons.
  2. Not all persons will be saved.
  3. Truly to love someone is to desire their well-being and to promote their true flourishing as much as you properly can.
  4. The well-being and true flourishing of all persons is to be found in a right relationship with God, a saving relationship in which we love and obey him.
  5. God could give all persons “irresistible grace” and thereby determine all persons to freely accept a right relationship with himself and be saved.
  6. Therefore, all persons will be saved.
Clearly, this set of propositions contains a contradiction between 2 and 6. Both Calvinists and Arminians affirm 2, however. They’re not universalists, in other words. Similarly, both affirm 4.

So, how do they resolve the contradiction? Arminians do so by denying 5. They deny, in other words, that grace is irresistible.

Irresistible grace is part and parcel of Calvinism, however. It’s the I in TULIP. That means Calvinists must deny either 1 or 3. That is, they must deny either that “God truly loves all persons” or that “Truly to love someone is to desire their well-being and to promote their true flourishing as much as you properly can.” As noted above, Arthur W. Pink clearly denied 1. (Walls quotes Calvin himself to similar effect.)

Contemporary Calvinists rarely deny 1, however. Instead, they affirm that God truly loves all persons. For example, D. A. Carson affirms that God loves everyone in the sense that He exercises “providential love over all that he has made” and adopts a “salvific stance toward his fallen world.” However, Carson denies that God gives everyone the “particular, effective, selecting love toward his elect.” It’s hard to square this “love” for “all persons” with the definition of love in 3. A God who could but chooses not to bestow “particular, effective, selecting love” on everyone does not “truly” love them because He does not seek their eternal “well-being” and “true flourishing.”

Walls suggests one further wrinkle when he discusses John Piper, probably the best known Baptist Calvinist. Walls argues that Piper denies 5, not by ditching “irresistible grace” but by suggesting that God has a “greater value” than salvation. Such as what? Piper writes, “The answer the Reformed give is that the greater value is the manifestation of the full range of God’s glory in wrath and mercy (Rom. 9:21–23) and the humbling of man so he enjoys giving all credit to God for his salvation (1 Cor. 1:29).” Because of this “greater value,” it seems that Piper denies God “could give all persons ‘irresistible grace’ [to be saved].” Some evidently must be condemned for God’s glory.

In order to maintain God’s sovereignty in election then, or to promote God’s glory, Calvinism denies that God loves everyone in the truest sense. Like Walls, I find this denial difficult to swallow. A god who can save all but chooses not to is not the God whom the Bible reveals, a God who is love (1 John 4:8).

Walls’ book is a brief outline of a much larger argument. Those looking for a more detailed argument should pick up his Why I Am Not a Calvinist, coauthored with Joseph R. Dongell. But that argument, even in outline form here, is difficult to rebut, as far as I am concerned.

DoesGodLoveEveryone600.jpg
Book Reviewed: Jerry L. Walls, Does God Love Everyone? The Heart of What Is Wrong with Calvinism (Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2016).

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
The deepest issue that divides Arminians and Calvinists is not the sovereignty of God, predestination, or the authority of the Bible. The deepest difference pertains to how we understand the character of God. Is God good in the sense that he deeply and sincerely loves all people?
There are Reformed (aka Calvinist) believers like myself that happily agree with TULIP and believe that God deeply and sincerely loves all people. We do not, however, believe that God loves all people equally nor with the same particular care and attention. The 'awful' (in the old sense, that seems to have disappeared nowadays) love of God is overwhelming; his love is not very much like ours. CS Lewis says, “Holy places are dark places. It is life and strength, not knowledge and words, that we get in them. Holy wisdom is not clear and thin like water, but thick and dark like blood.” I hope you don't need to ask what has that to do with God's love, because it has everything to do with it, and I don't know how to explain it well. Think: Death of Christ.

Two things come to mind about the Love of God:

1. It is based on himself, and not on the value of humans. That doesn't mean they are not worth anything to him, but that their value is derived from his purpose, his use, for them, and his assessment of them —not from anything intrinsic to themselves. We love to attribute sentience to ourselves, as if that makes God's decisions loving only if he respects that status. (I think the angels would laugh at the notion of our sentience compared to God's, or even compared to theirs. We are barely alive. We are made to be one with him, and apart from him we can do nothing. We are made in his image, and will not be complete beings, I think, until we see him as he is. THEN we will understand sentience. We were categorically made FOR GOD, in a way no other creature —not even the angels— are made.)

2. He is altogether Holy, Pure and Just. These do not limit his love —rather, they help to define it for us. They are not separable from his love. There is an awful theme in the power of sin vs God's redemption of his particular people. I've already written too long to go into it, but the whole of Creation was done for the purpose of the this war and its outcome —the production of a people for himself, to his glory. God hurt himself (the bruised heel) for our sakes and I think it is a permanent injury. That is no small thing, for the Almighty.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have a book on the Psalms by Spurgeon,
The verse for this morning is
Psalms 67:6
God, even our own God, shall bless us.

Spurgeon points out that he is 'our own God'
... never be in need while you have God to go to.
There is enough of God's will to go around as well as safe, partition-less philosophies to make our "election sure". So many authors have the ability to influence well beyond to "add to me" a sound portion.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
There is enough of God's will to go around as well as safe, partition-less philosophies to make our "election sure". So many authors have the ability to influence well beyond to "add to me" a sound portion.
Maybe you can re-state that for the ignorant of what you mean, like myself.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Maybe you can re-state that for the ignorant of what you mean, like myself.
For THAT reason, I will not, for you are not. Lest you can convince me to elaborate specifically.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟788,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
That which involves both in the securing of it, God & man (1 Pet 1:10).

Just because Gal 2:6 added nothing to the man of God in that instance, doesn't forever after stymie the possibility from ever taking place.
So you have whereof to boast, in securing your own salvation.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5:8
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Spurgeon says, "What a privilege it is to see God here! A glimpse of him is heaven below! In Christ Jesus the pure in heart behold the Father. ... Lord, make us pure in heart, that we may see thee!"

Last edited:
Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So you have whereof to boast, in securing your own salvation.
Sure, , there are forms of ungodly boastings, not to be confused with,

“Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” (2 Cor 10:17 ESV)

Anything that attempts to camouflage the race of full persuasion by what the Holy Spirit detailed, you know, things like, "draw near", or to act upon what we, "must believe that He is a rewarder". All such corrections of the above must point back to God's will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Matthew 5:8
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Spurgeon says, "What a privilege it is to see God here! A glimpse of him is heaven below! In Christ Jesus the pure in heart behold the Father. ... Lord, make us pure in heart, that we may see thee!"
Thank God for brother Spurgeon!

Upvote 0